Lifetime price increase, $499 -> $699

Well in that case…being between jobs = this person needs to prioritize their life and not worry about the price of Roon.

What do you mean prioritise their life Roon is life , for people who like music that’s why my mouth is constantly open and arguing the toss.

I’m sorry I feel like I’m odds to the consensus on here. But all I say is a weeks hiatus and that’s iit ol Danny!!

Is life not worth $200?

You need to take a look at PiCorePlayer, MoOde and other “FREE” software. They are specifically made for those out of a job.

1 Like

I’m a member of another forum and they quote me calling me an idiot for saying what I do, and they don’t even know it’s me , Long live the Roon Danny and long life Meridian also !!

Anyways I’m up to my second day threshold no doubt.

1 Like

Great decision by Roon. If we want Roon to be able to develop and make the software better over time, they need this type of business model.
Money every week/month/year over time. To make the life time “expensive” is the whole idea. End users should want to take the cheaper alternative, in this case the yearly subscription. Personally, I would not want to lock myself in with the life time subscription. What if there is another, better software in the future ?

I am happy to pay yearly, as long as ROON fits my needs and so on.

ROON is a great product. Digitalization done right.

:slight_smile:

1 Like

Not long at all. But a lot of people just want something for nothing.
Life teaches you that you have to pay for things you value!

So I just understand some logic here.
I go to Tesco UK (Or Walmart in US) and I see something on offer but I am not be ready to buy it. The next morning I go back to the shop just to see that the thing I liked is no longer on offer…can I go to the Management to request yesterday’s price because I was considering to buy it yesterday but was not sure, or that my basket was too heavy?

3 Likes

Bad example if u aske me. The original price wasn’t an offer, I never expected an increase of the price without a warning before, and not comparable cause some of us were asking for an extended time for the actual year subscribers, like the 15 day trial users, not an offer. And by the way, Tesco and Walmart do new offers every year, specially near black friday, they don’t increase the prices.

Is a little comical to see how almost all the actual lifetime subscribers are defending Roon decission, and all the year subscribers don’t.

1 Like

I’d previously been heartened by Danny’s response on another thread

… which was comforting enough at the time. But I hadn’t considered the full implications until I read the end-of-life statement about Sooloos.

I guess a way around it would be to build in functionality for users to add their own artist/album art and blurbs, but if Roon was folding up I probably wouldn’t expect it unless it had been developed beforehand.

it was indeed an offer and just because you didn’t expect it to go up doesn’t make it a bad example. You may not expect the price on avocados to go up either, and the grocery store wouldn’t owe you the old price.

Additionally, we made it clear multiple times on this community site that the lifetime price would go up and/or the lifetime option be eliminated.

Who’s to say that this isn’t the deal for Black Friday before we kill it for good? There is no good time for a price increase.

9 Likes

For me I never really understood going with the annual and then switching to lifetime since you’d be out the money you paid for that year. If you used it for over a year and switched you already paid the $200 over the lifetime price. You don’t get credit for the time spent.

At least if you’re in annual you can drop it if someone comes out with a better product. We already see some lifetime members dropping to go to Amazon HD. They lose out on the money spent. But then can always come back in a few years to see if recent updates make it competitive again.

I’m astonished to see some people unequivocally supporting this move and unquestioningly swallowing all that was said in the original post as if there were no alternative to the way it was done.

Where I come from, it would be known as pulling a fast one. So be it. They have successfully caught some of us out (those identified as now most valuable to them, oddly). Congratulations. Mission accomplished, it appears. But whatever the supposed justification, springing nasty surprises is not an endearing trait. And now they have form. Starting small, perhaps, but what next? Removing support for Tidal without warning “in order to focus on the core offering” (the day after I renew my subscription, perhaps)?

I still like the product but I don’t like this way of doing business. I’m not going to lose sleep over it. I just find it churlish. Something that ought to have been beneath them.

Lifetimers may scoff or grumble about those grumbling. But perhaps it would be better to offer some support. One sharp move unchecked leads to another and the next or the one after might turn out to affect you in a way you don’t like.

I don’t have an aversion to paying for things by subscription. I’m not necessarily saying I would take up lifetime at the old price if given a chance (or wouldn’t now, while it lasts after the hike). I might prefer to feel good about myself as I continue to contribute to the ongoing well-being of the product. That’s all beside the point.

I would dispute that they have been upfront about it. The only communication I received from Roon that referred to the lifetime option - the email I received at the end of the trial, about six months ago - gave a very different impression, pushing it quite strongly as a mutually desirable and natural progression from annual, with no hint that it might be at risk of withdrawal or a 40% price hike out of the blue.

Also, the rationale given as behind it only really makes sense to me if they consider themselves close to saturation point in terms of subscribers. If they don’t expect new subscriptions to take up the slack from any ‘losses’ due to some existing annual subscribers switching in a brief window before the price goes up, that’s worrying; if that’s not an issue, then it feels like spiel to cover a cheap trick.

The right thing to do would have been to keep everyone properly informed before such a change (and, for that matter, after - they didn’t even do that as far as I am aware). If there will be some cost to doing this, then so be it. Good customer relations do cost. It is possible to have both a great product and treat customers well. All customers, that is, and not just when it’s convenient to do so.

3 Likes

I read some posts about the increase of the price for the lifetime subscription, but I expected a warning before, now I see it was a mistake on my part expecting it. On the other side I don’t remember anything about the 499$ price being an offer, maybe I’m wrong.

Black friday offer, 200$ price increase haha. Please kill it soon, cause I’m tempted to pay the 699$ and probably will cost me the divorce.

To please all these people why don’t they offer it one last time for $499 on Black Friday. Don’t think this would have a negative impact on their overall business.

And to be honest I was an annual subscriber that was out of work at the time. They had some holiday special years ago and I jumped at the chance to switch to lifetime since $120 a year did seem like a lot on top of monthly Tidal sub I had at the time. Think if roon offered a monthly sub I might have just stuck with that.

1 Like

He joined the forum a day ago…

Must admit that is the (obviously incorrect) impression I’d gained. It’s key to understanding the disappointment of some complainants.

Also hadn’t noticed any indication that lifetime subscriptions would be withdrawn at some point, but hadn’t gone looking for one either, and am only an occasional forum reader.

I have some sympathy for those aggrieved as I could easily have been among them had I discovered Roon a little later, but also appreciate opposing perspectives.

1 Like

One thing I’ve learned is that when it comes to subjective opinions, meaning matters of interpretation rather than fact, there is little be to gained from telling someone they are wrong, or crazy, etc. Doing so removes the spirit of functional dialog and instead reduces the dynamic to a pointless, adversarial battle in which neither side hears the other. The simple act of letting the other know that they are heard, that they aren’t crazy for having their opinion, even if you disagree with it, goes a tremendous way towards removing angst and opens the possibility of actually understanding one another. This keeps with the sentiment of its not what we say, but how we say it.

3 Likes

Now I feel guilty for having bought a lifetime subscription :slight_smile:

6 Likes

I personally hate spending too much time weighing up financial decisions, it sometimes leads to a form of paralysis. So I viewed the lifetime subscription as a good set and forget, never think about it again option.

I also like the campaign they’re currently running that still offers an opportunity to go lifetime for those who value the option sufficiently. Get it while you can!

1 Like