LED function with Ropieee

What do the red and freen LED indicate?

For instance ever since I changed the ropieee pi power supply to an iFi LPS the red led will occasionally blink. Does this mean a loss of power or is there another meaning. The pi has an Allo DigiOne attached.

As RoPieee is meant to be used unattended (without screen and/or keyboard attached) it uses the green LED as a visual indication of what’s going on. During installation/configuration the green LED will flash at high frequency (10 Hz). When the RoPieee is ready to rock this changes in a flash at a steady 1⁄2 Hz.

The red LED indicates that the RPi has power. If it fails to light or flashes it indicates that there is a problem with the power supply.

Really? The Red light should be on all the time? Hmmm
 the green light blinks slowly, as it should after the Pie has booted, but I don’t think the red light is ever on after the RPI has bootet. The red light is not mentioned in the RoPieee docs (atleast not on the web page.) PSU problem? The RPI + HifiBerry have been running fine for months now
 I can try another 5 VDC supply (not that there is a percvieable problem, but now I wanna know what’s up with the red LED!)

With the stock PI power supply it was on all the time. With the iFi LPS it occasionally goes out for brief moments. Not a pattern I can see yet.

Yes, really. The red LED is on all the time when the Raspberry Pi is functioning correctly. Ropieee only mentions the green LED because this provides an indication of its operation.

If the red LED isn’t visible, check that it isn’t obscured and try another 5V supply or USB cable.

This may be an indication that the power supply is providing insufficient voltage or current occasionally. I don’t think you should be too concerned.

What is the current rating of the supply? It could be that this is sometimes exceeding which will drop the RPi voltage ( 4.63±0.07V.) Check your cables.

1 Like

Found it. There was a connection issue with micro usb adapter supplied with the iFi. A carefull squeeze on the connector tightened the connection. Red light is now steady.

2 Likes

The micro-usb connection (with iFi) is very fragile I discovered.

I rebooted the RPI (noticed that there is a new RoPieee Version, so it was time to reboot.)

And, see there, the red light is on all the time. Now.

Ask me not folks, I haven’t got a clue. But red light is on now, the green blinks slowly, I notice absolutely nothing different in the audio coming out of it, but, so be it.

Learning about RPI, here is a description of the LEDs and diagnostics in general.

For what its worth:

I have now tried three different 5V DC switching power supplies with one of my Roon endpoints (RPI + Hifiberry DAC+ Pro XLR + RoPieee) because the red light kept going out.

• iFi iPower 5V 2.5A: red light mostly off, sometimes on, sometimes blinking
  • Leicke 5V 3A: red light on and off, 50/50, often off, often on, sometimes blinking
  • Raspberry Pi official PSU 5V 2.5A: red light always on

Thanks to Martin_Webster for mentioning that the red light has an important function.

1 Like

I think its important to note that the center pin on barrel connectors on Pi power adapters cords are different sizes.
Some the center pin is 2.1mm and some are 2.5mm. Hard to tell apart until you see next to each other.
With an iFi you would get spare adapters from 2.1mm to 2.5mm many Allo power supplies also ship with them. If you try a 2.1 pin in 2.5 socket you will have problems. Trying in reverse you would have to force on and likely damage something. Luckily they don’t cost much

Stay safe

The Raspberry Pi uses either micro USB or USB C connectors for power. Barrel connectors are not used except on some hats that need additional power, e.g. DAC amps.

hmmm maybe not with your Pi but many use aftermarket power adapters do use this method including Jan above.
Allo Shanti https://allo.com/sparky/shanti.html
Allo https://allo.com/sparky/5v-power-supply.html
iFi Power https://ifi-audio.com/products/ipower/

Please cycle through pictures at links.

Many after market power supplies terminate in a 2.1mm barrel connector this way adapters can be used to connect to various input connectors on devices. Many of the early USB C to barrel connector adapters were 2.5mm. If you don’t use correct adapter from 2.1 to 2.5mm you will have a blinking voltage light. Ropieee seems to adjust for this dietpi still does not. Makes it easier for manufacturer to be more compatible. I have all of above as well as two low noise Linear Power Supply units from China. I have also connected Uptone and HD Plex power supplies for friends and family and all work on same principle. In audio and computers never is not I word I ever use.