Linear Phase v Minimum Phase?

or perhaps even a bit higher.

https://www.madisoundspeakerstore.com/ribbon-tweeters/raal-70-10d-raal-ribbon-tweeter-with-amorphous-core/

1 Like

Hi,
Since I wrote this in 2018 lots of various progresses in my audio reproduction system, lots of experiments and listening sessions. My system is now better phase-aligned, it is sensitive enough to fairly well mark differences between various interpolations - on well known, good recordings of course.
Actually I am now happily living with a linear phase (actually zero-phase) resampling (sinc M) in HQplayer; using a DAC that minimizes the digital audio circuitry and has a clean analog part as well as a battery PSU.
I would tend to believe I might actually have been sensitive to other, non-phase related issues
previously: for example pre-ringing. I hear better spatialisation with that sinc M, and better transients. The combination of both makes it an overall winner in my system.
Hope this clarifies and updates.

1 Like

Phase accuracy really goes out of the window along with ‘the original waveform’ the moment it goes through your speakers or headphones. A null test would allow you to actually demonstrate whether audio has changed after undergoing processing.
Integrated Circuits are great and DAC manufacturers publish documents on their filters, which will be pretty much what you get in your audio equipment if it’s designed well. The ideal filter is that with best cutoff frequency and best attenuation of frequencies above as far as I am aware.