Lets talk about Multichannel [released in 1.3]

Both the NADAC+ and the exaSound have their own volume controls. If you can get a 5.1/7.1 2in/1out switch, it can switch output to your power amp(s) between the DAC and the SP3.

Kal: Understood and I have been looking at some of those switches. My question is really whether inserting the switch into the audio stream will degrade it in the same way as even a full analog pass-through pre-amp is believed to slightly degrade the sound over direct connection ā€“ hence the reason people use the volume control in the NADAC and exaSound to allow them to direct connect to amplifiers and avoid the need for a pre-amp.

I suppose that with a really good switch, Iā€™d be taking the SP3 out of the DAC-to-amplifier signal path and inserting a switch instead and the video path would be blu-ray player to SP3 to switch to amp.

[quote=ā€œsdolezalek, post:42, topic:10474ā€]
My question is really whether inserting the switch into the audio stream will degrade it in the same way as even a full analog pass-through pre-amp is believed to slightly degrade the sound over direct connectionā€¦
[/quote]Of course, it is dependent on the bypassing device but I do not buy this as an issue with good equipment.

[quote=ā€œsdolezalek, post:42, topic:10474ā€]
I suppose that with a really good switch, Iā€™d be taking the SP3 out of the DAC-to-amplifier signal path and inserting a switch instead and the video path would be blu-ray player to SP3 to switch to amp.
[/quote]Yes

Zektor used to make this type of switch (now discontinued). There are pro audio versions but not with traditional XLR connectors. Do you have any suggestions as to an available high quality 6 or ideally 8-channel xlr switch? (sorry, didnā€™t mean to derail the thread)

The Broadcast Devices 8C should do the job. http://www.broadcast-devices.com/images/8-16BrocREVA.pdf

Another relevant device is http://www.sonifex.co.uk/redbox/rbdsd8_ld.shtml,

If I were doing this, Iā€™d build it.

Yes ā€“ Microsoft confronted this tension recently with DVD playback, which was removed from recent versions of Windows. The stories in the press was that the DVD consortium charged $10 per device, while Windows licenses are frequently less than that and $0 for devices smaller than 7".

Getting to this topic several days lateā€¦

We pretty much never get around to audio-only multichannel listening; most listening we do is stereo. There are a few stereo setups (with varying levels of quality) in different rooms, but thereā€™s just the one room set up for surround, and itā€™s generally used for TV and movies. Sources are physical spinny disks in an Oppo and whatever networked thing can plug in via HDMI (currently mostly using an Amazon Fire TV box and an original Chromecast gizmo).

But if more audio-only surround content became readily available, I could play it via any device which can get an appropriate signal into an 861v8 - I have some HDMI ports free on the HD621, or maybe thereā€™s another multichannel-over-Speakerlink opportunity (not sure), or who knows, itā€™d be swell if a future ID-xx card supported multichannel (especially multichannel in a RoonReady sort of way!)

Spinning disks (Blu-ray, DVD, those five or six multichannel SACDs) and streaming video boxes.

The question has never even come up, soā€¦ no.

Sometimes, when Trifield or a Pro Logic flavor sounds good with the material being played.

Canā€™t think of anything. Iā€™d expect room correction, for instance, to happen somewhere else in the chain.

1 Like

What software and audio gear are you currently using for multi-channel playback?
Synology NAS(MCH files) -(ethernet)- JRiver (MacMini) -(ethernet)- Oppo 105D -(RCA x6)- Mcintosh MX136 -(XLR)- Mcintosh MC207 - Speakers. Controlled by JRemote from my iPad
Considering an exasound PP/e28 combination to take the MacMini/JRiver out of the loop if ROON could control playback of my MCH files.
Separate 2CH system controlled by ROON using an Auralic Aries

Where does your content come from, what formats, and how much do you have?
Digital files from ripped SACD, DVD-A and BRD.
Files are a mix of .dsf and .aiff
Currently 120 albums (rock and jazz)

Do you down-mix multi-channel content for 2-channel systems?
No.

Do you up-mix 2-channel content for multi-channel systems?
No.

What DSP features do you require in a software player in order to make multi-channel playback practical?
Probably none. Channel mapping might be useful.

Is there anything special that software needs to do to make your setup work that we might not know about?
iso support.

What software and audio gear are you currently using for multi-channel playback?
Iā€™m not, but Iā€™d like to on my Meridian HD621 --> 861v4 system. The input would have to be HDMI from something; not sure what at this point.

A whole load of DVD-A FLACs.

No, as I also ripped the two-channel content.

Tend to use Trifield DSP in the 861 for two channel material. I have no requirement to do this in software.

What DSP features do you require in a software player in order to make multi-channel playback practical?
Possibly volume normalization (eventually).

Is there anything special that software needs to do to make your setup work that we might not know about?
Channel mapping might be important.

Oh, just rememberedā€¦ The BBC have been playing periodically with multi-channel broadcasts. Support for these streams would be great if and when they become a reality.

Good questions. My thoughts:

Software: JRiver Media Center 21 (primary), HQ Player 3.13 (occasionally)
Audio Gear: EMM Labs Switchman II Multichannel Preamp/Switcher, exaSound e28 Multichannel DAC, Merging Technologies MC-8 NADAC Multichannel DAC

Sources: Music Downloads and Copies from Disc
Formats: DSD (.DSF files, some .DFF file), FLAC & WAV (Downloads, Copies, DTS, BD Audio & Dolby conversions)

No

No

None.
Would like the ability to bypass or turn off any DSP Multichannel features Roon may add

Would like the ability to upsample DSD, FLAC and WAV files to DSD 256 with Roon + HQ Player Multichannel integration

Iā€™ve just a couple of DSD 5.0 albums I bought to play around with. To that end AirPlay support would allow me to do some testing for free. :-))

That would get my vote.

Iā€™d agree, and suggest that maybe you only support multichannel PCM and DSD. Most of those other formats are really movie formats, not music.

[quote=ā€œbrian, post:1, topic:10474ā€]
What software and audio gear are you currently using for multi-channel playback?[/quote]

Iā€™m not really using software at all, because all the multi-channel listening I do is via optical disk. I have a fairly complicated multichannel setup that is about 12 years old (and hasnā€™t been updated because I canā€™t get anything comparable or better, though I wish there was). The heart is a Lexicon MC-12HD pre/pro with a Sony DVP-CX777ES 400 disk SACD changer and a Kenwood Sovereign DV-5900M 400 disk DVD changer both going unbalanced analog into a Zektor mas7.1 3x1 switch into the lexiconā€™s analog inputs and an Oppo BDP105D connected via HDMI. Frankly, the sound out of the Oppo is so much better that I only use the changers for convenience and I use the Oppo for serious listening. To test the waters I bought a MiniDSP U-DAC8 which exploits the same technology as the Exesound at a fraction of the price (and if it works, Iā€™m probably buying the Exasound).

Between SACD and DVD-A I have nearly 500 multichannel disks and the capability to rip all of them (but I havenā€™t bothered yet due to the lack of decent playback software).

No.

I use the Logic7 feature of my pre/pro on a lot of 2-channel content, though for serious listening, I do 2-channel analog bypass.

None.

Only this: on a 7.1 system there needs to be bass management and time alignment for the system to work properly. If one is going into a multi-channel pre/pro or receiver, this gets handled, but if one is going directly into a multichannel DAC with a volume control and then directly into the power amps, then the bass management and time alignment must be hangled first by the playback software. I donā€™t know if anyone is really thinking about this.

On your last point, the time management features built into HQ Player allow you to correctly set speaker distance and delay. I expect that using Roon with these types of plug-ins will be the easiest way to avoid complicating Roon or needing to increase its cost.

Iā€™m taking a break from multichannel, but will describe the situation when I left. I expect to be back in the next few years.

What software and audio gear are you currently using for multi-channel playback?[/quote]
SACD and DVD-Audio discs from Oppo into Meridian HD621/861.

Where does your content come from, what formats, and how much do you have?[/quote]
Several hundred discs and a handful of download purchases. I have ripped many and always ripped in multichannel even though I couldnā€™t play them back yet.

Do you down-mix multi-channel content for 2-channel systems?[/quote]
No. Although your ā€œall media playable to all endpointsā€ might clearly make it necessary.

Do you up-mix 2-channel content for multi-channel systems?[/quote]
I leave that to the 861.

What DSP features do you require in a software player in order to make multi-channel playback practical? Is there anything special that software needs to do to make your setup work that we might not know about?[/quote]
The only thing I can think of under this category is channel mapping. But I think thatā€™s already been discussed.

I abandoned multi-channel music after minor experimentation.
I set up a system with three Avantgarde horns in the front, bipolars in the back. It was awesome: the first time I played it for my wife, the Harnoncourt Mozart Requiem SACD, it was sublime. Then I put on a well-respected Telarc CD, in regular stereo, and went out in the kitchen to get a glass of wine, and my wife came and said, ā€œyour horns arenā€™t workingā€. So that was her view of stereo after hearing multi-channel: ā€œbrokenā€.

But I abandoned it anyway because of the limited music availability. No jazz, avant-garde chamber, blues. How many times can I listen to the Requiem?

I have even removed the rear channels for movies ā€“ how many times can I watch space explosions? More subtle movies donā€™t need surround.

1 Like

Media-Server:
Windows 10, 20 TB Media content on SSD and Sata discs
Player-Software:
Merging Emotion for music
JRiver for Video.
HQPlayer: Used somtimes for testing PCM to DSD and upsampling.
Hardware:
Merging NADAC 8ch-Version,
Electrocompaniet EC 4.9 6ch Preamp

1. About 1500 ripped SACDs
  2. About 250 ripped DVDs and BRs
  3. about 100 HiRes Downloads from commercial vendors
    Formats: DSD, Flac, DXD.

Do you down-mix multi-channel content for 2ch systems?
No, my system is 5.1 multichannel and then I hear music 70% is done per multichannel

Do you up-mix 2ch content for multi-channel systems?
No, stereo-content is always played as stereo with FL and FR

Nothing. Channel mapping and channel level is done by my Merging NADAC

File Browsing is a feature ā€œSine qua nonā€ !

Mac mini to my home theatre connected via HDMI. No other software than Roon. (I donā€™t play multichannel right now)

Pirated SACD discs in DSD format. Iā€™ve got a few albums only.

No, I usually have 2-channel versions, but it would be helpful not having to think about what version I play, so Iā€™d like downmixing in Roon.

Yes, with some content and for some events like parties.

Donā€™t know.

I donā€™t think so. I send everything over HDMI so multichannel works just fine with video. Now I just need a music player that can play SACD rips.

HomeTheaterPC with HDMI output
Yamaha RX-A1000 used as a preamp that ouputs to dedicated Rotel RB-1070 swhitched monoblocks
Klipsch RF-7 fronts, RC-7 Center, RF-3II rears and two RW-12D subs.

• Mainly Bluray played on my PC, thru Media Player Classic 64bits
  • Retail DTS-CDā€™s ripped to USB HDā€™s as wavā€™s played thru Foobar2000 with the proper component (dll)
  • Downloaded (purchases) HDTracks stored on USB HDā€™s as flac played on Albumplayer 5.3 using ASIO setting for bitperfect
  • All of my CDā€™s ripped to external HDā€™S to flac played also on Albumplayer 5,3 using ASIO setting for bitperfect

• No I donā€™t.

• What purpose would that serve?

• Room size (delay time), wall texture (damping), and height (pre-delay)

• All-in-one, all formats in one program, send video content to secondary screen, keep all settings from previous use and memory setups