KEF LS50 Wireless II with External DAC

Is it possible to use an external DAC in LS50W 2?

Since the primary speaker has an analog input (3.5mm), I can’t see any reason why you couldn’t connect an external DAC. I think this would result in three conversions - D/A, A/D and D/A - so I’m not sure why you would want to do it.

In short, we can’t bypass the internal DACs right ?

From what I understand, both speakers have their own DAC. So even if you could bypass the DAC in the main speaker, you would still have a A to D conversion to send the signal to the slave.
The KEFs and a lot of those active speakers don’t seem to be engineered with modularity in mind. I’d recommend getting the Passive version if you want to mix and match equipment.

I think that’s right.

Thank you Jack & James very helpful explanation… was just wondering since it seems LS50W1 is able to bypass internal DAC, based on previous discussion. I am trying to improve the so-so DAC in LS50W II

Not true regarding LS50W 1… there is no way to bypass the internal DAC. These speakers use DSP for their digital crossover.

Some owners DO feed LS50W’s an analog signal from an external DAC, but all you can really do is try it for yourself and see if it sounds better to you. For me it didn’t sound much different. YMMV of course.

1 Like

got it very helpful thanks!

I’m not going to labour the point, but just to add a little bit more info here. The analogue input goes through A/D conversion, and then is treated in exactly the same way as the rest of the inputs.

Some people do feed the analogue input with a separate DAC, and some prefer it, saying that it sounds ‘better’ - but if that’s the case, it’s just showing how transparent our A/D and D/A is if we’re keeping the sonic signature of the additional DAC! :wink:

2 Likes

Well, if you dislike the internal DAC and it’s an issue for you I’d consider selling them and getting the META’s or finding a good deal on the original LS50s. Then you can get a good amplifier and experiment around with DACs.

Sometimes a picture says more then …

2 Likes

Although using 3.5mm input still reach the same digtital preamp.
I can get different sound by using external dac.

The onboard dac in LS50WII is good. It is very pure, with very dark background.
With external dac (I used Cyrus Lyruis to test, it is a big all in one streaming dac amp) , i get more lively sound , wider soundstage, with some more detail , with a little bit more noise.