KEF LS50W: is the DAC the worse part of the package?

Hi all,

I just read around that the DAC built in the KEFs are the worst part of them.

I own a Mojo and I could use it, paired to an iPhone as Roon endpoint.

BUT, for comfort reasons, I find using the KEF directly as Roon Endpoint a very nice thing.

So, what do you think about the internal DAC of the Kefs? It’s really so bad as many people say?

PS: I still didn’t do an A/B test (mojo and internal kef dac).

If you like the sound, why do you care?
Do the comparison and then you will have something to go on if it really bothers you.

2 Likes

I just ask what you think about that affirmations.

I am pretty new to the Kefs, they still in burn-in, I even still didn’t connect my sub to them.

Just wanted an opinion from people with more time with them.

The ‘problem’ is, there’s always a better DAC, somewhere.
As has already been stated, just relax and enjoy the sound they make :grinning:

4 Likes

If you use an external DAC into the analogue inputs on the Kefs, you will still be using the internal DAC in the Kefs because the analogue input is converted to 192/24 internally by an ADC before being passed through internal DSP and on to the internal DACs and amps for each driver.

Now, if you have a DAC you like the sound of, there’s no reason not to experiment and see if you like the sound of it through the analogue input, but you’ll lose some of the Roon functionality. (Volume Control from Roon).

I’ve used both KEF native through Wifi and Roon (and with KEF apps), BluOS Node2 connected via analog and quite frankly, there is a difference, but not necessarily better. So, for what they are used for (background and dedicated listening at times), I like the simplicity of keeping it native and the sound is good enough. To help provide context, these are in an apartment, so size/performance was my main driver (and wife appeal).

I think the differences most people hear when they change DAC are mainly EQ differences.

With Roon we now have the ability to play around with EQ within DSP. This, to me, is hugely powerful, and is one of the main reasons I went to Roon + LS50w and sold my passive LS50. Because, as great as the passives are, I didn’t have… couldn’t afford… and couldn’t be bothered investing the time and effort swapping and changing sources and amplification until I got a sound I liked in my specific listening space… my lounge.

With Roon and DSP and with a small PEQ tweak, I’ve got the sound I want, with minimum effort. I can now just sit back and enjoy the music.

Bliss! :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

Hi Marco,

Not sure exactly how people are coming to the conclusion that the DACs (there are four of them, one for each amplifier) are a weak link, as you cannot bypass them without extensive DIY.

The analogue input goes through A/D so we can apply the DSP and phase correction, so using the Mojo is doubling up on the conversions. I do have a Mojo/Poly and have on occasion connected to LS50W. Presentation is different. Not necessarily better, as that’s obviously down to personal preference).

Give it a try though (with the Mojo set to line level). I just thought I’d give you the rundown on what is happening in the signal chain. Whichever way you enjoy it, enjoy it. That’s the main thing here.

2 Likes

There are 2 problems with the KEFS.

1. The streaming app, which is well documented.
  2. The DAC, which is embarrassingly bad. While the speakers are rated at 24/192 when I try streaming via Roon those files, the entire think starts skipping (like a damaged album). So, I’ve routed everything through my Bluesound 2.1,

I occasionally stream via Roon to the KEFs, but only CD quality music.

I agree. I am going to be connecting a Bluesound 2i to my LS50W to see if it improves streaming quality. Anyone who is using the Bluesound; how are you connecting it to the LS50? Digital Coax, Optical, RCA? I know some have had issues with 2i and Roon. What is the current status of this? I used to have a Bluesound node 2 and it streamed perfectly. I got rid of it prematurely when I got the KEF.

The difference in DACs (and digital front ends) is TINY, absolutely minuscule, compared to the differences in speakers. Speakers are awful performers, anything that converts mechanical to electrical or visa versa is awful in comparison to things done 100% in the electrical domain.

So I wouldn’t worry about the DAC, when the moving coil driver in front of it sucks orders of magnitude worse.

Also as said earlier, if you like them enjoy them. Who cares if they could be some tiny tiny fraction better at the expense of usability or looks. Because at the end of the day if they aren’t as nice to use you won’t be as happy with them even if they did sound slightly better.

Sheldon

2 Likes

I use the RCA out on the Node 2i to the RCA inputs on the KEF active speaker. Not a single problem streaming with that setup.

The issue you are describing in point 2 is not a DAC issue, but a streamer issue. This is not typical, I stream 192/24 via wi-fi from Roon to my LS50W, no problems at all.
You are still using the DACs, even when you feed the Kefs analogue.

Some units have a documented issue streaming anything above 96/24 via wi-fi or ethernet, but this is not a DAC problem. I’ve been lucky with mine, I don’t have any problems.

Hi,

regarding the DAC issue… i‘ve two setups:

Setup 1:
LS: KEF LS50 Meta
DAC: RME DAC FS
Amp: Marantz PM14S1

Setup 2:
LS: KEF LS50 Wireless II

Playing music from qobuz (96KHz, 192 KHz) sounds quite different on both setups.

The passive setup sounds like live music but has restricted sound stage. The music is more before me. Hearing distance is 5m.

The active setup has a greater sound stage, i‘m more inside of the music but the live feeling is missing.

Also in case of tv hearing the active setup has problem with voices the sound is more compact.

The passive setup shows distinct clear understandable and present voices… great :-)…

I address the clear voices towards the RME DAC. Which in conclusion leads me the statement that the DAC in the LS50WII is worser than a studio DAC like the RME.

Nevertheless both setups delivers fine music (with restrictions on tv usage on the LS50WII).

But i would agree to the statement/question of the thread starter. At least the DAC of the LS50WII can be better :slight_smile: … the question is if this would be possible in the price region of the KEFs.

1 Like

Does anyone know what DAC chips are used in the LS50 Mk2’s?

Just curious.

1 Like

Who cares, they sound amazing.

Just curious. I already own a pair and know how they sound.

i would also be curious … i would like to have a full equalizer to be able to adapt it better to the room.

The „amazing“ for me is relative if i compare with my passive setup. This is definitive better and i would like to have the same sound with the ls50wii …