KEF LS50 wireless - roon ready? [not roon ready, but supported natively]

You are the only one who starts talking smack in a very friendly and informative thread. Drop it please!

Besides, looking at this forums and other forums, I think its safe to say that while KEF LS50 Wireless is an excellent speaker, KEF has lots of work to do both for their app and for their support.

The KEF LS50s were great speakers long before they became Ā« wireless Ā».

Kojak talks tough.

AJ

Who loves ya, baby?

1 Like

I have used and enjoyed Meridian Active speakers for years as I like the system design that I donā€™t have to ā€˜Hot Rodā€™. This approach has saved me a fortune over the years as I just enjoy music without the hassle and options to upgrade.
So I am pleased to see more companies go the active speaker route. With modern technology it seems so much more is possible also.

Itā€™s almost as though weā€™re going full circle - back to the days of the radiogram, and away from hifi separatesā€¦ :wink:

It makes a lot of sense though, different combinations of speakers, amps and dacs sound differently together, and finding a good combination is not easy. Also, all those flashy exteriors of amps and dacs cost a lot of money, so price/performance for powered and wireless speakers will always be better if done correctly.

Its also almost magical to connect a smartphone through WiFi direct to a pair of speakers and get real HiFi sound :slight_smile:

1 Like

In the absence of any official commentary, weā€™ll get a sense for this from the numbers of refurbished units when they start to show up as well as new reports from owners.

Does Kef sell refurbs?
Besides the Amazon comment I posted Iā€™ve seen people in a few other forums report the same thing. Thats pretty anecdotal though so hard to say how often it occurs. It would be interesting to know how many were from people who bought them early as I did.

Accessories4less.com is an authorized B stock / refurbished / open box (etc) seller for KEF in the US. The KEF direct store occasionally sells refurbā€™s and B stock too. Quantities can be very limited though.

Iā€™m very eager to get the Roon update for the KEFs. Iā€™ve been musing over whether the ethernet input will sound different to the USB input. So last night - after a couple of beers - I did a little experiment. This is not an accurate test and completely subjective.

Test 1: Play Daft Punkā€™s ā€˜Beyondā€™, Redbook CD from Audirvana Plus 3.1 to the KEFā€™s ethernet input. Audirvana installed on my MacBook which is connected via. wifi to my LAN. The KEFs are also on this LAN.

Test 2: Play the same track but now via. my normal audio chain: ROCK/ROON->microRendu->KEF USB.

Firstly, there is an audible difference between these two set-ups. I immediately noticed that the bass on Test 1 was significantly heavier with a lot more presence. So, I got quite excited about this. Going back to the microRendu the bass sounded a tad lighter.

Secondly, after listening through the track several times in both set-ups I noticed that I was getting quite fatigued listening to the Audirvana setup. So, I delved into this a bit more with some more critical listening of sections of that track. Loss of coherence is how I would describe it. All the usual sounds were there on this track however they were all ā€˜individualā€™ā€¦ there was no cohesion to the overall sound which, to my ears anyway, has become critical to sound qualifying as musical. I also noticed that the sound was now more digital and harsh. These werenā€™t subtle differences.

So, putting aside the uncontrolled variables in this setup (different music renderers, wifi vs. ethernet) for now, Iā€™d say that Iā€™m now viewing the Roon custom integration with the KEFs as an interesting experiment. I thought Iā€™d be just ditching the USB input and going all in on the ethernet direct connection. Now Iā€™m not so sureā€¦

Yes it will be interesting to see the differences. I think a lot of us will be A/Bā€™ing this way with whatever we are using via USB right now. I think the Roon team will do a really good job with SQ but then there is the factor of it not being full RAAT.

Hi Geoff,

there is no ā€˜almostā€™ about itā€¦

http://www.ruarkaudio.com/products/r7-high-fidelity-radiogram

Aaargh! ā€œJust when you thought it was safe to go back into the waterā€ā€¦

Just the legs alone bring back memoriesā€¦

Just needs a Raspberry Pi nailed round the back to Roonify it. :slight_smile:

Although we are big fans of both Roonification and adding Raspberry Piā€™s to things, Roon does not recommend using nails to attach anything to audio equipment.

9 Likes

Well Radiograms were made of wood in my dayā€¦ :slight_smile: Shame Ruark arenā€™t a partner really.

It is quite funny to see !
I actually like it. Got to be a step up over many soundbars and am sure the hybrid audio/ furniture/ tv approach will go down terribly well in John Lewis. :wink:

Interesting. Was there any dsp being applied in Audirvana and/or Roon? eg. izotope upsampling in A+ or AU units or anything? Likewise was DSP enabled at all in Roon? I assume you were using DLNA/UPnP for A+ - I donā€™t think there is any other choice. For the mRendu were you using RoonBridge/RAAT? I think the only valid way to do this test is if both sources are sending out the exact same digital copy of the music.