Let's talk (show) guitars and gear

I will give that a watch and see what I think.
Thank you!

My daughter used to have a couple of the “cheap” PRS guitars a 22 and a 24 fret if I remember correctly but she gravitated back to Schecter, whose guitars I feel are excellent value for money in terms of build quality, tone and looks.

I have a guitarist friend in The Netherlands who owns most brands but only plays Ibanez. I think you play what feels right to you. The signature guitars that are based upon a specific artist is an interesting concept since the artist’s guitar is based upon what fits his hands and style.

Somewhere down the line (here) as I photograph/inventory what I own, I shall post a photo of a guitar my wife had built for me. PRS himself is a very creative, hard working and rather eccentric man. He certainly has built an empire.

Just bought this from a friend for a song. Fender 60th Anniversary limited run and completely vintage ‘52 spec. First Tele’ – wanted to see what the fuss was about. :smiley:

13 Likes

Which song? And did you have to sing it or play it? :grinning:

2 Likes

I have the 50th Anniversary. It is sunburst w/gold hardware. The Tele sure has been an enduring classic.

2 Likes

I don’t have any Fenders at all, I probably should as I played a Fender P Bass for years in our band.
Metallic Blue with white pick guard similar to Steve Harris.

The Tele does appeal as well…

Very nice indeed!

1 Like

My son is much more of a musician than I am, although I play a lot and love gear. I drool over Les Pauls, and he has a really nice Les Paul studio, as well as an SG Standard. They are gorgeous.

But I play a Fender Strat because it just feels so right to me.

(I play far more acoustic than electric tho.)

2 Likes

I sold my ‘94 Precision (black with black/white ply scratch plate and maple fingerboard) when I got used to the circa 2000 Ibanez BtB 5 string I got for an Uber-bargain. I just never used it, as even though it was a lovely and great sounding thing, it just felt like a string was missing!

I wanted to move things out of the listening room so put our `59 Les Paul sunburst into a playroom I built for the (adult) kids. I used a guitar display case and Hue light strips, an OnLight app to cycle through colors.

7 Likes

Not nearly as nice/cool as many to date have posted. But I’m excited to buy my first guitar since the 90s and hopefully get back to playing.

Sold my black '68 Strat to pay for a semester of college. Probably my biggest regret on any piece of audio, video, camera, car equipment I’ve ever sold.

More later…just opened the box

3 Likes

Exciting times. It is Strat-like, but what is it?

1 Like

Hint is in the signature and my avatar. I couldn’t afford the $15K for the esquire… I REALLY wanted it. This little Malibu style will have to do. For now.

2 Likes

I’m digging the star fret inlays.

This is a public service announcement… with guitar!

3 Likes

That is such a cool guitar. You can afford a 15k guitar. It just takes planning, budgeting, justifying, and giving up frivolities like food. Many years ago, I bought my wife a Martin 000, put it in my car, closed the door and the guitar case broke the trim on the seat. Thus, the price of the guitar was also the price of replacement trim.

1 Like

Ouch. Yes I “could” afford it but my chops don’t justify a 1,500 dollar guitar let alone $15k :grinning:

1 Like

Then again if it makes you happy and if you buy it “right”, it is only money borrowed against the future. But your approach is more fiscally responsible.

1 Like

I never really understood the fascination of collecting stuff. My best friend used to talk about “pride of ownership.” I guess we’re all wired differently. That’s a good thing.

2 Likes

As I get older Jim, I feel less the need to “own” stuff for the sake of it.
I may have to take stock soon and parse it down a little.
I mean I have a small cabinet full of nice watches.
But I ask myself why?
I bloody hate wearing a darn watch😂
The more I think about moving the more I inwardly groan about all the crap I have “collected” that either needs to be packed to move or just sold.

But not my record’s… lmao.

1 Like

I own almost nothing now. We have one house, one car, no toys, no musical instruments, modest music system, etc. Just money in the bank. It feels really good. In the past, I’ve owned beach house, airplanes, sports cars, race car, swimming pool, multiple drum sets, etc.

2 Likes