Lifetime price increase, $499 -> $699

As I already said I’m fine for now paying the year subscription, but I personally don’t like what I told u about the 15 trial days, u don’t have to agree with me, it’s my point of view vs yours.

I agree totally, why should customers in a 30 day trial have better conditions/options, crazy, makes me question continuing even though I like the product. Not a well thought through strategy.

I’m not sure you’re on target here. For the most part, customers care more about a quality product than customer relations. To put it another way, if I have to choose a doctor based on bedside manner versus skill, I’d take the latter every time. Obviously, both is better.

I’m guessing this is being done in retrospect, since the $499 lifetime was listed in the terms when the trial period began. Most likely a legal decision. Just a guess though.

1 Like

I paid the renewal for the year the 9th of october. Kinda of sucks…
oh well…

But at that time, you could have gone lifetime for $499.
Why didn’t you?

because the exchange with the NZD dollar at that time was bad, sure with hind sight would have been the right choice but I was waiting a better rate.
Anyway it is Roonlabs choice and I respect it.
@Jim_F you are right it applies only to new subscription, my bad

How on earth does it suck?? You had the opportunity to go Lifetime on 9th October, but chose to stay with Annual. If you wanted Lifetime, why did you not go with it then? Sour grapes?

1 Like

Please read

That was not up when I questioned, we both were typing at the same time…

all good. The sucks was more a self deprecating moment. At that time I thought to go full in with life time but wasn’t the right moment. Also I didn’t read that the offer was only for new subscription so wouldn’t have changed a lot.

I imagine that most Roon users are serious audiophiles and have spent a fortune on audio gear over the years; I know I have. If I could have bought a piece of gear, any piece of gear that would have pleased me for a lifetime for $699, I would have considered it a bargain.

Why can’t we think of Roon in the same way?

6 Likes

I think you’d be surprised how diverse the user community is, equipment wise. If you go through the various setups people show, there is a huge range.
Some people have a ton of money and spend considerably. Some don’t have so much and still buy big. But there are a lot of users that are simply passionate and with, uh, unremarkable systems.
So, I don’t have a lot of sympathy for the folks that simply missed the boat and could have afforded it. But $500 is a big hit for some folks. Either way, people want to vent. That’s healthy.

3 Likes

Just a thought.

Roon may want to update their web page to be more accurate to the present day Roon software.

Disclaimer: This post was not meant to Troll the thread of any user.

1 Like

Good luck be it Kodi or Xbmc- you get what you pay for - nothing - their audio option does not come anywhere near to what the Roon team have developed in terms audio software.

Someone has to pay for software development, This view that an open source software will provide solutions in this space does not promote development in terms of audio solutions. I rather have an option which underpins development in an economic sustainable manner as opposed to the work being done for “gratis”.

Not constructive. Sorry.

8 Likes

i was bummed about the price increase my trial just ended, but after reading the reasoning behind the increase i understand it and i’m happy to support with an annual subscription. i rather pay for a life time but i like roon so far and i want it to stick around. now if we could get amazon hd integration would be nice. hopefully one of these days…

I bought into lifetime 3+ years ago, as I recall it was pretty much within the trial period and I had to mess about a bit as I wanted it but the default then was 1year only. Never looked back. I would do the same today…roon has come a loooong way in the years I have been using it, and the value that lifetime at today’s price would still make the VFM work for me. Hindsight is often 20/20 vision, but I also think roon is quite right in probably dropping the lifetime, in fact I’m surprised it lasted as long as it has…don’t be surprised if it disappears sooner than later.

1 Like

I tried out Roon about three years ago and saw that $499 lifetime was pretty sweet and did it, very happy that I did. $699 knowing what you do now, hardly different. If you didn’t do it, or don’t do it now, fine, but please don’t complain later.

1 Like

Funny. Why would there be a commitment from Roon to never raise the annual license price? That would not be very smart. Nor did Roon make a commitment to not raise the lifetime license price.

When you go to the hardware store to buy a lawnmower that was selling for $500 and now is $700, do you get mad at the hardware store for not telling you the price was going to go up? I guess you could…but it doesn’t make much sense to do so.

Roon doesn’t owe you anything here and they did not violate any trust. You can think they did, but that does not make it so.

6 Likes