Lifetime price increase, $499 -> $699

Nobody is stopping anyone from looking for alternative ways of enjoying this hobby, how on earth can Danny “Let” them??? You are being ridiculous, as are other on this thread, such as claiming “I have been bilked out of $200” is just utter rubbish.

It would be a nice piece of irony to let this thread run to 699 posts, but it has run it’s course, the various arguments have been done to death, and it seems only more Trolling will ensue.

I vote this thread be closed. This is certainly my last post, and look, at this thread.

5 Likes

Super Black Friday and Christmas gift from Roon, without any warning and possibility to change yearly plan to lifetime for existing customers. Why didn’t you warn about this increase ? Many users buys lifetime licence after first year of usage, now they should pay 200$ more.

1 Like

Are you a lifetime? .

It just the principal that’s the issue obviously your principles are different than mine

OK I will break my word just this once, (so probably according to you I will have poor principals) and make one more post to answer your question.

YES I am a lifetime. I became a lifetime subscriber at the end of my 14 day trial (so for some of us 14 days IS enough time to make the choice). I made the choice, I took the gamble, and stumped up the cash. There was never any promise that the price would remain the same, and as is the case with life there was always the possibility of a price increase.

Yes your principals are different to mine, had I not taken lifetime and instead started with an annual, when it transpired that I had missed the boat at $499, and now had to pay $699 I would have taken it on the chin and told myself that is what happens if you prevaricate. C’est la vie. I would not have endlessly moaned and whinged and cried “unfair” or claimed I was just about to go lifetime and had been cheated. I would have acted like a grown-up, especially following Danny’s very clear statement on why Roon did what they did without notice.

Bye

13 Likes

I think that’s fair enough, I started the trial some months ago with the intention of not getting a subscription or lifetime membership. Oh my goodness, how wrong was I? I realised very early on that it was something that was significantly adding to my music enjoyment, so I bought a years subscription and will continue to do so year on year. Well worth the money in my opinion.

What is wrong with showing empathy with those who feel wronged , I’ve never subscribed to Roon, never paid 2 cent or 1p to have it in my home system but I would if this injustice was reversed, answer that

And it is an injustice, no one likes back door of anything !!

Ok Roon, keep this thread going for a year and a day you’ve made your point you ain’t willing to accept an alternative point of view !!, people may have a point and you may well have put the price up in haste!, obviously the fan boys will agree with your rationale

I really don’t get the drama here. Roon is a business that makes a quality product. This isn’t a relatively static piece of software— dealing with the massive amounts of new music to catalog is in itself an ongoing cost. Not to mention other development, fixing tech debt, scoping out new partnerships, etc. Few pieces of software that take on such large ongoing costs can sustain a flat-fee model anymore. Even Photoshop is now subscription based (and far more expensive than Roon).

It’s fine if they want to discourage yearly subscriptions. There’s no injustice here— they even said people on the current trial period are free to use the $499 price. Or pay the yearly subscription. If you can afford the $500 how can you not afford $10/month for a few years? Given that it will make Roon more sustainable as a company?

Or how about this? Take the $500 and set aside $400 to invest in the S&P500. Then take out just what you need to pay your Roon subscription every 12 months.

4 Likes

You should have done this four years ago. Just like buying a lifetime subscription. But if you don’t like risk, you miss great opportunities.

3 Likes

What I don’t understand is why are the same few lifers on this thread bashing everyone who are upset and defending Roon? Just let everyone vent.

1 Like

And there, in a nutshell, is the problem. They’re too generous with their trials. Really, how long does it take to recognize the value? Or make a decision one way or the other?

1 Like

Huh? I’m really confused by this statement. So you’re not even a current customer?

he’s not!

he:

1. finds $120 too expensive
  2. is out of work but willing to pay $499 for a lifetime
  3. was going to sign up for lifetime, but was busy setting up Meridian 5200.2 speakers (~$14k)
  4. finds a $200 price increase to be an “injustice”

(all this was gathered using his posts above)

If you go to the top of this topic, you can see who the people that generated the most traffic here. There are just a handful of people. Mostly complainers, and a very very prolific defenders of our pricing/product.

Unfortunately, the defenders are causing us more trouble when they can’t move on in a timely manner. The same would apply for the complainers, but there is only so much to complain about if they are not engaged.

17 Likes

Happy to say that, despite my petulant impatience - for which I now apologise here, publicly - my situation has been dealt with efficiently and courteously by Danny and Kevin. As promised, I look forward to telling everyone how fantastic Roon is, both software and support.

4 Likes

No I ain’t, I wanted to take up the subscription, but it isn’t gong to happen now. I don’t have access to Roon at all…

It doesn’t matter what you think I may or may now have here sat in front of me with respect , likewise the fact i don’t work doesn’t mean anything at all either !!

And like i said at 380 approx and Danny responded it isn’t about it my hifi set up or (lack of it)

You don’t work?

You mean you’re retired?

Isn’t that a personal question with respect ?.

My hifi came through 30 years of barter , did yours!.

I too would rather own than rent in general, be it a flooring nailer or software. Oh and I don’t do laundromats FWIW. hmm. There must be a “but” coming up … ah yes and here it is …

But Roon is service. Software based yes but primarily a service that depends on backend services that must be paid for along with myriad other recurring operating costs. The day Roon stops paying those recurring bills is the day our wonderful Roon “software“ becomes a digital paperweight. IMHO Roon is more correctly compared to your local cable and wireless providers than Noodlesoft (my personal favorite software company).

1 Like

This post states “To someone like me who currently is out of work it’s a lot of money.” – that implies “not retired” as it is a “current” situation.

You volunteered that information…you said you don’t work…didn’t you?

If you don’t want to discuss the subject, then don’t mention it…