Local Roon Library but SACD/CDs are out of print

:alien:

(there really needs to be a Buddha emoji)

Thanks for the link.

1 Like

Oh come on, if you are going to get Dylan….

2 Likes

From your now playing: The place means nothing to me ahh Vienna.

In addition to nearly 80 CD rips of various masterings, I have Dylan on vinyl. I guess I’m a fan.
Rough and Rowdy Ways on vinyl is one of my favourites.

2 Likes

It’s a classic, I have that on vinyl and Dylan haha.

1 Like

Beautiful set :slight_smile: really difficult to believe that something like that is nearly 20 years old.

Would be interesting to know how these releases compare to the Mofi SACD

It would. I first looked at mofi, most of their Dylan are 29.99$ and also out-of-stock. Some mofi versions are remastered some are original masters. My understanding is that the 2003 set were remastered as well. The Daniel Lanois produced Oh Mercy and the Jack Frost produced Love and Theft are outstanding. Many of the other recordings reveal elements that aren’t as pronounced on the CD or vinyl I own of the same recordings. Guitar fills, organ swells are sweeter and fuller. My net cost including shipping was under 18$ a disc.

Still it’s interesting to compare.

1 Like

Has anyone looked at HDTracks? They have many HD formats as well as the standard CD quality versions, all tracks are DRM free and are offered in various audio formats?

I also looked at the SACD are an option but found HD Tracks as a more reasonable option

/cl

I’ve looked but HDTracks doesn’t sell in Canada. I have purchased ProStudio Masters. Depending on the release they are 24/96, 24/192 or even DSD for some classical albums. They also provide technical notes about the source (i.e. 96 kHz / 24-bit PCM – Universal Music Group Studio Masters). Good value and easy drm-free downloads, I imagine that HDTracks is equivalent just serving a different geographical market. Though not all artists are represented, no Dylan on ProStudio Masters.

I have about 50 SACDs and almost as many DVD-A and DVD-V music discs. I had the SACDs ripped professionally by Golden Ear Digital. You send a blank drive and your SACDs and Golden Ear rips them onto the HDD in DSF format. Took a few weeks for him to complete the task. Everything came out great.

As has been pointed out, many of out-of-print SACD titles are up there in price on the secondary market…

EDIT: Not SACD DSF files, but Qobuz Sublime has very good pricing on high res recordings.

2 Likes

Nice share thanks

1 Like

What a great way for them to get their hands on all these SACD releases. And all they need to do is copy the files that they already got to a harddrive. And they get.paid for that…

1 Like

Certain jobs have perks…. :grinning:

1 Like

BCBC,
I think it has been a while since you have looked at HDTtacks, I also live in Canada, no issues purchasing music, and I did a quick look, lots of Bob Dylan listed.

/cl

Thanks for the tip!

edit I’ve been poking around the HDTracks site and while it has an impressive catalogue there is scant information on the provenance of individual releases, in many cases it’s not clear whether the material is remastered or which remaster it is. Still there’s a 20% discount on the first order so I’m starting a shopping list… :wink:

I think the Dylan stereo Sony SACDs sound brighter than the MFSL SACDs, for the most part. I own both for all of them (I think) except Love And Theft.

Be sure and rip the redbook layer from that Sony box set. I found the masterings to be different than the SACD layer on some, especially Nashville Skyline. There is more bottom end on the redbook layer but it loses the airiness of the SACD layer.

I’ll do that, thanks for the tip. I have redbook rips of the original CD releases but not this edition.

I have it on double L.P. which is not bright but cannot compare to Sacd as I do not have it .

2 Likes

Maybe someone knows about this particular case"

The rolling stones in Mono. There is a Boxset remastered in 2016 on qobuz.
And there will be Japanese releases in October in Mono as well. But it the description they mention it’s from the 2016 remasters by Ludwig & Teri Landi

Are those the same masters ? If yes I will stick just what with qobuz has already available and maybe even purchase the digital files .

The qobuz Boxset is 15 CDs.
The mono Boxset on qobuz would be 42€ with the sublime subscription… while the cd re-rereleases would be 300€

1 Like

What you want is the Stones in Mono in DSD which was sold by acoustic sounds for awhile. Not sure where you can get them now, if at all.

Well there are some used offers for 1500-2500€ for Boxsets. But in that case I will be fine with the Qobuz Boxset. What do the SACD offer that’s better?

I tried to research this but the discussion in some places always went somewhere else. And nobody could show measurements of any kind