Let's talk high end headphones for lossless digital

BeyerDynamic DT1990 Pro into RME ADI 2 fs DAC/headphone amp, very nice sound quality.

But never tried other headphones with it.

1 Like

Focal Celestee with Arctic XLR cable into Topping D90.

I love this forum because I’m a guilty buyer who feels he spends way too much and then I see your setups and feel much better and very jealous!

4 Likes

As I type this, I’m listening to the E-MU Wood Series Teaks (from Drop.com), which I understand are based on the Denon design. I’m driving them with the popular THX AAA 789 headphone amp.

Current DAC in the rotation is the Khadas Tone2 Pro with balanced RCA to XLR adapters. An AudioQuest Cinnamon USB cable brings clean power and reclocked data from an old iFi Audio iUSB3.0. Endpoint is a Raspberry Pi4 running VitOS. A lot of moving parts, but quite a revealing setup for not too many Benjamins.

2 Likes

My simple, but great sounding, away from home listening situation:

Dell XPS 15
Audirvana lifetime
Tidal and Qobuz
AudioQuest Dragonfly Cobalt
Sony WH-1000XM3
and lots of Verizon hotspot data

4 Likes

Additional equipment requirements??? might be limiting the numbers.

ROON (Intel NUC w ROCK) streaming to my iPad/iPhone over WiFi with Lotoo PAW S1 (with MQA rendering) mini DAC headphone amp and HiFiMan HE400i Planar Magnetic Headphones. Very portable with high end sound quality at low mid range costs. Best part is that the combination works over Mobile data (Tidal account directly) while out and about. At home also listen via Devialet Expert and Focal Kanta’s.

I don’t really consider it ‘high end’ but I use a Pi running Roonberry as a Roon endpoint, and then balanced outputs to Schiit Mjolnir, nd then balanced to Sennheiser HD800s

I really like the balanced architecture all the way through.

ipod touch 7th gen (roon endpoint powered by energizer powerbank) to chord dave to oppo pm1 headphone with silver artisan cable.

Oppo PM1’s and an Oppo HA-2. Unfortunately, as I’m sure most of you know, Oppo Digital is no longer in the business building and selling A/V equipment! :frowning:

I also have a pair of Shure, SE-846’s but use them mostly for traveling and under the motorcycle helmet!

I would call your setup high end. Maybe it’s not at the top of the mountain but I’m fairly certain that the sound quality of that setup would easily match many other high end headphone setups, regardless of price. Don’t sell yourself and your ears short!

I love headphones but I love IEMs even more. My gear (not including wireless ones) is:

Headphone setup: HD800S / Eikon / Verum 1.5

IEMs: MMR Thummim / Vision Ears ERLKöNIG / Noble Sultan / Empire Ears Legend X / Hidition NT6 / ItsFit Fusion / Campfire Audio Andromeda S / Custom Art FIBAE 7 / Noble Katana. Which is far too many for any normal person, but I guess we are all such Roon lovers because we aspire to be abnormal :grin:

2 Likes

I’ve damaged more IEMs than I care own up about ;/

I must admit I only wear headphones when I’m likely to be perfectly still, otherwise its AfterShokz if I’m needing to listen to my surrounding or whatever I haven’t broken otherwise.

Audeze LCD-3 with my Elekit TU-8600 300B amp. Current DAC is a Khadis Tone Board in a custom case.

I use Sennheiser HD 650 (more bass) or HD 800 (more precision) with iFi Micro iDSD Black Label as DAC on Mac Book Pro. I am interested on Focal Stellia now, because I don´t have a closed headphone yet and my girlfriend criticizes the noise of my headphones.

Schitt:
Gungnir Multibit DAC
Moljnir headphone amp

Audeze:
LCD3

Moon Audio:
Silver Dragon Headphone Cable V3

It’s like buttah

Sennheisser HD800 through an Audiolab M-DAC RPi Allo DigiOne 90%+ of my listening is via headphones. Main rig for around 8 years

Very comfortable over extended periods. A bit unforgiving on poorer recordings

In the garden , iPad, Dragonfly Red, Bose QC 25

Gym , if I ever go, JBL 450 Bluetooth from phone ,MP3 … ok it works …

Having been at the headphone game for over 20 years I’ve assembled quite the collection of headphones and headphone amps, as many of you know from my frequent posts to the Headphones thread (show us yer cans)! thread. Below is listing of the various headphones and headphone amplifiers that I currently use, listed in order of increasing fidelity.

Portable Use

When needing noise cancellation - Sony WH-1000XM3 (closed back) with either iPhone streaming Tidal or Qobuz via Bluetooth or Sony A45 Digital Music Player (wired since the WH-1000XM3’s noise cancellation works with a wired connection).

When not needing noise cancellation - Drop Pandas (closed back) with either iPhone streaming Tidal or Qobuz or Roon via Bluetooth or iPad Air streaming Tidal or Qobuz or Roon via wired USB C connection. When using Roon I use a convolution filter for the Drop Panda.

I also use the AKG N90Q (closed back) headphones wired to iPhone streaming Tidal or Qobuz or Roon. The noise cancellation is always on for the AKG N90Q however these headphones are rather large and heavy so I only use them when at home. When using Roon I use a convolution filter for the AKG N90Q.

Home theater Use

Sennheiser HD650 with extra long Cardas cable connected to the excellent headphone output of a Marantz SR 6009 Home Theater Receiver.

Headphone Stations/Amplifiers:

Headphones:

I use dedicated convolution filters for all the headphones listed below when using Roon
Useless otherwise all headphones are standard dynamic driver type.

Acoustic Research AR-H1 (planar magnetic) (open back)
AKG K701 (open back)
AKG N90Q (closed back)
Beyerdynamic DT 177X Go (leather earpads) (closed back)
Beyerdynamic DT 1990 (balanced earpads) (open back)
Beyerdynamic T1 First Generation (open back)
Beyerdynamic T5p Second Generation (closed back)
Focal Elear (open back)
Focal Elegia (closed back)
Fostex TH500RP (planar magnetic/dynamic hybrid) (closed back)
HIFIMAN Edition XX (planar magnetic) (open back)
Sennheiser HD 800 (open back)
Sennheiser HD 820 (closed back)
Ultrasone PRO 2500 (open back)
Ultrasone PRO 750 (closed back)
Ultrasone PRO 900 (closed back)

Headphone Amplifiers:

Oppo HA-1 either single ended or balanced, fed via USB from a Squeezebox Touch with EDO

Benchmark DAC3 HGC only single ended, fed via USB from a Pro-Ject Stream Box S2 Ultra

And finally the cream of the crop:

Sonoma Model One - these are open back electro-static and have their own amplifier/DAC, fed via USB from a MicroRendu. Used with dedicated convolution filter.

Like I stated at the beginning, I’ve been collecting headphones and headphone amplifiers for over 20 years. On my wish list are the Focal Utopias and Stellias along a few others. Gee aren’t headphones fun!! :headphones:

2 Likes

Raspberry pi into a Topping D10 into SMSL SP200 into Sennheiser HD800.

Focal Celeste😎

Focal Celestees for me too, with a Topping D90/A90 DAC/Amp. Running white/pink/whatever noise even as I write this. First time I’ve tried burning in a pair and feel alternatively stupid/hopeul/worried I’m somehow breaking them.

Fantastic headphones!