Laptop requirements as remote only

Core Machine (Operating system/System info/Roon build number)

TEXT GOES HERE

Network Details (Including networking gear model/manufacturer and if on WiFi/Ethernet)

Audio Devices (Specify what device you’re using and its connection type - USB/HDMI/etc.)

TEXT GOES HERE

Description Of Issue

Hi, I hope this is in the right place. Just after some info.
I currently use an iPad as a wireless remote only but it is a shared unit so I am considering buying a modest laptop for use as my remote access. It will be used for little else.
What specs should I be looking for?
My Library has about 1300 albums, around 1000 in the Roon library on my desktop Core and around 300 in Tidal.
All delivered by an Antipodes server/streamer.
Pretty happy with the last update too btw. No real issues here at least.

Thanks, Ian

Hi Ian,

The demands of remotes are pretty light generally, it’s a fairy thin client. There’s no storage or DB requirements and most laptops should be up to the job. There’s no Chrome OS version, but if there was I reckon most Chromebooks could also do the job.

Good luck,
Carl

If it’s going to be a dedicated remote and no other duties , why bother with a laptop.

I would have thought a tablet a much better bet.

I use an iPad mini (7 in) and an iPad Pro (12.9) but there are hoards of medium size android devices .

I don’t find the soft keyboard a problem , I would go for arm chair comfort rather than keyboard comfort

Just my 2p

1 Like

Depends on your definition of “modest”, and whether you would use that laptop for other activities. I use my 2018 MacBook Pro as a remote (as I have it with me all the time as it is my main work tool since working from home), and I particularly like the Roon client for MacOS. You might think of one of the new M1 MacBook Airs - costs more than some, but the performance / price ratio is very favourable.

1 Like

iPad Air or MacBook Air are pretty good for general use and as a Roon remote. I am myself actually thinking of getting one of those.

Thanks all, for taking the time to respond.

I do enjoy using the iPad now but sometimes a change is as good etc etc.
In my experience the touchscreen is faultless and I’ve never really enjoyed the touchpad mouse control on a laptop although I was prepared to get used to it if there were any tangible benefits in using a laptop.

With my Core on a desktop in another room LAN connected to the Antipodes and with the iPad wireless remote, it all works pretty seamlessly.

Hahahaha, I think I’m convincing myself. I’ll probably continue with a new iPad.

Thanks again.
regards, Ian

3 Likes

Despite the cost , seriously think about the 12.9 the experience is WOWWWWW

1 Like

Thanks all for your input.
I have decided to stick with an iPad.
Couldn’t afford the 12.9 and didn’t want the mini.
I’m just glad to have one that is mine alone and available when I want it.

1 Like