Local music, still relevant?

I keep local music because of copywriting. When the executives will become reasonable I’ll delete.

I hate the missing tracks in an album or the appearance - disappearance of a whole one.

Missing tracks is so infuriating. Why bother with it at all if it’s not complete.

5 Likes

A recent example of mine is R.E.M which seems to have the first song ‘Man on the Moon’, from The Great Beyond Album missing. Highly annoying… But, I found it recently in a charity shop for 50p, so I’m happy now.

1 Like

I agree, missing tracks makes me irrationally angry, and in the past I’ve scoured the darker corners of the internet for the album just out of spite.

Sheldon

1 Like

My gosh. Yes. My music collection of 42,000 files is 40+ years of curation, and I know I can shuffle it all and I will love everything.

It might depend upon your age and curation effort. But Roon makes my local collection feel as special as it is. I don’t want or need streaming services when I have my own.

4 Likes

Having said what I did, I do like having Qobuz to supplement my local collection and discover new music (which sometimes leads to purchases to add to my local collection :+1:).

1 Like

I stopped paying for streaming music. I want to own my music.
If I like a track I just buy it and add it to my collection.

3 Likes

Curiosity - how do you use Roon to find new tracks you might like if you don’t have streaming?

I’m fully on board with the part that says “if I like it I buy it” (not my style, but I totally get it). But what pathways do you have to new music?

1 Like

I don’t use Roon for that. I know I should and it’s great. I just use youtube music to find new music I may like.

1 Like

no offense but that sounds amazingly inconvenient

Fascinating to me… I totally respect it, 'cause it works for you, and it’s none of my business whatsoever - but Roon is such a more satisfying music discovery service to me than any of the streaming services natively, and you already have it. Sorry, it’s a jerk thing to say “what you do is fascinating to me”, I just mean maybe that what you say reminds me that I could totally do it differently. Thanks.

I agree :wink:

1 Like

Its easier for me as I’m very picky. Which is a curse. I may go back to Qobuz in the future. But, I like owning my stuff.

Well, Roon’s “Discover” feature does occasionally inspire me to listen to long-neglected portions of my music collection. And while I’ve listened to my almost all of my collection in the past 50+ years (long ago, when some of this I had on vinyl and tape), a LOT of it hasn’t been through Roon. So when I get to revisit my old music through Roon and read about it, it gets me to looking at other related things that I might not have (much rarer these, days though.)

I listen the the radio but mostly discover new music through the following sources:

I then sample those things from Bandcamp or iTunes store (not Apple Music).

I then buy from one of the following:

• Bandcamp
  • Qobuz download store
  • HDTracks
  • ProStudioMasters
  • 7Digital
  • Or a CD, used or new, from Amazon or eBay.
  • If none of the above, then iTunes.
4 Likes

In my case, local music is very relevant because I have at least a few hundred albums that aren’t available on streaming services. In fact, since I primarily listen to classical music and the rate of new releases is significantly less than it was before the age of streaming, Qobuz is mostly a luxury in my case.

1 Like

While at this stage, I’m all digital (movies, music, books), I very much want to have my own files and not rely on the cloud.

Companies, software, licenses, they all change over time. What if a favorite album of mine becomes unavailable? What if a remaster I don’t like gets published and it becomes the only choice? What if their software changes and I don’t want to keep using it anymore? What if the price goes up and I can’t afford it anymore? Keeping my own files is literally the only way I can guarantee I’ll be able to listen to my music on my own terms.

Heck, Roon going always-online is a good example of this. I truly despise companies pushing always-online for no good reason, it’s deeply anti-consumer. But while I can certainly listen to my music through the competition, I’m losing my tags and moving playlists is an unnecessary pain.

The more you tie your media to any one software or service, the more difficult it is when you want to move on. And that’s not a bug, it’s a feature: it’s a way to keep consumers onboard through unpopular changes.

1 Like

LP’s have been and will always be the ultimate local music. The degree of engagement required- one can’t be stoned/drunk/altered to a degree impairing manual dexterity, and one has to be around to change the record over- is one reason. Then there is sound quality- LPs are the aural equivalent of a film negative (35mm over a mid-fi system, medium to large format over hi-fi) to a digital file. Yes, the quality has improved greatly, such that it’s hard to distinguish a hi-res file played by a great DAC to an LP; but they do sound different. Finally there’s the own vs rent aspect- I much prefer and practice the former rather than the latter in all other aspects of my life and won’t make an exception with music.

I would very much love a comeback of SACDs same like vinyl experienced. :slight_smile:

The few SACD rips and DSD purchases that I have in my collection are just beautiful. And the physical collectors editions from Japan should be really something most collectors will enjoy.

And there are new SACD releases of Jazz music that are of amazing quality. Or the stuff on native DSD is great.

And SACD is the perfect thing between digital “media” and physical collection for me. It’s hi-res and often of high quality. Just perfect for someone that uses it with roon.

Sadly I just can’t afford importing the stuff from Japan at 40-60€ a album :sweat_smile::sweat_smile::sweat_smile:.
Or the OOP stuff that goes for 100-200€ a pop.

1 Like

The two are not mutually exclusive. I have Qobuz and am always buying. I use it for listneing to new releases c, recommendations from users on here or to explore the wider catalogue of music from artists I have to see if I want to buy the others. If i really like it I buy it when funds allow and stream it until I get it. I also use it so I have digital copies of some of my older Vinyl that are hard to find hard copies on CD or I dont play them enough to warrant another purchase.

I’m on the fence about SACDs. If I can ask, what player do you have?