Live Radio: metadata

Sorry something was wrongly set, now it should work!

1 Like

It does indeed! Well done, RĂ©mi.

I’ve managed to deploy the hack to the cloud for all 8 FIP stations and added the links to the Live Radio directory. FIP stations can now be streamed with metadata for all Roon users. Please note this is not provided by Roon team and can break anytime :slight_smile:

You need to select as default the second AAC stream, it has :8000 near the end of the address.
Screenshot 2020-05-11 at 03.31.59

Credits go to @Sebastian for the design and coding!

3 Likes

Btw, I have been able to get rid of LiquidSoap for the Radio Paradise version, which makes it much more simple: similar now to the FIP version, except of course that we have to use RSAS instead of Icecast2.

You can give a try to rsas.fouss.com/paradise for a couple of hours.

Perfect @Sebastien, merci 

@Sebastien yes it works well, thanks!

Screenshot 2020-05-11 at 17.22.06

My stream is http://34.107.62.0:8000/paradise

EDIT: I have added the stream to the Live Radio directory. It should work up to 100 users.

Great Job RĂ©mi! Everything works fine!
C’est fabuleux!

1 Like

Same thing for Radio Paradise. Thanks SĂ©bastien and RĂ©mi. :slight_smile:
I hope Roon’s team reads this thread. :wink:
je croise les doigts

Thanks, using your excellent instructions I was able to get an rsas server + node-red setup working on Ubuntu under windows 10.

If I could only get rsas on an rpi

Hi all,
highly informative thread this.
My name is Florian, i run motherearth.
I’d be happy to get Roon users on-board.
We did update icecast once to a icecast-KH version, but had trouble with it and discarded that for now.
We also tried out RSAS instead of Icecast, but had even more trouble with it, and it is a cost-issue.
What else could we do? The latest conversation about API’s is a little over my head i have to admit.
As already pointed out i stream to icecast with liquidsoap, i think i can get liquidsoap to do almost anything to help, but not the End-of-file inside a stream issue. Dev’s pointed out that this is client-sided.

JB Radio-2 is back on Roon’s list, how have they been able to fix, anyone knows that?

thanks and greetings,
Florian

1 Like

Hello and welcome @Florian_Reiterer. I really appreciate your posting here.

With flac streams there are now two ways of adding metadata. One uses the header of a flac file to hold it, but this entails sending separate files within the Ogg stream with associated beginning and end-of-stream flags; and as you know, not all clients deal with this gracefully. At the moment Roon will stop when it sees the EOS flag.

The alternative is effectively the same as Icecast uses for aac and mp3 streams - an icy-metaint field is used to specify regular intervals in the stream where the metadata is inserted. Unfortunately, Icecast cannot do this for Flac files, although Rocket Streaming Audio Server can.

This is how Radio Paradise works, for example.

JB Radio-2 used to use the first method (separate flac files), but have recently stopped, no longer send metadata in their flac streams, and just send a continuous flac stream. Hence Roon doesn’t see EOS flags and has no problems.

The bottom line is that if Icecast is used, then at present Roon cannot handle metadata.

I’m pinging @dylan, @Sebastien, @alec_eiffel and @andybob here in case they have anything to add.

1 Like

Thank you Brian for summing it up.
From what liquidsoap’s dev told me i might not be able to fix this; yet i’ll give it another shot; maybe we can enhance the embedded stream’s metadata to icecast a bit more, there is a slight weirdness in my config, to as where i dont send icy_metadata in the options since metadata only passed thru icecast when disabled. Anyway i’ll have another look.
Thanks!

Please do, but I am not confident. Trying the icy_metaint route fails because Icecast will not allow updating of flac metadata via HTTP requests as it does for mp3 and aac; and as the server needs to control the metadata interval for each client, this can’t be done by the source itself.

Without that option, the only way the source can properly add metadata to a flac stream, ahead of the server, is to add it to the flac header for each song - which leaves us with the EOS problem as such headers follow a BOS flag, which in turn should follow EOS ones.

I applaud your efforts to find a solution, but I think this is Roon’s problem.

Brian

Hi Everyone,

we have upgraded the radio to RSAS, Roon should be fine now.

Anyone interested could add the station via this adress:

http://icecast3.streamserver24.com/motherearth.pls

Thanks all for your input, which i found very helpful and thanks for being such a nice community.

regards,
Florian

3 Likes

Wonderful @Florian_Reiterer! Thank you very much for this - we really appreciate it.
I’ve added your new stream and tested it - no problems.

Thank you again Florian.

Brian

Thanks!
Does the cover-art get through to you guys?

No it doesn’t Florian. At present Roon can’t process that and relies on identifying the track and artist and presenting the user with an appropriate album.

I’m curious as to where the album art is - I don’t see it in the stream or your website.

Brian

I was just curious; since i serve files with cover-art embedded to RSAS, i was hoping cover-art would make it into the stream - yet it doesnt look like it for a start.
I’m new to Rocket Stream Server so i was just checking!

Thank You indeed Brian!

I don’t think it’s there

Nothing else advertised.

EDIT
I don’t believe Icecast type streaming can deal with cover art. The only way is to send separate flac files with embedded art (which is where we started).

So, did Roon give you some artwork by identfiying track and artist?
Would it then be helpful to try and get the “album”-tag included?