With a broader stream of MQA albums now available, I thought it would be good to have a place to discuss our impressions of the listening experiences for decoded MQA vs non-MQA hi-res versions.
I would suggest the following guidelines:
- This is about the music and the listening experience – keep technical discussions of the merits/science of MQA out of it
- For as much consistency as possible, make sure you are listening through Roon and through the same output zone and MQA-compatible DAC For both versions
- List the hi-res version source and format you are comparing
- List the equipment chain
- Since it is likely that the two versions have different sound levels, try to adjust for that before you perform any critical listening
- (Finally!) Mention your impressions of the two versions – timing, tone, brightness, warmth, tingles, tears…
I will be posting my own thoughts in the coming days, but my initial reaction is – intrigue. Definitely different. A few albums sound overly bright/crisp. But I really need more time before I can provide any comments with any level of confidence.
Enjoy the music!