Khadas Tone2 Pro

I’ve tested DSD up to DSD512 (I only have on DSD512 album in my library, sounds great).

Yes, there’s a crazy amount of functionality with the Tone2 Pro. I’m still evaluating and veritying my test results, but I think I’d recommend upsampling 44.1/48 kHz content to at least 88.2 kHz to take best advantage of the internal filters in the DAC. Be aware that there is no S/PDIF output (in spite of what the the manual seems to suggest). Also the S/PDIF input supports neither MQA nor DoP, but it does work great with PCM up to 24-bits, 192 kHz.

Sound quality may come down to personal preference. I’m comparing the sound of the internal headphone amp to that of the micro iDSD Signature ($650) and NEO iDSD ($700) from iFi Audio. Driving Sennheiser HD650 headphones via a balanced cable, the Tone2 Pro is so much more engaging, to my ears. Even with the more aggressive Grado RS2e headphones, the Tone2 Pro is a sweet listen.

I’m looking forward to having the balanced RCA to XLR cables so that I can see how it stacks up driving an external balanced amp.

1 Like

Im looking for a dac amp to use in this chain: Laptop( core)> dac/amp to Rpi Ropieee> lg v40 or tablet as controller

Forgot to say i use 64 Audio u12T iem. Do u think khadas 2 sounds as good or better than your Ifi’s?

S/PDIF works. Just upgrade firmware. Here is a statement from manufacturer

1 Like

Hmmmm…I’m not sure that I understand this chain, but if you mean that your endpoint will be a Raspberry Pi transport feeding a USB DAC/Amp, then the Tone2 Pro will work very well. This is how I’m using it right now. I do find that i do prefer the internal headphone amp on the Tone2 over the iFi DAC/Amps. Never thought I’d say that, but it’s true. I suspect that when driving an external amp via a balanced connection, the NEO will pull ahead. Will see…

Im still learning about endpoints/bridge etc, so im not completely sure on how everything works yet. Yes, thats my though=) Using my laptop as core. So my laptop will be in my closet. Then i want to have a dac/amp on my bedside table. And to be able to let the dac/amp speak with the Roon core without being attached to it with cable is to use the dac/amp with Rpi with f.ex Ropieee? right?

So f.ex Khadas 2 with Rpi on my bedside table and controll roon software(finding songs etc) with my ablet or phone. Thats what i want.

I probably dont need the Rpi since i just have “headfi” gear and not speakers at all. I can just attach the dac/amp to Laptop(Roon core). BUT i have read that its strongly recommended to have it seperated?

Have i got it right now?=) hope so, cause it isnt very easy to understand the Roon system=)

Wow! that sounds phenomenal! This think kicks above its pricepoint? Saw a review of it on youtube. almost all chips that Kadas 2 has are used on flagship desktop models also. I was originally after the Ifi products cause of 3D+ and Xbass function. 3D effects/spatialness/binaural sound etc is a guilty pleasure of mine when it works right and sounds good. If i had enough money i would buy myself a Smyth Realiser A16 immediately.

But i heard that the ZEN have imbalance issues etc on ASR forum. it didnt measure very good either. Idk if it has anything to say , if its audible or not., I have to buy everyting blind due to where i live.Thats mean that its very tempting to buy something that is objectively good=)

1 Like

Been running the Tone 2 for a couple of weeks through Rsp 4 running VitOS to a pair of balanced 58x Jubilee headphones. Wasn’t expecting much when I bought it but seems to be a stellar performer.

Yes. This is how I’m using it now. Works very well. I would suggest an extra 5V USB-C power adapter for the Tone2 Pro (plugs into the “I2S” input) so that power is not limited by the RPi.

On “3D+” and “Xbass”, I’ve actually found that Roon’s Crossfeed DSP (esp. “Chu Moy’s Settings”) sounds way better than iFi’s “3D+”. And “Xbass” is easy to achieve by adding a little LF shelf in Roon’s parametric EQ. I save these as DSP presets so that I can quickly flip them on for any zone in the house from my phone.

Oh! I tried the Meier one, but the soundstage decreased and felt way less 3D. Have tontry the Chu moy one! I need to check that in Parametric EQ. I havent EQ’ed much, and have always been a little hesistant to try since i need to learn it. I never EQ’d when i played in band.

So thats mean that the Khadas 2 is a better buy than Ifi zen can?

1 Like

Have u tried DSD files woth Khadas 2 yet? Does it work now?

Im also wondering why the spec says: 69 db crosstalk in 3.5m and 117 db with 4.4mm? 4.4 must be SO much better? I think im gonna order one if DSD works on it?

The Tone2 Pro processes DSD files fine for me.

Nice! Read that some people had troubles with it:) how high rate did u try? DSD 512 natively? What do u think about the Khadas? Very very close to buying it! Just need to find out about the crosstalk!

Yes…DSD512. I only have one DSD512 track.

Please share your data source for the crosstalk. Also, do you have data for single-ended crosstalk for other DAC/Amps, like those from iFi Audio? I have not observed any issues, but I can try to do some measurements this evening.

Edit: I did find this, but I wonder what is typical for DAC/Amps with 3.5mm single-ended outputs.

I did find this quote:

Typically this crosstalk voltage will be between 30 and 50 dB lower than the wanted signal, but that won’t affect stereo perception in any significant way. Gramophone pickups often barely manage 20dB separation, after all, and nobody complains much about that! However, this headphone crosstalk issue is a real phenomenon, and it can become audible if the stereo audio source has radically different signals on each channel.

@Thomas_Lund, I can’t imagine that ~69 dB of separation is inadequate for normal program material, but if minimizing crosstalk is critical for you, either go with balanced cables or see if you can track down a DAC/Amp that performs better. Let us know what you find.

Haha, crosstalk its not so important. Is just that i almost get obsessed about an item right before i buy. I cant try anything before i buy due to where i live. Therefore i need to be sure that i buy something that is objectively good and read measurements. God i wouød love to go into a shop and try before buy!!:slight_smile:

Well, ifi zen can 6xx/normal has 50 db crosstalk. Ifi stated themself that Micro BL has 79db. Atom has 87 but that is dbU at 150 ohm.

You seem to have a lot of knownledge for measurements. Do you think the khadas measures good comparw to the competition in same price bracket? :slight_smile:

Yes. The Tone1 and Tone2 Pro measure very well compared to competition at anywhere near their price. They actually are enjoyable to listen to as well (not always a given with good measurements).

Hey. Have you seen Amir’s measurement of Khadas 2?

2 Likes