Laptop for ROCK

HI.
Can I use a Thinkpad type laptop to install ROON ROCK ?

It may or may not work. ROCK is supported on specific Intel NUC devices. The Linux kernel it uses comes with some other hardware drivers as well, and if they happen to work with the Thinkpad, then it might work.

Also, what Thinkpad? There are lots of those - make sure that it meets the minimum specs (or is not too far off for the things you want to do), else the whole exercise is moot.

If you have the Thinkpad already, you can always try.
You can, of course, also install some Linux and then install Roon Server on it instead of ROCK

1 Like

As you dont get anything visually with Rock seems a bit of a waste of a laptop and you might likely run into driver issues for keyboard and touchpad.

Once you put ROCK on your laptop, it can’t be used for anything else.

And since a laptop is not the on the specified hardware list, your use of Roon will be tinkering and not officially supported.

1 Like

But no one is going to stop you from trying. Read up on the MOCK section to see what crazy stuff people have done. But this is solely at your own risk. You brick your laptop and don’t know how to get out of the situation you find yourself in, you were warned. But you can run Roon server on windows or linux on that same thinkpad if you like, that’s supported.

I think you may find installing a linux flavor and setting up roon server makes the laptop more useful in the long run.

My opinion only.

3 Likes