Library versions: Multiple version of the same album (e.g., regular and "Legacy Version") with different numbers of tracks

I’m pretty new to Roon. I’m trying to manage my collection of different albums from different sources. Occasionally, I’ll find an album that has different versions. These are not different types of records, but actually different releases of the album. For example, “Kind of Blue” by Miles Davis. There are two versions: the original with 5 tracks and the “Legacy Edition” with 21 tracks.

If I add both the original and the Legacy Edition to my collection, they both show up as versions of “Kind of Blue”, not two different albums.

So, here’s my question: Should I group all these albums together (regular and Legacy Edition)? What happens if I do? What happens if I don’t?

They are already grouped, that’s why they show as different versions under the Versions tab of the album.

You can choose not to do that, by going to Settings > General > Show hidden tracks and albums > Yes.

Then all these versions appear separately in the album browser (Library > My Albums)

I know they are grouped as versions, but there is an additional “Group all” button. I’m trying to understand what it does in situations where some tracks are not in all group members.

In my screenshot, only one version is “in this group”.

Ah I see. I sometimes see this as well and have never found out. When it appears, it doesn’t seem to do anything that I notice. Usually it appears for me only if something seems wonky with the albums, e.g., I have one that appears as two entries in the album browser whatever I do, and Group All then has no effect either :man_shrugging:

I was confused about what “Group All” actually does. I now think it just controls what shows up in my Album view. If I don’t group all of these versions, they all show up in the view. If I group them, I get just one entry. Actions on that one entry act on the primary version in the group, or I can go into the versions and select a different version to act on.

Thanks for the help.