Linn Organik DAC DSM Roon Certification

Could someone from Roon please answer when you will have the new Linn Organik DAC equipped DSMs certified and able to play full 24 384 and DSD256 resolution files. The ball is in your court! I have confirmed directly from Linn, the following…

Checked with our Software team. Response below:

“I’m afraid we don’t have an answer for this. We have a bespoke integration with Roon which required some extensions to support 384k / DSD256. We agreed these extensions some time ago and have updated DSM firmware accordingly. We’re now waiting on Roon to schedule their side of the work. I don’t have any firm schedule for when this will happen.

For now, the highest resolution files can be played via Roon, albeit they’ll be downsampled to 192k / DSD128. Linn app (via traditional media server) supports these files in their native resolution.”

3 Likes

Hi @Joel_Roberts ,
I shifted this out of Support as it’s not a Support issue and flagged Roon staff. Hopefully you will get a response, but I can’t tell you when.

Hopefully, it will get a response. Thanks!

1 Like

Let’s hope so. It is a poor show from Roon.

To me it looks like a poor showing from Linn. It is difficult to understand why Roon should invest manpower getting to work Linn devices properly.

1 Like

Nothing to do with Linn. This is a new product that was introduced a couple of years ago and it has never been updated by Roon. As you can see Linn have done their bit.
Roon are constantly going on about the new products they have certified, which presumably takes manpower. That’s what they charge punters for.

Have Linn confirmed they have dispatched an example to allow Roon to verify the work? This is more extensive than just tweaking code.

I agree. The problem must be on Linn’s end.

Why, oh why can a competitor like Lumin get their Roon certification sorted as their new products are launched, and Linn can’t manage it after two-years? Poor show Linn.

Can Linn devices even undergo a certification? Certified devices use the Raat protocol? Linn uses OpenHome, a UPnP derivate. That must be the source of the mess.

1 Like

Linn is Roon approved and the protocol works great with Roon. The only issue is with this particular product from Linn, which is not updated by Roon and does not detect DXD and DSD256.
Linn has products released after this one that have been updated in Roon, so it is nonsense to blame Linn for the delay.

Approved is obviously not the same thing as certified.

I have a Linn Klimax Organik DS. And I’m pretty ■■■■■■ I can’t stream my DSD256 files to it via Roon.

I think this gives me the right to be critical!? :smirk:

As for Linn’s engagement with Roon, it’s not just the Organik stuff that is MIA. They haven’t even managed to get the Majik DSM 2020 certified by Roon.

1 Like

My Organik DSM plays DSD128 no problem.
Far from agreeing with you though, I believe this is more about putting pressure on Linn to adopt RAAT than anything else (ie it’s about money). I spoke to Linn at the recent Bristol HiFi show.

Yes, I meant DSD256 files, which won’t stream via Roon even though the Organik DAC will play them.

As for RAAT, Linn will never adopt it. They believe in ‘open source’ too much.

And I have to disagree with you here. It’s not ‘trolling’. Linn are clearly ‘behind the curve’ with respect to Roon, compared to its competitors.

I am afraid this current problem will repeat itself again and again with every new Linn device as long as they don’t integrate the Raat protocol.

As I said, when I spoke to Linn I can see why Roon are dragging their feet. They want Linn to adopt the RAAT protocol, Linn don’t want to.
Linn also said they would never do DSD!!
We’ll see.

It’s easy for a manufacturer to blame Roon.

Although Roon may not be faultless in accrediting products, past experience with other manufacturers shows that any delays are mainly due to the manufacturers themselves, rather than Roon.

You’re spreading wrong assumptions here, since Roon representatives openly stated that they’re neither charging a cent for product certification, nor for supplying or licensing the RAAT SDK to manufacturers.
:man_facepalming:
I can’t be bothered to search for the relevant posts for you…

1 Like

The point here is that the protocol already exists. The argument about RAAT vs Open Home is history. Linn are not the only manufacturer who have been accommodated by Roon.
This is a simple question of an upgrade in the Roon software to enable the higher frequencies.
As a buyer of Linn products who were doing streaming long before Roon existed, I trust their understanding of protocols more than Roon. My experience of RAAT on other systems is that UPNP sounds better, it is a noisy protocol.

1 Like

Purely subjective, and without any objective evidence whatsoever.

RAAT sounds absolutely fine. As it should. Otherwise Roon wouldn’t’ t use it.