Large box set issues

In case I wasn’t as clear as I should have been, I actually like where I’ve ended up with Roon’s treatment of this particular Hewitt box set, so any further experiments would strictly be in the interest of trying to understand what factors are more or less significant and end up determining final outcome. Ultimately I did try every suggestion that’s been mentioned to me–and I’m appreciative of them all. In the end, I presented Roon the following:
\Angela Hewitt
\CD1
1 - trackname
2 - trackname
\CD2
1 - trackname
2 - trackname

And I made sure that each of the ‘important’ tags was consistent, as folks have recommended.
When I presented this set of folders\files to my Organized Folder, Roon correctly identified the box set and put everything in the form you’ve suggested, Rob:

The only thing it did NOT do is treat this as a multi-disc set (one album with 16 discs). Instead, it treats it as 11 albums, 5 of which are 2-disc albums. In this particular case, I’m happy with the result, because I can attach meaningful (and original) covers to each of the albums, instead of having 11 identical box-set covers. As far as I can tell, AllMusic appears to treat it as a multi-disc set, so I don’t know if the result I got is because of something in the chain being ‘smart enough’ to recognize that these all (with one exception) were pre-existing albums just compiled into a set or if I just didn’t convince Roon. But the end result on my Organized folder looks identical to my other multi-disc sets in every way that I can see.

I’m sure I’ll do more experimentation with another box set, inevitably, but for now I’d rather leave this one just as it is.

Appreciate all of the help.

5 posts were split to a new topic: Comments on clasical music metadata, Tidal and supported file formats

Just in the USA: Amazon.com sells big download mp3 boxes for less than $10. An awesome way to explore classical. Don’t know how Roon can handle this.