Let's talk about extensions

So, recently we’ve added support for extensions to RoPieee. Right now only the alarm clock extension is being shipped.

Would be interested to know if:

1. people are using it
  2. there are more extensions that should be included

Thanks,

Not really interested in this Harry, I use Ropieee for its simplicity. I hope the goal of ropieee (no user intervention necessary) is maintained.

2 Likes

yes it will. this is the number 1 goal and it will remain like that.

That’s also the reason why I was very reluctant to add an extension.

2 Likes

Unsurprisingly, I am using the Alarm Clock extension. I don’t use any other extension though.

I agree with the prime directive of simplicity and stability, so I would never want an extension to interfere with that goal. Yet, in a way, the display functionality is “extra”, but in my Roon setup essential. So, I can envision a set of key extensions in RoPieee, if they are rock solid and add to the fundamental Roon experience.

Thanks @spockfish.

2 Likes

I would love different default screens, like those available in the defunct Logitech Squeezebox Touch which has several views, including a super nice VU meter and other visual pop.

Within Roon there are real-time Lyrics support, Bio pic, Album Review, credits. Plenty of stuff to really integrate further with Roon.

I like it simple and stable, which is why i like and use RoPieee. Used Squeezebox and LMS for 20 years before Roon and never ever needed any extensions on the Squeezebox. At least didn’t use it. But I did use and dismiss overblown LMS client software like that German Aroio on Raspberry, that includes room correction and digital filters on the raspberry and simply breaks when you are playing HiRes files. Raspberry to my experience doesn’t have the computing power to hold more than basic tasks.

I second the griffin powermate volume control!

Having the possibility to add some extensions would be great, for example Volume Control and Deep Harmony (to control roon via Logitech Harmony remotes).

I love the idea of extensons, I’d be willing to work on some if there is an api or reasonable description. for example could we use the alarm clock plugin as a framework to start working on something else?

I’ve just purchased a Nuimo from DrCWO and I would love to be able to run the rooNuimo extension on my RPi4 through Ropieee, especially as it would mean I can still use Ropieee instead of having to reflash my RPi.

Any more information on if/when more extension support will arrive?

I love Ropieee and jsut realised that I can send a WOL to my ROON NUC on boot just yesterday. The remote also works flawlessly!

Maybe I would like to see a “heart”/“hate” option to be able to like/hate songs with the remote/on the screen
Algo having a MSN Surface dial, would be brilliant if I could connect it to the Endpoint and configure volume/song skips with the wheel. Almost nothhing feels as good as rotating that knob :rofl:

Really really stable program and works fine. Even over wifi that I’ve seen expensive products strugling with.

1 Like

You might want to check out this thread for support of the Microsoft Surface Dial…

1 Like

I’m conflicted on this. The simplicity is key. It just works. On the other hand, different views might be nice. I love some big VU meters. Not a very helpful response, sorry.

I would very much love to have a visualization extension, showing the Spectrum | FFT | Histogram of the music playing.