KEF LS50 wireless - roon ready? [not roon ready, but supported natively]

Yup. This may not be a well received dose of advice, but it is needed. If you rely on MacOS exclusively, then you are not that serious about computer/digital audio. If you are serious about computer/digital audio, then you should have at least a spare Windows PC on hand.

Too many software programs, such as for CD ripping or making acoustic measurements, are unavailable or limited in functionality on MacOS. I may use MacOS in my personal and professional pursuits, but about four years ago, I bought an inexpensive Windows notebook largely for the purpose of CD ripping. It has proven a wise decision for that purpose and others pertaining to computer/digital audio.

AJ

What a JOKE!
Stop trying to start flame war please, This is 2017 for crying out loud!
There is no proprietary need for Windows only not even for CD ripping

If you knew what ran on most embedded devices including your “Audiophile” endpoints/dacs/devices/blah/blah/blah
 You would probably have a heart attack.

2 Likes

C’mom! This is 2017 and KEF require you to connect the speaker to computers to update the firmware? Can’t have it done through its pathetic App or automatically through wifi?

1 Like

This is a fairly standard practice. WiFi signals aren’t as reliable as wired connections and a failed firmware update can leave the product bricked. The same reasoning applies to devices that are required to be run from a mains power source rather than their battery.

No it’s not. I can’t remember the last time I encountered a wifi network problem at home. AND LS50W does have ethernet connection if it’s only about wifi stability. OTA is the new standard practice as of 2017.

In the English language, bluntly stating “no it’s not” the way you did is considered very rude.

Please understand, just because your WiFi network is great does not mean that everyone’s WiFi network is great. Spend 15 minutes in a call center and that becomes abundantly clear. Furthermore, when something goes wrong, regardless of the reason, an awful lot of people freak out and lose all sense of proportion.

Devices that use OTA updates typically have no alternative, like mobile phones. To randomly make a baseless assertion that this has suddenly become a new standard practice, just this year, demonstrates a sizeable lack of familiarity with this subject.

Lastly a manufacturer like KEF, who do not have a long tradition in this type of hardware and firmware development, would be extremely unwise and ill advised to step right out onto the bleeding edge and risk alienating customers for the extremely minor convenience of updating via WiFi.

No it is not. You may consider it rude but there is no convention that states that being blunt about a subject is ruder in one language than another. That doesn’t mean he is right, but disagreeing with you isn’t rude.

2 Likes

You may be correct where American (or American English) is concerned. Linguistic conventions differ from scientific conventions in that they are not formally documented but rather the result of accepted and acceptable norms.

Some software and even audio hardware apps only run on Mac. It works both ways.

Hey, I am not trying to pick up a fight here. Sorry if anyone feels offended.

However, OTA isn’t rocket science, and it can be easily designed prone to connectivity issues. The firmware can be downloaded and checked before the updated actually happen. Maybe the speaker can’t handle this due to hardware limitation(though I seriously doubt that is the case), well, it should. My 5 years old body scale can do that.

I like my LS50W a lot but only because of its sound quality. KEF might not have enough resources/money to implement OTA or update through its APP. Ok, it might be forgivable. But it doesn’t make it less frustrating to install VM on my Macbook and sit on the floor in front of the speaker just to update the firmware. I don’t like this user experience. It’s so stone age. Is it really too much to ask for a better user experience? KEF named it Wireless and advertises it being the future of HiFi

2 Likes

I owned Meridian DSP’s and the fw upgrade process was similar if not worse!

Russ

1 Like

Still loads of stuff from many manufacturers requiring manual firmware updates owing to system architecture. Nuisance though.

Exactly. It should be the default for any device unless the technology prohibits it - unlikely on a design this new.

For what it’s worth, KEF are already at the forefront of technology releasing an active wireless speaker like this - so why not get the whole package right? A bad user experience is never a good idea.

If it’s any consolation, updating a Devialet Expert requires a computer and an SD card reader, and is a multistage process.

For what it’s worth I update my iPhone OTA.

Don’t forget these things are still quite outside of the core competence of ‘HiFi companies’ – you’d be surprised to know how dependent they are on middle men / third parties for their bits & bytes.

Getting ‘the whole package right’ is not easy from that perspective – they’ll get there in the end, but surely not in one go. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I agree with all and also talked to Kef about it.
Airplay is a hardware thing in most speakers but perhaps they could do Shairplay in software. Not really sure.

People who have or had the Devialet seem to think the Kefs are superior from what I have read. Interesting.

WiFi may not be as reliable but if you can’t do a firmware update over your wifi network then something is wrong.

A lot of people don’t feel the need for a sub including me.

I’m surprised I didn’t know about this firmware update.
Yes needs to be Mac too but I can apply it through Parallels on my work Mac.
I’m sure a high proportion of Kef owners use Macs.
I hope Kef isn’t cheaping out with crummy software developers in India or China.
Firmware updates should be able to be applied through the Kef app.