Let's talk (show) guitars and gear

I think it’s 2013 from the serial number.
No, not weighed it.
And no I had not seen that…but have now :innocent:

The Fender Mustang Micro is an inexpensive way to noodle in private.

You might enjoy the more recent videos by Rick Beato where he covers the best riffs of Led Zeppalin and the history of guitarists since early 1900s from all genres.

He does some videos with Rick Shull who is local. Shull has an interesting video about his ADHD and his gravitating toward the guitar.

The weight if Gibson is a frequent area of discussion (that was why I asked).

We have Righteous Guitars here, and you may enjoy the YouTubes on the store.

What is that??

Fender Mustang Micro is the latest device that permits practicing of guitar with a plug in device. Such devices now contain microprocessors for amp emulation and effects processing. It is only $125 or less.

3 Likes

Looks like a great little gadget - must get one of those.

1 Like

It’s fantastic. I have one, but only use the low gain / clean amps (which are excellent).

1 Like

I bought one for my son and one for myself. I used to have a similar device (still do) from decades ago. I think it is called Rock-It or something like that. I have a set of Billy Gibbons strings that I have not installed. I also decided that I would practice with a very old (but new) PRS SE Soapbar, solely because of its weight.

1 Like

John Mayer switched from vintage (re-issue) Strat to PRS Silver Sky which sells from $2500-$4000+.

Thereafter, PRS released a Silver Sky SE for $849 which remain out of stock most places, and players feel that it is equal to the Silver Sky itself.

Interesting to hear Mayer talk about why he left Fender for PRS. Chiefly, a corporate interface problem. In ether case, if you would like to research the instrument…

2 Likes

20 best guitarists, below.

• 8: Mark Knopfler. …
  • 7: Eddie Van Halen. …
  • 6: Brian May. …
  • 5: Chuck Berry. …
  • 4: Eric Clapton. …
  • 3: David Gilmour. …
  • 2: Jimi Hendrix. …
  • 1: Jimmy Page.
1 Like

For all this talk of classic historic players, there are some fine players out there today, gigging in small venues who are just as good and inventive, of not better… That’s not to denigrate any of these fine ground breaking players…

2 Likes

FWIW, I do not agree with the list.

3 Likes

We watched a couple of YouTube videos on Ed King. He was a little fat guy who created the opening lick for Sweet Home Alabama. He died rather recently from lung cancer. Seemed a very nice guy. He was discussing his career, Lynyrd Skynyrd, his previous “Strawberry Alarm Clock” and the guitars that he had owned, had stolen, had recovered, had modified. It almost always comes back to a `59 Les Paul sunburst. There were 1600 made, 1000 are nowhere to be found, and the procession of reissues, aged recreations etc, while increasingly expensive, are not held with the reverence of the original. I knew a car guy years ago who bought one at $175k. I had previously found one at $80k, and now…

2 Likes

Ed King, i think, ya?

Of course, you are correct. Interesting that I have followed him since Lynyrd Skynyrd began and knew of his transplant and yet got his name wrong. Thank you for the correction.

I am having to inventory our guitars. Unless someone objects, as I photograph each, I shall post a photo.

This one is a 1957 (R) Fender Strat that the kids put stickers on 25+ years ago when I was not at home. I have never been able to bring myself to remove them. Each meant something to them.

5 Likes

This is how I like to see a guitar collection, on stage and ready to be gigged…

Taken pre sound check for Lynne Hanson and Annie Keating

8 Likes

This one might make you laugh but I could not resist it when we found this in an antique shop in Savannah yesterday.
Its in very nice shape and actually plays pretty sweetly with a good tone.
Being a huge Kiss fan at an early age and playing to death numerous copies of Destroyer I just knew this had to come home with me.
Not being helped here by Mrs.Hammer who is getting to be as bad as I am…lol

5 Likes

Great choice, and it makes you happy.

There is a YouTube(r) by Rhett Shull which is interesting or concerning.

He states that aside from Gibson poor quality control in recent years, young guitar players have strayed away from (what Shull calls) Baby Boomer choices for guitars like the Les Paul Gold Top and Sunburst. You people have gravitated back to Fender for price and relevance to their music.

He denigrates (a bit) Paul Reed Smith and attributes PRS success to having wooed John Mayer from Fender to their guitars. I understand his point, but try to buy a PRS core guitar at present, long backorder. Again, it was interesting and perhaps a bit informative.

This is one of two PRS guitars from a NAMM show. The finish (does not show well) is “white wash” and appears transparent.

The color is white. These incandescent bulbs add an inaccurate yellowish warmth. (Two humbuckers and a single coil in the middle position).

4 Likes