Leaving Tidal at last

And as contrast, most of my new music is discovered a live gigs. Either going to them or as part of a team who host them.
Last night we had the Incredible Elles Bailey with her band playing The Basement in Chelmsford Essex UK. They Hail from Bristol (although the Drummer is from Weston Super mare).
They are a band to check out live with a new album recorded in Nashville due out in the summer.
I will stream though and I think this is brilliant to be able to fill the gaps, catch up with albums that are hard to find. Then with MQA promising an overall quality lift across the board over time I have to accept the world is going this way.
Not quite a dinasour then, perhaps a hybridā€¦

I jumped on that free 6-month Tidal trial. I played with it for a few days, but I had to force myself every time. I was most excited about it as another source of new music suggestions, but that was disappointing. The playlists are shallow and predictable. I couldnā€™t find a way to play them in CD quality. It is my understanding that you can play a track or album in CD quality after a few clicks, but, that just annoys me. Roon is about making it pleasant to listen to music, and the work to be done to get to CD quality in Tidal erodes and tarnishes the Roon experience. There are far better ways to learn about new music and to hear it before you buy it, without having to navigate and tolerate the visually pleasing but functionally compromised Tidal-Roon integration. A YouTube search is easier, and the quality is the same before all the clicking required to get to CD quality. Verdict: mwaā€¦ mwaā€¦ mwaaaaaaaaaaaa.

:hushed:
No need for any extra click, here, to play CD quality from Tidal. Sure you have a Tidal Hi-Fi trial? :wink:

Tidal Hi Fi is CD quality. There is no need to do anything. This integrated into Roon is seamless.
Now we also get MQA files as well.
Itā€™s easy to listen to new releases too. They can be in your library almost on release.
Well worth paying for. Music isnā€™t free. Never was, never will be.

Looks like I misunderstood. I didnā€™t know there were different trials (one Hi-Fi, another not). I assume I have the non-HiFi. $20.00 per monthā€¦ Probably worth it, but I do like owning my music. All that music goes away if Tidal goes away, right? Is there a way to save the library (not the music files, just the list of music in the library) if Tidal is cancelled or dies?

Tidal will survive if people subscribeā€¦ thatā€™s it.

1 Like

Yesā€¦you can export a list of Tidal albums you have added to your library.

I use the list export @ncpl mentions. I can own the albums any time I want, but in the meantime Tidal lets me enjoy all of them for free. Think of it as an unlimited test drive.

EDIT: I have added about 600 Tidal albums in a year. Buying them would have cost $12,000. I like owning my music too, butā€¦

4 Likes

TIDAL IS TERRIBLE AT CUSTOMER SERVICE!

Tidal have double billed me for the month of March and refuse to offer a refund.

Back in Mid Feb. I had concerns my main email address was being spoofed so I changed the address and in so by error I guess it created a new user, this was an honest error on my part and I am the ONLY person that uses TIDAL.

Here is their response:

The fact they donā€™t know the difference between an error and something done on purpose, I find absolutely crazy and the fact they are willing to blow up a long term relationship for $19.99 is absolutely disgusting and shows their true coloursā€¦ AVOID and now off to Spotify and most likely will be using Roon less.

@danny @brian @mike - this is the company you have hitched your wagon and help you growā€¦ I would be very troubled.

Thats a pain. Loose a Customer like this is simply STUPID.

1 Like

I knowā€¦ I was SHOCKED with their response.

You hear Tidal: STUPID!!!

Wow, nice customer service.

Sounds like they desperately need your extra 19.99 to survive.

I particularly like the upbeat sign-off.

Thank you for choosing TIDAL We hope you enjoy the remainder of your subscription. Have a great day!

aka F**K off, and have a nice day!

2 Likes

Just dumbā€¦ I can see them not being able to refund your money, but thereā€™s no reason they couldnā€™t add a free month to your ongoing accountā€¦

I would delete the credit card and/or Paypal info associated with both accounts, just to be sure. Thatā€™s part of my Terms of Service.

ā€œAccidentsā€ happenā€¦

Both payments were made by PayPal both using the same gmail.com account so itā€™s obvious they should realize this was an error, but I do think they could just reverse the payment from Mar. 16. I have contacted PayPal to make sure any authorization to TIDAL is done as now I just think they are a shitty company and want nothing to do with them.

I like Tidal and how it integrates with Roon, but clearly this is a screw up on Tidalā€™s part handling your billing error. If they canā€™t make it right, Voting with your feet is a good solution. Stuff like this is symptomatic of disengaged incompetent management. Itā€™s only a few bucks, but I would write them a letter requesting the matter be corrected and cc it to Roon.

The problem is where do you write? This email comes from support@tidal.com, they clearly donā€™t care and willing to lose customers for effectively no reason.

Here is a counterpointā€¦

You admit that you made the error. Own your mistake.

Tidal does provide recourse for a refund, but you did not meet the criteria. Per that, Tidalā€™s response was logical and consistent with its terms and conditions, which are there to provide transparency for both provider and customer, alike.

Too many consumers hold the expectation that businesses should bend over backwards and make exceptions for them.

Roon has not ā€œhitched [its] wagonā€ to Tidal. That smacks of sour grapes on your part.

AJ

3 Likes

@anon94274355

ASPIRO AB
Stora Varvsgatan 6 A
SE-211 19 Malmƶ
Sweden

Even if you made the error, IMO, smart customer service & goodwill would have been for Tidal to credit the amount in time to your other account. Thatā€™s what I would have suggested. Although I donā€™t see this as a Roon issue, Iā€™d cc them if you end up writing the letter. Good luck.

http://tidal.com/us/contact

1 Like

No, not a Roon issue at all. I was just a little pissed that Tidal took $40 in 2 weeks from me knowing very well what happened but refused refund or credit me.