Lets see your house curve!

What house curve you use, to apply to a flat calibrated/corrected sound, has naturally a big impact. I like a little extra warmth, which certainly influence my own house curve (which is applied on a flat room correction done in REW). It gives a sound similar to the new headphones I bough: B&W P7 Wireless, which I like a lot.

Here is my house curve for my active speakers, lets see yours :slight_smile:

6 Likes

I’d share my house curve, but mine is basically yours :slight_smile: I’d love to see some others as well. I followed your guide to get my House Curve and to my ears it sounds fantastic

Thought I would go in a slightly different direction and share my current curve for my Elear HP setup (Schiit Jot, Schiit Saga, iFi micro, Roon upstream). The Elear’s are a great HP, but not out of the box as they positively require DSP for passable FR in my opinion.

Very nice @crenca. I wonder when Focal will work with Roon to get some Presets like what Audeze is now doing. First to market is a powerful thing that Audeze has done.

Here is mine, again based on yours @Magnus, but a bit simpler. I have a second preset called Bass Cut which I use for late night listening.

My system is:

• Raspberry Pi 3B with HifiBerry Digi+ Pro
  • Naim NAC-N 272 + Teddy Pardo XPS
  • Naim NAP 250.2
  • ProAc Response D18
1 Like

Hi Magnus,

I tried to copy your House Curve, but couldn’t get some of the values the same. I was wondering how you can input a BK curve or a harman kardon?

The one you have there looks good, but I think its better to use it in REW and correct to it, and not use PEQ in Roon (the less DSP you have the better).

In REW you can use a textfile and select it from settings, this is the one I currently use which is a little “fun” and not strictly neutral (but feel free to experiment, house curve is very subjective):
20 9
25 9
31.5 9
40 8.5
50 8
63 7
80 5.325
100 4.3
125 3.5
160 2.8
200 2.4
250 2.025
315 1.75
400 1.675
500 1.675
1000 1.35
10000 -1.25
12500 -1.5
16000 -1.875
20000 -4.785

1 Like

Thanks Magnus I’ll try that

Hi there. Just started working with the parameteric EQ. Read several articles about the “house curve” (see https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/what-is-your-favorite-house-curve.2382/ )

Could you comment on your house curve? Just started with the Olive/Tool curve and have to admit, it sounds really great! Would appreciate your comments! Thx and a really great day!

FYI, you’re not the first :slight_smile:

Thx so much for sharing your house curve. I am Not able to share mine due to the fact that I have never used ones. However, I am happy to share those two posts, which discuss the opportunities to use them. I was really happy to get those informations. Although listening music for decades, I was not aware about those items. And I did not know that it can be modified by the roon application/filters.

Please further share your thoughts!

Ya, I like the bass boost from 20Hz to 200Hz too ! Makes a massive difference to my ears in this system.

Here’s my DIY 3-way DSP active speaker response
 Heil AMT tweeter and matching ESS woofer and pair of SVS SB-2000 subwoofers

HQPlayer handling all DSP (digital filtering, DSP crossover, convolution for room EQ).

Convolution files created by Audiolense with it’s ‘True Time Domain Correction’ feature.

I’ve brought dad’s fav 1970’s speakers into 2020 with a bang :grin: He seems happy.

2 Likes

For those that wonders why we need a house curve: its not just a listening preference, but physics/biology. Our ears hear low frequencies at a lower level than high frequencies which means we have to boost lower frequencies and lower higher frequencies in order to get a curve that to us sounds flat (but to a microphone has a tilt).

I seem to recall +5dB at 20Hz to -5dB at 20khz as a good neutral tilt, but then you can add your own flavor to that of course, like a little extra at 50-100Hz

Just an FYI. You can get EQ setting for over 7500 headphones including Focal from https://github.com/jaakkopasanen/AutoEq/tree/master/results

You’d have to use Roon’s parametric eq filter in DSP and create the filter bands yourself but it’s pretty straightforward. I did this for my Meze Emyprean’s and it was a nice improvement. Of course the measurements taken from the headphones used to create the EQ might be slightly different from your own headphones 

For those more adventurous, you can buy one of these:

With this you can measure the response of your headphones exactly and use REW to create a matched EQ that you can also enter in Roon’s parametric EQ filter in DSP. I also did this and it was another solid step up in sound quality over the above

Thanks Craig I wasn’t aware of this. Maybe I’ll ask Santa for some headphones this year
 :smile:

Some questions if I may:

When you guys set the house curve, do you enable some headroom management and put negative dB to prevent clipping?

Is setting the house curve on Roon with a flat correction on REW better than having the house curve set on REW and correcting to that?

1 Like

@Roasty – From earlier in this discussion:

@Craig_Palmer

Thanks, but do re-read my question
 :slight_smile:

Yup. Misread your post. Sorry.