Leaving Tidal at last

My bad. Yes, that’s what it is, all about!

Betrayal maybe a strong word - but I meant of my library, rather than a betrayal of the format. And a good recording in MP3 (assuming a modern encoder) sounds pretty nice - although lossless if of course preferable. (No more MP3 downloads here - although most of them are Amazon autorips of stuff I bought on LP.)

I like that way of thinking… every little helps as they say.

That reminds me, I’ve added some Phil Collins to Tidal favourites for listening later.

My worry is that if I get too comfortable with Tidal I’ll stop buying CDs, and I like the idea of a permanent collection. I’d like to see the catalogue grow a bit, too to something closer to Spotify levels. The old and the obscure is a little under-served I think. (Or my kind of old and obscure anyway…)

I do like the integration of tidal into Roon. Last month finally my Linn DS was supported via the sonore bridge. I have a small size collection 6000 albums all in AIFF. Besides that i have qobuz sublieme for listning and buying with a discount high ress. All albums bought can be streamed directly in 192kHz as example. The catalogue of qobuz suits more my taste tbh. This last month i gave tidal another change but the hip hop and playlist are awfull besides some albums are not in high ress or cannot be found on Tidal. But i can understand that my listing habits does not reflect the majority of listners out there. Basically Tidal is not for me. I will buy a meridian explorer 2 for giggles and try MQA but tbh most relevant albums (for me) i already have in high ress. In terms of catalogue and buying music Qobuz brings more value. In terms of Roon integration Tidal is a clear winner in other words it sucks either way and i am not willing to pay 40 euro each month for both.

Have you tried Soundiiz : Manager for music accounts?

It’s simple: create a soundiiz account, connect your Spotify and Tidal accounts, find a Spotify playlist and click Convert. Choose Tidal as the destination and then manage the track list right there in soundiiz. It even shows you what tracks, if any, are not available in Tidal. The results for me so far have been spot-on. I use the free version, but my playlists aren’t very big (20 - 30 tracks). If you pay for soundiiz, all limitations on playlist size are removed, and other features are available. It may be worth the ads (free version) or a few bucks (premium version) to not be thwarted. :slight_smile:

Disclaimer: I am not promoting soundiiz for any financial or other considerations, nor am I vouching for its effectiveness for anyone other than me. I’m only suggesting it as a possible tool to convert playlists from Spotify to Tidal.

i agree i use this tool aswell very effective :slight_smile:

I second Soundiiz. I use it to manage playlists among Tidal, Deezer and Spotify. Works very well.

It wasn’t the bother of recreating my playlists manually that was my main concern. It was the fact that too many tracks were missing when I searched for them. An automated tool, however clever, is not going to make tracks available on TIDAL that are not there.

That said, I have made my peace with it and I am sticking with TIDAL (at least for now). My Spotify capable streamer has gone, so my only way to play Spotify would be through airplay to the Apple TV. (Not as nice as Roon through my Explorer2.). The alternative is to do without a streaming service altogether, and just use my own collection.

ok, instead of opening a new thread I’ll ask here :wink:

just got a 3 months trial so I’ll give Tidal another chance but first… I’m still shocked from when I tried it first, altogether with Roon, and found an inextricable mess among my local albums and Tidal’s :angry:
then I found there was a setting to keep them separate

looking now, in Roon 1.3, for that setting before entering my Tidal’s account but… can’t find it anymore :confused:

Hi Paolo,

It’s unsurprising that Tidal albums and local albums were mixed up. Part of the design of Roon is exactly that. All available music is presented together, regardless of source. A “T” is displayed in the top left corner to indicate an album is Tidal.

You can filter a view to show only Tidal or only local albums. Focus/Inspector/Storage Locations/Tidal will show all Tidal albums and invert that filter (click + to -) to show all local albums. You can bookmark that filter so you can return to it with a single click (alright, two clicks).

2 Likes

right, now I recall: “Focus” was the way to go

thank you Bob :slight_smile:

1 Like

ok… further question…

signed in to Tidal in Roon and… this time Roon is not adding the whole Tidal to my albums: just those I pick and explicitly add to my library. great! :slight_smile:

though… was I “drunk” when instead, first time (about six months ago, Roon 1.2), it did add everything from Tidal? :confused:
scanning my library, in fact, took days and Mac mini’s fans were spinning madly!

The way it is working now is definitely the way it is supposed to work.

Adding “everything” from Tidal would be a Herculean task for one little Mac mini ! I can’t think of a way to setup Roon/Tidal to do that.

Rather I suspect that either someone had already favourited a very large selection of Tidal albums on your Tidal account or you may have inadvertently (such a better word than “drunkenly” :innocent:) added a Roon Tidal collection when installing. That could result in hundreds of albums being added to your library that you didn’t explicitly choose. Even so, that shouldn’t have taken days of processing.

In any event, it seems to be working properly now which is the main thing. Do you think you may still have logs from that time ? They could be of interest to the devs.

1 Like

definitely! :slight_smile:
I’d still prefer an option to keep local and Tidal albums I pick separate though :wink:

really no idea how that could happen as I was new to both Roon and Tidal so… not even one single favourite there yet
probably did something very wrong… “inadvertently” :wink:

No logs, unfortunately: it was during my Roon trial and (also because of the above) afterwards, when I subscribed, I started fresh (and did not add my Tidal account anymore)

Why I sill have Tidal (for the second time):
Hope they will stream ECM MQA Titles.

When you first set up your Tidal account, it asks if you want to add Tidal Collections to your library, which is what you must have done.

Now that Tidal has been set up, the setting to add Tidal Collections moves to the Tidal menu. Look for “Collections” - last item along the top row.

1 Like

thank you Geoff: that explains it all :slight_smile:

when I first started Roon (and Tidal) trials, six+ months ago, I had no idea of what that was meaning so i probably answered “yes” :neutral_face:

I didn’t know that existed, thank you.

I’m leaving Spotify I added a suggestion, which has been upgraded to a new idea on Spotify’s community website. Anyone who feel strongly enough could vote it up…

I would say its premature to cancel Roon, because the fun with MQA starts right now.

I find the hi fi cd quality to be great for adding songs to my library
I do not see me purchasing much of any new music. For one I NEVER want all the cuts on a album. I LOVE to discover new music.

I also have Apple Music sub only because they have better presentation of new music. I find it there and play it on Tidal. I also have MAC’s, Iphone’s etc and Apple Music is more stable in some situations away from home than Tidal–Roon is only at home!!!

Had Spotify which has better playlists and music discover, but no lossless flies. If they do launch and Roon incorporates might consider switching.

Owning music is going the way of vinyl–it will always have a coterie of adherents but decreasing percentage. Music will be in the cloud and streamed. The ability of making and interacting with music will be greatly expanded.
We are dinosaurs.