Long gaps between tracks with different qualities/bitrates

Hey @UliR
As I have some time now, I would like to warn you that even a new SSD with your Nucleus may not completely solve the problem.

I have a concern about this:

Dealing with implicit messages is not easy. They have a great advantage that you don’t have to commit yourself, in case of doubt you can always deny and if all else fails, suspect the interpreter of not only good intentions. (Which I, explicitly speaking, do not have regarding Roon.)

What I didn’t realize until now was that your Nucleus Rev B only comes with an i3 processor.

So far I have always overlooked it, reading just Nucleus, and thought all good, - that could be wrong.

You may have already received the answer.

If you wanted to buy a NUC for Roon OS ROCK, would you even consider an i3 processor?
With the hope for a snappy gapless performance? And this is probably where the rub lies in connection with the latest updates, which may have changed something crucial.
Perhaps.
If you do some research, you can start thinking about it.

You wrote in this thread:

There was a post a little earlier, regarding the same problem you are having:

And a little earlier there was a post from @Danny regarding hardware requirements. Who may now be the only one who can clarify the specs required for a Nucleus today:

If you pick out the essentials here:

The Nucleus would hit CPU limits if you increased RAM

competing on hardware spec is not something we care to do because it doesn’t take into account software.

]…] will tell you that the iPhones all feel like they have better specs. It’s because iOS is tuned to make it feel great. Software decisions in iOS, like little-to-zero processing of backgrounded apps is the big reason why RAM is far lower than on all iPhones compared to […]

Fair enough.
But the question remains, what happens to a Nucleus if at some point, after an update perhaps, it turns out that “software tuning” is no longer sufficient to compensate for under-specced hardware …
or do we have to assume that this case will never happen?

As already mentioned, I would be glad if this turns out to be unfounded and your problem has another cause.
All the best.

1 Like