Lifetime price increase, $499 -> $699

I’m getting slightly irritated by all the smug lifetime members crawling up Roon’s backside.

We all get the business rationale, it’s the way it has been handled that has bothered those who’s money has been funding Roon for the last few years.

1 Like

Don’t be! @DancingSea is clearly upset and is venting. He’s not said anything out-of-line. He and a few others strongly feel that we handled this badly. If you felt like them, you’d vent too!

Don’t be! They just differ in their opinion of the situation and are trying to get you to see their way. The ones that cross the line into aggressive behavior get flagged and we delete the posts and often warn the person.

7 Likes

It’s always questionable when the bookkeeper does marketing decisions.
All the reasons given are based solely on financial controlling. So far so good.
The impact on customer perception of a 40% increase without prior notice was weighted very low and this is obviously a mistake.
Customers on the fence feel treated unfair and I can understand them.
Affronting (potential) customers does not increase cash flow.

1 Like

So…

How about if Roon had announced that they would be increasing the price of lifetime membership by (say) $10 every month? How would that impact takeup and future cash flow? At what point would lifetime takeup fall to zero?

2 Likes

Customers can make or break a product. Treating loyal customers badly is the first step towards failure for a successful product. Looks like the COO has enough money, he doesn’t care about customers. I am one of those that feel, all his responses are rude with a “I don’t care if u r not a customer anymore” attitude.

On the positive side, I am now starting to feel I made a good choice by not paying the life time subscription (which I would have by the end of year if the price remained the same) . For me to break even (At the old price), I’d have to be a customer of Roon for at least 4.5 years. I am sure there will be another product (s) that will surpass Roon in the next 4.5 years. After all software growth is exponential.

In a small company, the people deciding the marketing decisions are often critical involved in financial decisions.

…and longevity. That impacts current and future subscribers, lifetime and annual.

While you are 100% correct, every unpopular decision (even giving notice would have been unpopular with some subset) comes with unhappy customers. We weighed this before making the call, with multiple models predicting impact. It’s too early to tell how we are doing – but I’m starting to feel we should have raised it to $999.

Potential customers of lifetime subscriptions is not what we want. We do not want to increase cash flow. If we wanted that, we would have given notice.

Ah yes, what I would give for a crystal ball :mage: :8ball:

2 Likes

Oh believe me, I care!

EXACTLY. I’m going to work hard to keep you for the next 4.5 years and beyond by making the best product, not because I have you locked in. Roon will not stagnate. After all, software growth is exponential. We will be right there, pushing that limit.

8 Likes

I don’t know if you considered an incremental increase; I’d like to know how people would respond though… I genuinely have no idea…

We did. It was too complex to model properly, and it’d be insane to raise the price every month!

1 Like

I realize you are doing your genuine best and have no ill intent. The quote above does illustrate a lack of consideration for your current customers. You are focused entirely on your own company with little express regard for customer relations. The point of giving current customers a deal on an upgrade window is not so much about you wanting, or not wanting cash flow. It’s about not making your customers feel disrespected and slighted. It’s about building brand loyalty by treating your customers well. Your actions are the antithesis of that.

One day, you will have genuine competition. The winner of that duel will be the one who delivers BOTH a quality product and fantastic customer relations. By offending perhaps 50% or more of your customer base, you’ve made a chess move that lacks the ability to see several moves ahead.

4 Likes

If annual re-subscribes were to immediately take a substantial hit, I’m pretty sure that policies and attitudes at Roon would suddenly change regarding retro-active $499 price eligibility. If subscriptions were month-to-month, and customers could vote more immediately with their pocketbooks, subscribers would be more able to shape policy (in theory at least).

But with annually-based subscriptions, there’s not much existing customers can do at the moment, other than to vent, and then vent some more. And months from now briefly cancel subscriptions (and then a couple of days later resubscribe!).

BTW, one thing lifetime license holders cannot do is vote with their pocketbooks!

1 Like

I believe we do deliver on both. I believe the majority of customers feel the same. I’ll keep trying my best and see how this plays out.

In the meanwhile, I would advise you to stop speaking on behalf of all current customers. You aren’t all current customers. If the numbers say anything, “current customers” have decided that $699 is a great deal.

I believe we have it already. I just wrote about it today.

7 Likes

My glass is actually Full; it is half full of a fine single malt, and half full of air = completely full.

1 Like

I apologize for any offense. All of my feedback is ultimately driven by a great appreciation for Roon itself. Please accept my comments in that light.

2 Likes

On my own opinion, the mistake is giving better conditions for the new customers on 15 days trial, and 0 benefits for the actual year subscribers, it offends me a little, sincerely.

1 Like

Roon is not giving “better conditions” to the new customers. What they are doing is giving people that have not had an opportunity to use Roon for a while a chance to buy the lifetime license at the old price. Existing customers have had that chance for at least a little while. If you had intended to purchase a lifetime license you procrastinated too long. You can still get a lifetime license but I wouldn’t wait too long…

1 Like

And that is… better conditions.

No. That is the same opportunity.

1 Like

Whatever ROON costs it is worth it. I pay annually and will continue to do so. I appreciate what ROON has done to increase the already considerable amount of pleasure I get out of music.

1 Like

After reading Danny’s explanation, I have no problem sticking with an annual subscription to better support Roon. It also allows me to vote with my wallet should the time come.

I should note that I had maybe 6 weeks left on my yearly subscription and had fully intended to go for the Lifetime subscription.

For me, $10 a month is a bargain for something that gets used every, single, day.

5 Likes