Line-in input as source

I’m just another customer, can’t speak for Roon, I’m just pointing out a complicating issue that they will have to think about. Ignoring it is one option,

But if it were my company, I don’t think I would like to implement a feature that works well only on low-end configurations and can’t be scaled up to a multi-room system or a recommended configuration. Would annoy not only high-end customers but every customer who makes the first step toward expansion.

This concept has for me bern kinda nice but not really critical.
My important content is available elsewhere.
Yeah, I’m a coastal elitist…

Until Sia and Maddie.
Through YouTube.
@brian @danny We need this.

EDIT Of course I know sync with video is problematic. But…

Same here, would love if Roon accepts inputs! Hope this is pretty high on Roons list!

1 Like

plus one

it would be nice if Roon would accept a digital stream from another program instead of just streaming services and local storage so we could use the DSP functions.

+1 for this.

It is possible to tell if this is being looked at?
It’s been a request for 5 years…

I believe you’ve answered your own question. I surmise the complexities of creating a consistent and supportable solution have pushed this one way, way down the priority list.

it would seem one of the more simple feature requests I’ve seen.

Without having a visible list of what’s on the radar, how can know if it is even being consider vs. just lost in the feature request thread?

The problem is, what program?
How do you run it, how do choose what to do with it, how do you run the user interface?
Remember, for many (most?) of us, the Core that would accept this 8nput is running on a headless Linux box in a closet in the basement.

A viable solution has to run a program on the remote, maybe an iPad or Android device, send the signal back to the Core, do its thing (multi-zone sync, DSP…), and then send it to the chosen endpoint, most often not that same iPad.

That is the Roon architecture. We wouldn’t want a limited solution that worked only in some configurations.

Possible but not trivial.

See my rep,y to Bruce:

Hi Anders,
Thanks for tbe reply.

i suppose I was thinking of a very simple implemntation.

The key point is the leverage the distribution cabaility of RAAT not to provde a whole new streaming subsystem of user content.

So I envisioned:

• Line in on the core machine being exposed like a streaming service

That simple.
How a user want to get content into the core is up to them. There are plenty of audio distributions methods available.

As for UI. Its just like any other streaming service. Like Tidal etc. you get a “external source” entry in the menu on the left.
If you select it, a tile appear, which you can select and press “play now”
That would then route the line audio to that zone

I don’t see the need to complicate it any further than this.
This would allow for so many cool things:

• stream airplay from a ropieeexl to multiple zones
  • stream you existing hifi equipment to zones
  • stream bluetooth from a bluetooth to rca bridge
  • send your recievers ‘zone 2’ out to roon

The above would be totally amazing in my book! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hi Guy

I totally agree with you! An input on whatever machine the Roon core is running on would seem the best choice. Then let users decide if they want to configure their system in a way to use the feature or not.

I have a mix of vinyl, ripped CD’s and streamed inputs. I have to use the ‘line in’ connection on one of my Sonos Zone players to connect my turntable (via phono stage outputs) and then control which zones it streams to via the Sonos app. It’s the only thing I have to use the Sonos app for and is a PITA when all else is being managed and controlled via Roon.

The only thing I can think, is that when the Roon development team have looked into this feature, they have got tangled up in the myriad of all the possible use cases out there, and it then dies under its own weight.

I’m with you. A simple ‘line in’ capability on wherever the Roon core is located and let users decide how/if they want to use it.

1 Like

Support this. As long as the Core input device is selectable (USB or other inputs, analog/digital) this should be fine. My Roon server is silent so it can easily be placed with the rest of the hifi. Option for a RAAT input stream can be added later if possible.

1 Like

HI Ogs,
For input device selection, I assume it could be like the Audio Output device selection where it lists all the audio inputs on the machine and you could select one but limited to the Core machine.
For the Verson 2, the RAAT input stream idea you suggestion, it could be the same again, but this time it lists all the inputs of all the devices on your network.

I’ve waited for this many years. I’m still hoping it will come. It is a very important feature, but it keeps drowning among all the ‘new’ things that come with the current way of using music I guess. I still want to play my vinyl, not rip it to files.

I’m using a Bluesound Node 2 for this. And the Node 2 only serves for this purpose.
It takes TOSLINK or 3.5 mm and works fine with my other Bluesound or NAD BluOS endpoints.
I have never tried to group it with my non-BluOS endpoints but it may work as they are all Roon RAAT.

Thanks. I completely depend on convolution and peq. Roon does this very nicely. I had a Devialet 250 Pro (originally a D-Premier) with an excellent phono stage. I never used the phono input because I couldn’t play through convolution. Devialet actually promised convolution in the amp’s DSP, but never delivered. So an ‘input device’ in Roon would be good.

I’m using Dirac Live in my 2 main sets on a NAD T 777 v3 and on a miniDSP DDRC-24.

Cool! I’ve looked at the SHD. I am sure that would sound good, but using Audiolense since 2012 I prefer classic convolution. And too much time invested in Audiolense to jump to Dirac…

I am all up for this but as Roon core is not bespoke hardware but more often an off the shelf pc or mac what type of connection would you use as input into the core? Using anything analogue on the pc will rely on the crappy ADC in the pc and likely be very noisey, using USB would then have the pitfall of driver issues unless you noble it to USB audio class 1 and pray all devices support it. Not all cores are pcs some are dedicated boxes with their own customised OS, and may not support input via analogue or usb. They cant support just one system type it has to be all or nothing with Roon.

There would be two parts to this:

(1) Roon would show up as a sound output device in the OS, so you could just tell software like VLC player or your web browser to output to Roon which would then pass it on to an endpoint. This wouldn’t require a physical analog or digital input.

(2) If it is also to work with something like a turntable, then yes, you also need an input that you connect to the above output device. I don’t think Roon would get involved in creating an input device, but simply to take any input that can be mapped to the Roon output device. So you could use an ADC, a sound card, etc., as long as it can be mapped to the output.

Those hoping to use it to watch videos should understand that latency will likely put the audio out of sync with the video.