Leaving Tidal at last

Except for the fact I did not realize I had a 2nd account until they told me I had (this letter was the 2nd response from Tidal, the first one was where they said I had 2 accounts, I thought I just changed my email address).

If your Tidal username is your e-mail address, you changed your e-mail address, and you tried to sign in with the new e-mail address, then you went through the steps of creating a new account. You can update your contact e-mail address in an existing Tidal account, but you cannot update your username ā€“ that appears to require a new account.

AJ

1 Like

Yes, that appears to be what Iā€™ve done, but I did not realize it at the time. As my username is my old email addressā€¦ Again Iā€™m not asking for anything extra, just not pay $20 for an error (whether mine or not). For Tidal to lose years of business for $20 to me doesnā€™t make business sense IMO.

I deleted a few posts. Letā€™s keep it civil.

Cheers, Greg

2 Likes

I think a lot of consumers expect businesses to show common sense in light of an honest mistake. Particularly those you have an ongoing subscription relationship with.

Not really something the Roon founders needed to be made aware of, but stillā€¦ not what Iā€™d call good business practice.

Again, just as counterpoint, should businesses also expect consumers to show common sense? And should businesses expect consumers to be honest?

On that first point, going through all of the steps of creating a new account without realizing that a new account is being opened does not seem to show common sense. Keep in mind that some users do want multiple accounts. Tidal cannot assume to know otherwise and automatically consolidate accounts with the same billing information.

On the second point, many consumers will be dishonest in attempt to get out of their own mistakes. Now, Mystic seems fully genuine in having made an honest mistake. But, again, Tidal cannot assume to know that. Thus, for logical consistency, relying upon the terms and conditions is the safe choice for all parties involved.

AJ

1 Like

I agree. Iā€™ve seen a lot of companies do things like this in the past and I canā€™t understand their reasoning.

Are they really willing to let a good customer leave over an honest mistake, especially with all the competition in this market.

I could understand prorating the refund, it would be easy since we prepay for their service.

Terms and conditions seem to let companies avoid having to use common sense.

Cheers, Greg

It is a bad business call since in the end they will lose money.
And us discussing this topic here is not good for them either.

The smart thing to do imo is to ad the remaining period of the second account to the first account.
All win and you keep a happy customer. In the end is not about who is wrong or right it is about establishing a good business relation were both parties equally benefit.

1 Like

I disagree on the dishonest customer point you are making, if this was a one and done ebay type purchase maybe I can see your point.

But this company works on a subscription based model, the idea is they make more money by keeping their customers for a long time (like me since 2014 - except for a few months). Not assuming they are lying for the total of a $20 windfall when they know something has been made in error.

That and stock responses meaning less proper training required. This employee clearly has zero grasp of what keeps companies afloat, or whatā€™s good business.

Of course @anon94274355 could be a compulsive multiple account opener and Tidal abuser (:grin:), but assuming thatā€™s not the case, itā€™s 20 notes as a one off gesture of goodwill, and maybe a friendly little note just to explain that it shouldnā€™t really be refunded and some info about how to manage the account in the future. The outcome? A happy customer, and continued money coming in on a monthly basis.

The actual outcome - a peed off customer, a bit of a forum vent, lost income for Tidal, and who knows maybe mystic goes elsewhere to a new provider and then needs new payback software too.

Iā€™ve been lucky with Tidal - I pay my money and get my service, but I hope I never have to deal with their customer services! Iā€™ve dealt with similar in the UK and abroad, and I always switch company afterwards, even if itā€™s a hassle.

2 Likes

Were you not already dissatisfied in some way with Tidal? Canceling over just this situation alone seems like canceling out of spite. Now, where is that classic ā€œSeinfeldā€ clip?

AJ

Not at all, Tidal just lets me listen to some new releases instead of purchasing CDā€™s and lets me stick with getting my favs on vinyl when I want.

But at that same time, IMO this was a very simple oversight I thought when I saw I was charged $40 in the month of March and Tidal response, was more or less, screw your businessā€¦ and I donā€™t need them, Spotify Premium will serve me just fine to listen to a few new albums a week. (Iā€™ll miss the Roon integration, but for me Tidal doesnā€™t deserve my business right now)

I already have a 4000+ LP and 8000+ digital local libraryā€¦ no shortage a great albums to play.

I have to admit Iā€™m a bit confused with what happened to you. It seems you thought your old email was hacked and you created a new account with a new email address. Did you forget to cancel the original account when you created the new one?

I downloaded the Tidal desktop app to my PC in order to have access to MQA as the iMac I was listening to Tidal on through my hifi wasnā€™t modern enough to support the Tidal app, or Roon.
I now have the Tidal desktop app and Roon running on the same Windows PC and streaming via an Antipodes server to my hifi.
In Roon, when I go to Tidal in the settings I can see the MQA tab in the ā€œNewā€ section. There are around 450 albums there and the library seems to grow occasionally.
Maybe having it all on the one machine makes a difference.
I hope this helps.

For the past month (Jan-Feb) I was getting emails from me, to me and a couple failure to deliver for emails I never sent outā€¦ So over the course of a couple days opened a gmail and started changing all accounts over (Netflix, Discogs, Amazon, Tidal, Bandcamp, etc.) Iā€™m remembering I think for the Tidal I just wanted to change my email, but my username is the old email, so I guess I made a new one to get rid of that, and realized all my Roon favs were then gone, so went back to that and forgot to close the otherā€¦ itā€™s crazy trying to remember all website that you need to update, so I was going at a pretty fast pace updating stuff.

Ah, I seeā€¦you forgot to delete the new account since you went back to the old account so you would keep the favorites, etc. from the old one in Roon. Yeah, Tidal was short-sighted (even if like AJ says logically correct). It seems with a little work they could see the other account was not actively being usedā€¦and since you paid for itā€¦Tidal could provide you credit on the more active account.

1 Like

Itā€™s as simple as that. But they need that extra $20. :slight_smile:

Moderators have deleted some posts in this thread which we thought were attempting to restart an argument and consequently not contributing to the discussion. If youā€™ve made your point earlier in the thread there is little to be gained by repeating it, especially if it has the potential to provoke emotional reaction.

1 Like

The correct way to sort your issue out would have been to change the password on your hacked e-mail address and taken steps to make sure your emergency recovery information (telephone number or backup email address) had not been compromised. That would have been completely transparent to all of those sites that ID you using an e-mail address. Your actions would not appear entirely logical to Tidal, hence their decision. Good customer service practice would see you referred to a ā€˜saveā€™ department to see if they could entice you to stay, but as they see hundreds of cancellations and disputes every day I suspect the time needed to do this isnā€™t available to them. So neither side have handled this well. If I were you Iā€™d own it and go and subscribe to a rival or go back under another guise. Delay for a month if you donā€™t want to be out of pocket.

1 Like

I see your pointā€¦ I really donā€™t think my email was hacked, but rather being spoofed as I had changed my password a few times and was still over the course of time which looks like my email address being used in phishing scams, which kinda freaked me out getting these failure to deliver emailsā€¦as for a rival service, Iā€™ll start using Spotify Premium next month and all is good. I think it was the couple back and forth emails with Tidal with them realizing the error and still rather have $20 over a long-time customerā€¦ but itā€™s over now and Iā€™m cool with it after calming down.

2 Likes