Linux reference books

@Michael_Harris, if you took your first steps in learning Linux back in 1994, this should be an easy walk for you now without a terminal.

I came to Windows in the 80s via the IBM PC and MS-DOS and didn’t look at Linux until Windows 8.1. I believed in a fiddling I could never do on my own. Mistake as it turns out today. It is made so easy today.

The standard work (The Linux Bible) by Kofler is now in its 17th edition 2021 and every IT student will be looking for the latest edition. I have the 14th edition from 2016 and notice in comparison that the basics never get lost. In the meantime, the basic work has grown to 1450 pages, taking into account the more current developments.

It is so pleasant not to have to read everything and slowly expand the knowledge according to topics. Mr. Kofler himself says he has sections that are still original as in the 1st edition. So you will read a part of your books like current and another part is described much too complicated by today’s standards.

1 Like

They were the fun day’s, but it was amazing that it worked at all. I came to Linux from Sun OS, Solaris and SCO Unix. Love at first CLI as that was all there was back then. X came later and that was a real chore to configure. We had to build a new kernel for everything but it was so much fun and moved so fast.

These days I have fallen way behind as I do not have much tinkering time. Everything is generally all professional now and almost everything just work’s so it’s great for people starting out.

I will have to check what the last edition of the Linux Bible I still have at home is, but I think it’s 2 or 3.

2 Likes