Lifetime price increase, $499 -> $699

That Vanguard stock market index fund went up in price today. Why didn’t they let me know in advance, and give me a few days to think about buying it at the old price. After all, I’ve been a Vanguard customer for decades. :dizzy_face:
(Replace “Vanguard stock market index fund” above with any product or service and the meaning is the same.)

I can’t say I’m surprised by all the angst, as I suggested this would happen in a post 10 months ago as a reason why lifetime subscriptions should be abandoned. I guess I’ve been living in an alternative universe where if I wanted to buy something at the current price I had to do so at the current time. Woulda, coulda, shoulda feelings at a later date were not relevant to anything other than my personal thoughts. And certainly not to trying to second guess a for profit enterprise’s business plans.

Edit: I didn’t mean to address this to @Wayne_Crozier. This is broader and relates to the entire thread.

2 Likes

@garym Not quite the same scenario, the stock market prices are not directly controlled by a single business on the other hand the prices for Roon is. although I see what you are saying… it sounded good.:grin:

1 Like

I got my lifetime upgrade for the old price as I had only just renewed my annual. Been toying with the idea for the last couple of years, thanks to Roon for giving this last chance to grab the old price :slight_smile:

I reckon the sound has improved since going to lifetime as well. Feels more open/fluid and the quiet gaps in the music are more black. :grin:

3 Likes

I became a lifetime subscriber August 2015 after realizing how much Roon transformed the enjoyment of my personal library. With the addition of Tidal I eased into streaming services, monthly or annual subscriptions, and also realized tides had turned in these directions. I still hang onto a few record albums and hundreds of CDs but neither are anything but an old man’s security blanket.

I hoped my lifetime subscription over four years ago would be a good bet, but I felt it was a gamble for me and a hopeful bet on the company. Each year I’ve appreciated, even in the presence of lots of community criticism or harping, how much Roon has been value-added to my daily routines and pleasures. Like others I live more frugally now than four years ago and Roon helped me hedge my bets against a leaner budget with that subscription. I’m pleased my early investment in them has contributed to pleasure for others. Today isn’t yesterday any more than it will be tomorrow.

1 Like

I think with all the BS on this thread, IMO Roon should cancel the lifetime option forthwith!

5 Likes

Wow, we could do this all day. I was an annual subscriber for two years before buying the Lifetime subscription so I’ve spent $240 plus $500. That in fact is hundreds of dollars more than you’ve spent. Back to you…

1 Like

I’m just amazed that we’re 400 responses into this thread with no end in sight.

Well that extra bit of info was not disclosed. So I should buy the lifetime now and I will surpass you.:joy:

1 Like

@all

Guys please, 400 posts of complaints may suffice.
Those who wanted to buy lifetime did so without waiting for something.

Personally I bought the lifetime license immediately after the trial period: it was enough for me to evaluate the software and understand how much programming is behind it.

Insulting is useless and we try instead to be civil and cordial. It is not nice to enter the “forum” and first read the complaints. Let me be clear: if they were constructive, it would also be there because it would bring the software to an even more advanced level but so truly, it is just an agony without meaning and without but.

Did they do well? did they hurt? they did it.
If you like buy a lifetime license, otherwise get the annual but just enough.

@fatez Sorry but we have every right to complain as we are the customers. If you don’t like it don’t read any posts. You are fine as you are a lifetime subscriber so your comments fall on deaf ears.

3 Likes

All these comments says there are a lot of unhappy customers. What is the mystery?

I don’t see insults on this thread, and maybe we can see the other side of the coin on your own words, 400 posts complaining have to be enough to make think to the Roon team if a grace period to buy the lifetime subscription at the old price is a worthy option to make happy a part of his customers, if we don’t cry, nothing happens for sure.

3 Likes

I agree with you wholeheartedly, if they offered me it at 499 I’d find the money!!

1 Like

Sorry, but what stopped you from buying it for example a week ago? Now that it’s gone, everyone complaining … is worth it

You know…people wasting their lifes, but if they know that they will die soon they are changing their point of view etc… I’ll tell you a secret - we all will die.
If they put it on quick sell maybe I will be also tempted for lifetime. Right now i started 1year, but after long managing my albums (after update to 1.7) all what i think it is to find other software or play music from streamer, without additional ilusions of usability from roon. It is like girlfriend that you know too long and too good to marry her. The magic is gone…

I didn’t have the money, Annual for me it is then as Danny said it does have its benefits.

@382 above.

If the annual goes too high subscription price wise you can always leave after a year, as Danny said there is no assurance that the annual itself won’t increase price wise at any time.

What has stopped me the last 3 years from buying the lifetime? LIFE and difficult times. We all have our reasons. I have always had the intent and the yearly is adding up but I would have still made the jump. A 40% price hike is a lot for a business to throw on there old customers without a warning. Even if @danny chooses to open a window I may still not go for it. Also the comments that I should have just put it on a Credit card is not the answer and none of anyone’s business.

2 Likes

There seems to be an agenda by the people who unfairly feel they were not given notice of the price increase to set a tone that “the masses are unhappy”. Just to properly set expectations…

I just went back in this topic, and I’m counting a few handfuls of unhappy customers on this topic… far fewer than the number of $699ers in the last 3 days… and a rounding error compared to the number of $119ers.

I’m sure there are more unhappy, but there are more of the others as well.

14 Likes

Just as I would have thought. The folks that were truly on the fence about lifetime got the message. They realize this is last call and put down the $699. And I’m not surprised that lifetime numbers are a tiny part of subscriptions.

1 Like

This article provides a brief history on the connection between Roon and Meridian’s Sooloos…
https://www.tonepublications.com/spotlight/roon-is-here-worlds-first-in-depth-review/

1 Like