KEF LSX Introduction

Hi Dan,

LS50W always samples to 24/192kHz

Great. Thanks for your super quick response @Ben_Hagens. :slight_smile:

I guess this question is in the same category, but …
is there a capacitor in series with the tweeter unit with the purpose of protecting the driver from damaging signals from the amplifier (in case of a fault for example)?

Got my LSX a couple days ago. They sound incredible. I just posted a question under Nucleus and then found this thread so will ask here @Ben_Hagens maybe can answer too.

I have them wired to each other then to my router via Cat 6. Using Nucleus which sees them as KEF and sounds great. I’m using mostly FLAC files of my own and Tidal.

Question is; I have a Meridien Explorer 2 DAC which unfolds MQA via USB. Am I better to use this DAC in there somehow? If so, how? I prefer not to use my spare USB port on the Nucleus as I have another plan for that. But my iMac is right there so can use that for the DAC if need be but will the Nucleus see the KEF? And is it worth the sound upgrade, if there is one? Thanks for the help

Hi ogs,

I’ll pose the question when I’m back in the office next week.

1 Like

Hi James,

You can use the Explorer into the LSX, but be aware that the analogue input does go through A/D so that we can apply the speaker sound settings, time correction, and of course the interspeaker connectivity.

I’m not sure how much benefit in regards to MQA there will be, as the digital signal will be resampled to 48/24 (Wireless) or 96/24 (wired). You’ll more than likely have a sonic signature change, which you may like, you may not. Doesn’t hurt to give it a try.

In respect to LSX being seen in your proposed setup, I imagine it would be the Explorer that would be seen in Roon instead, as that would technically be the endpoint I believe.

1 Like

Hey Ben thanks for the response. Ok I will give it a try and yeah I think you are right, it will be the Explorer seen as endpoint.

Ben,

Thanks for all your helpful input on the LSX. Any news on when Airplay will be added via firmware? I bought my LSX in November and have been waiting for this feature. A nice complement to ROON.

Cheers,
Kirk

Same here. Wonder what the problem is.

Hi Kirk,

Sorry for the delay in getting to this. I don’t have a date as of yet, but I believe we are not far away. Thanks for your patience on this - I’m really excited to be getting AirPlay 2 onto LSX, as you say it is an excellent complement to Roon.

Hi Ben. I know you won’t be able to talk about dates etc, but I was just wondering if Kef are aiming, at some point in the future, to make the LSX fully Roon Ready?
Trying to make a decision between the LSX and a Roon Ready integrated/passive speaker option and this would go quite some way to helping me make that choice.
Thanks for your time and effort on this forum by the way

2 Likes

Great question! It would be really nice to be able to group my study (LSXs) with the rest of the house…

Hi Jay,

As far as I know, LSX will remain Roon Tested. Bit of a shame that the Chromecast Audio is no more - with the LSX having the USB power output, it’s a very clean solution - in fact, one of the guys in the office has blutacked his CCA to the back of his desktop LSX.

I haven’t really looked into Roon/AirPlay yet in terms of multiroom - I live in Hong Kong - here for multiroom, I just turn the volume up louder! :joy: but that might be a route for multiroom grouping (I don’t think AirPlay supports RAAT?).

3 Likes

And now it’s on the website I can let you lovely folks know that AirPlay 2 will be on LSX 3rd June via the OTA firmware update!

3 Likes

Hi @Ben_Hagens , is Airplay 2 planned for the LS50W’s?

New stand for LSX, looks good.

2 Likes

Hi Sean,

No plans that I know of I’m afraid

1 Like

Won’t fit on my desk

1 Like

AirPlay 2 is here - yippee!

1 Like

Hi everybody,

I’m got my LSX recently days and have the problem when I try to played them on AUX connection.

Both PC and my DAP have hum noise (Fuzzy something calling)

Anyone have the same problem as my?

How to resolve it? I need some advice.

P.S. Another connection is fine ,Roon can detect it’s via wireless connection.

Thank you.