Live Radio Presets Not Playing on Roon with NAS Setup (ref#MCLR3H)

What best describes your playback issue?

· Music doesn't start when I press "Play"

What type of Zone is affected by this problem?

· *All of my Zones* are affected.

Does the issue affect all file formats?

· The issue *only affects one file *format.

Which format is giving you trouble?

· Other

Is your device connected directly to the Roon Server via cable or over the network, or is it chained through another device (such as a streamer, Roon Bridge, or Roon Remote)?

· It is connected through a different device (e.g Rasberry Pi)

Does the device play audio from another source when using the same connection?

· The device has no problems with another audio source

Have you checked that Roon is whitelisted in any firewalls?

· I've checked the firewall and the issue remains

If the device has multiple output options, do the other options work as expected?

· Only one output type is affected while the other output type works as expected

Is the device using the latest firmware as per the manufacturer?

· Firmware is up-to-date but the issue remains

What are the make and model of the affected audio device(s) and the connection type?

· 2012 Mac mini

Describe the issue

I'm transitioning from a rather old Mac mini (server, player) connected to a Weiss DAC, with my Library stored on a Synology DAC. I've updated the NAS to a DS923+ with 16GB RAM and this is now running as a server using ROONonNAS. I've successfulkly installed the bridge software on the Mac mini and all my library music plays, Tidal plays, but none of my preset Live Radio stations are playing. I've tried deleting and then adding them; they still don't play. Other Live Radio stations that hadn't previously been saved will play. How can I fix this?

Describe your network setup

DS923+ DSM7.2.2 ROONonNAS: ethernet connected Mac mini Roon bridge; Weiss Minerva DAC

Sounds like you missed to install the ffmpeg codec that would allow the decoding of most internet radio streams. Please see the appendix from roononnas.org’s installation instructions.

Thanks😊. It does help to RTFM😂

OK, I’ve downloaded the ffmpeg codec and expanded it. I’ve read the instructions but don’t understand them at all. In 40 years I’ve gone from a DEC PDP11 user who built his own PCs, marvelled at Windows 286 and OS/2, to a deskilled Mac user who uses drag and drop and has forgotten about command lines and terminals. Is there anyone that can translate the ffmpec installation steps into ordinary language for me?

Copy the unpacked ffmpeg file into the folder that the instructions tell you? (I think you may have to add execution permissions as well).

do I transfer the ffmpeg-7.0.2-amd64-static folder into /bin, or just the contents of ffmpeg-7.0.2-amd64-static into /bin?

As the instructions say, only the single file called ffmpeg from the archive needs to be copied to the <<Your selected database location>>/RoonOnNAS/bin folder.

1 Like

OK, thanks for your patience, all is working now. Everything is obvious once you understand it!

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.