Linux command line ROCK?

Hi,

Using a Mac, trying to follow ROCK install guide. I can’t open the img file and I have no idea where do I run the linux command line?

Thanks in advance

If you use Linux on your desktop, then you could enter the commands that are given in the „Option 2“ ROCK install guide for Linux into the Terminal app in Linux. (But note that this is option 2. A typical desktop Linux would have a GUI app for writing the img file to a stick that might work as well, though I didn’t try)

But you say that your Roon server machine is macOS. So, where exactly are you trying to prepare the ROCK install USB stick, i.e., on which kind of machine with which operating system?

Hi

I’m trying to uncompress the img.gz on Imac/Mac OS for installing on Intel NUC.

Then you don’t have anything to do with a Linux command line. Follow the instructions for Mac,

Option 1: Windows / Mac OS / Linux

on

Thank you. So once I’ve flashed the USB drive using etcher and then I carry on by plugging into NUC. Do I need to update bios on NUC11? I’ve read that’s not necessary.

Exactly :+1:

(Don’t forget to prepare the NUC‘s BIOS as described - though the description may not 100% reflect what your NUC has, the concepts should be very similar)

Many thanks for your help. :+1:t2:

1 Like

You need a decent unarchiver don’t use the inbuilt macOS one as it doesn’t preserve it as an image to burn.

The instructions say not to unarchive explicitly at all and use Etcher directly on the img.gz? Are they wrong?

No idea not done Rock on my Mac . I use my pc usually for this stuff but was on my Mac the other day as pc wasn’t free and I was creating a dietpi install and it unarchived it to folders rather than preserve it as an iso via the macOS archiver. I have always unzipped when using etcher.

I just recalled that macOS automatically decompresses .img.gz files to .img files during download, but this is just decompression and shouldn’t affect the img file content. The result is simply a Disk Image file (which can be loaded by Edger):

I didn’t use Etcher on Mac for ROCK installation but did use it for other OS installations from img.gz files (e.g., Ubuntu) and never had to do anything special.

1 Like

I guess I might have clicked on the img file if it decompresses on download. Not noticed it does that before as I don’t tend to use it for this type of thing or using archive files much. Good to know.

Yeah, I think it might have caught me unawares once when my Mac was new, it is a bit surprising that it does the decompress automatically when one is not used to it. It does the same with zip files as well :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thank you both. Helps my understanding!

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 45 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.