Layout of Playlist Page; Feedback on Folders and Sync

I’m still exploring, getting used to the changes.

• with the existing massive font and spacing of “My Playlists” and the new massive icons, I only see 3.7 playlists at a time on my MBP laptop. Recommend smaller icons, option for tighter row spacing, Dynamic fonts for major title fonts that get smaller on smaller screen layouts.

• What is the relationship between Roon folders and Tidal Folders if any? Do we maintain folders on both platforms? Oh wait, there are no folders in the Tidal section, uh oh.

• Strong request to have Playlist show ALL playlists and have a third icon for ROON playlists. I have Roon and Tidal playlists interspersed. Of course I may be changing that with the sync. Even better would to have the All list and check box filters to turn on and off Roon, Imported, Tidal, Qobuz, etc. Let me decide what I want in the list a la filters.

• There is a friction here. To have a playlist be two way sync, it needs to be “homed” on Tidal. But the default list on Roon is Roon Playlists so I would always have to hit that Tidal icon. But to take advantage of Folders, I need Roon “homed” playlists. So you are making me choose either two way sync or folders. This is my biggest critique of the exciting new features.

Off to explore more.

2 Likes

Additional feedback, not necessarily specific to this release, but this got me back into Roon Playlists.

• There exists the ability to add “Date Added” to the Playlist track list. 99.9% of Playlist users would take this to mean “Date a track was added to a playlist”. Instead, most of the column is blank because in Roon world, this is the date the Album was added to the Roon Library. Most/many tracks are coming from albums NOT added to Roon. I recommend (a) removing that as a possible column or changing its name to Album Added Date and (2) actually having a Date Added column to be the Date a track was added to a playlist. This is extremely important to Playlist editors.

• Consider moving Show Duplicates to an always visible icon.

• Consider showing the currently playing Playlist in the Playing Now display

1 Like

Refinement of new “Add to Playlist” panel… the filter box should be always visible and your cursor in it, so you can just start typing to find a playlist quickly. Wouldn’t take much space and ease the flow.

I don’t like that all playlists are listed directly in the main menu tree and as well in random order (or at least I do not understand what is the sorting mechanism). It is at the expense of clarity and the main menu items are now too narrow and that just doesn’t look nice. It is also not good for of usability on a smartphone, as the menu items are too close together. Why don’t you leave out this endless list of all the playlists from the main tree? It’s not of great use. Instead, it would be appropriate to have a separate icon for the Roon playlists so that it is clear which playlist you are using. It should also be possible to set the default playlist (Roon, Qobuz, Tidal…) when you open to the Playlists menu.

1 Like

“Pin to Sidebar” :pushpin:

Would seem like the sensible compromise, with an option to show the three most recently updated/played playlists.

The option to pin playlist folders instead of playlists themselves, might be a more useful shortcut for some users. Allowing both to be pinned would leave that choice to the individual user.

Showing a users pinned playlists at the top
of the playlists window, regardless of their folder nesting might also make for a useful addition.

Not convinced the ‘New playlist’ option in the sidebar serves much purpose, creating playlists isn’t a function you need regular & super quick access to.

4 Likes

Agree. I also think, new playlist is not something you need as a quick access item in the main tree. I would suggest to show an item “Recent Playlists” as a collapsable item, that shows the 5 most recent playlists. It should be possible to define, if the recent playlist menu item should be expanded or collapsed when starting Roon.

Very good point, it is actually a frequent feature request to be able to know which playlist is playing and to have an easy way to go to this list

3 Likes

The current sort order on the menu AFAIK is by when the playlists were last UPDATED.

1 Like

Updated? Not played? Strange…

1 Like

Thanks for adding the ability to sort the menu list of playlists.

I think it is odd that the menu bar list shows ALL playlists and the main panel shows only Roon playlists. I think the main list should have the ability to show ALL lists and do this by default. The UI is inconsistent.