KEF speaker no longer connecting

Something changed since last weekend when my LS50 and LSX both worked fine. Now I get the message “device refused to connect to Roon”. The KEF firmware hasn’t changed. Other DACS and streamers just fine.

What’s up?

Absolutely no problems with my LS50W II’s and latest Roon build. Perhaps there was a power cut or something you’re not aware of. Best bet is to restart (i.e.pull the power) everything, from modem, routers, switches, Roon core etc on forward to the speakers themselves. If something’s not appearing in Roon or on the network, always start with rebooting the modem/router first.

Have you tried pulling the power plug out of the KEFS for a short time as I have heard others mentioning that in the past.
Also try rebooting your Roon Core and maybe router in case something has happened.

It often does the trick

Did all of that. Rebooted cable modem and WiFi. Unplugged speakers for 10 minutes and plugged back in. I think that Roons interaction with the KEF stream app is broken. Handshake not happening would be my computer guy guess.

Note that the Apple streaming works, it’s only the Roon streaming which I’m told uses the KEF stream capability that doesn’t work.

Reliable for many years. This is a pretty sudden break.

Very strange, are they still showing up under Settings → Audio at all as Roon Ready or completely disappeared?

I vaguely seem to remember someone doing a software reset on their KEFs before for something like this, but I don’t want to recommend that to you until a Roon support representative jumps on.

Hopefully they can get some details from your system and offer some system specific advice

the KEFs don’t show as Roon Ready, they show as Roon Tested.

The LSX showed under Roon Tested, and under Airplay (which I generally don’t use… I’ve done some compares and it does not sound quite as good.) I enabled Airplay when they wouldn’t seem to hold connection to Roon when Roon Tested was enabled, and they played fine.

Just noticed that the LS50s (I have the old ones) are only showing up under Roon Tested. NOT under Airplay also, which is odd. I am going to look up doing a reset… That the LS50 isn’t showing Airplay also is unusual (even thought I don’t use it, I’ve always seen it available in Roon.)

I don’t remember either the original LSX or LS50 as being Roon Ready, I thought that was only the II model’s.

Didn’t they use something KEF specific for those a bit like they do for Sonos.

They use KEF’s streaming app. Which is why they show up under Roon Tested.

Hopefully Roon will do some diagnostic tests for you on Monday :crossed_fingers:

1 Like

Do the KEF work with the KEF apps? Either KEF control or KEF Stream?
Do you have them hooked up with ethernet or just WiFi?

And just like that… magic. Both sets of my old KEF wireless speakers started working again yesterday (the first day I noticed them back in the list of output devices in Roon… Hadn’t looked for over a week.)

I notice that there was an update to Roon 3 days ago. Also, looking at screenshots I’d taken in Roon of the speaker settings and URLs… for that period of time when none of the old KEF speakers worked, they all had IP addresses beginning in 169. Which isn’t how any address in my network begins, nor is it the IP address the speakers showed in my network. I suspect that something in a Roon update changed the interaction between Roon and KEF Stream (which for old KEF wireless is how they qualify as Roon Tested) and when Roon tried to communicate with KEF Stream, it was using a bad address… which would match up with the error messages I was getting at the time - Roon, couldn’t connect with them. Could see them, but saw them at addresses that weren’t actually on my network.

Now what Roon reports for network addresses matches what my network reports.

So in the last few days, something happened that made everything work again. (I hadn’t tried anything new since a week ago when I tried resetting both speaker sets which still didn’t fix anything.) While I’m glad things are working again, it would be so much nicer if Roon or KEF would post a “whoops, we got this” or something so that I wouldn’t have spent the last week thinking about using the speakers as sporting clays targets.

Hi Edward
That would be a self assigned IP address that begins 169.254 and means that the KEFS could not get an IP address from your DHCP Server.

I am amazed that anything could talk to them in that state unless you were using one of the non network inputs.do you have Ethernet and WiFi enabled?

It doesn’t sound like a Roon issue to me, but the importance thing is everything is working again now and you have music again

Story ends for the LSX. Saw an amazing deal on an open box LSXII, which is Roon Ready, and bought them. Instantly found by Roon. Listening for two days now and the sound quality is significantly better. I know the speaker components etc - aren’t supposedly any different between the two, so the difference must be in the quality of RATT streaming vs streaming via AirPlay or the KEF Stream integration. The difference is enough that when I was first listening my wife came in and said, wow, the new speakers sound so much better. More detail, sturdier bass, seem to fill the (small) room much better.

I didn’t think to do a DNLA streaming comparison, probably should have before I shipped the old speakers off to my niece. So worth the price for the upgrade (particularly with my niece’s excitement - she listens via DLNA.)