Line-in input as source

Ok, so I know we can over engineer this but why? Take a look at this ADC from hifiberry. It lets you broadcast a record player or any analog input but you have to install a logitec media server. I just wish an audio input device showed up like a radio station or a list of audio sources in the roon client. Yep I have to buy/build a device to bridge my analog into the roon digital world but how is that different than buying a bridge to get my raat digital to play over my analog Amp and speakers?

1 Like

Mono input?

The above model is stereo but this one might talk about mono https://www.hifiberry.com/docs/hardware/using-dynamic-microphones-with-the-dac-adc/

No itā€™s stereo. Itā€™s also not a great ADC o already have one and tried it. The biggest issue is getting the signal out at the best quality. But all internet radio encoders seem not to do hires. If your a wizz you can build a version of the latest liquid soap that uses ffmpeg so itā€™s can encode at 24bit, but itā€™s not easy at all, I tried and gave up it just wouldnā€™t work. I also tried just using ffmpeg as the encoder to icecast server but this had constant buffer issues and stream would be choppy. You can on windows use foobar but itā€™s not very practical or reliable I found. An input like that one in LMS would be brilliant in Roon. Its begging for an extension.

1 Like

I disagree @CrystalGipsy on the quality of the ADC from HiFiBerry. Of course this is subjective but the specs are solid and I am finding the performance outstanding. I am using snapcast on latest RPi to roon clients and I am getting great audio.

1 Like

Folks who want an analogue in source for their system it is possible, here is what I didā€¦

I replaced all of my old DLNA endpoints with HiFiBerry endpoints. Each Raspberry Pi 3b+ with HiFiBerry DAC Pro+ as well as a casing and flash drive runs about $75. I installed each of the end points with the HiFiBerry OS, super easy. I then created a Snapcast server using a Raspberry Pi 3b+ with a HiFiBerry DAC + ADC Pro and loaded the server with Snapcast. I configure the snapcast client on the endpoints with the server address and turn on the roon client. Now when I play a record it plays on the endpoints I have configured in snapcast. and when I play roon it plays on the endpoints I have configured in roon. Now this is the real bummer, two different grouping mechanisms. If roon clients supported snapcast servers then this would be solved but it is better than nothing!

+1 for this feature so it can fully take over whole house audio!

https://community.roonlabs.com/t/introducing-entrypoints-the-audio-entrance-to-roon/121341/26

I would love a line input. Why:

• This would enable the ability to run test tones into my setup for phase/PEQ calibration.
  • Enable devices such as LP etc to play in my zone, and have Roon perform crossover duties.
1 Like

If you want to add your vote - click the Vote button at the top of the thread - thatā€™s what counts as a voteā€¦

+1 for an Input Device! Please, with sugar on top!

Please dont mention video and line input like this. The main reason I think Roon is staying away from this, is people trying to use this with video streaming and dsp through a wifi connection. Video streaming will cause lag and desync issues with the audio and video and Roon having to deal with people complaining about this would be why they donā€™t even want to touch it. Let the people that want to listen to vinyl records, reel to reel and cds have a shot at hoping Roon introduces this without people asking for the moon, such as intense DSP somehow syning with video in close to real time using wifi, which is a fantasy at this point.and not encouraging Roon to impliment an input device feature.