Looking for a cheap Roon ready active speaker

I tried it with my IKEA speaker and the SONOS iOs app and did not like the result.

Just get a friend with an iPad or iPhone to come visit, it only takes 5 minutes and stays on the Sonos device’s after that.

But good news on the IKEA purchase

1 Like

@Brian_Jones1, I think you’re confusing Sonos’ TruePlay function and EQ. TruePlay is Sonos’ spectral correction feature, but due to the need for individualized mic calibration, is only available on iOS devices. Basic EQ functions are present on all platforms.

I strongly encourage you to follow @Anthony_B’s suggestion, especially since you aren’t currently Trueplaying your Sonos devices. I use Roon DSP, along with leaving TruePlay enabled, on all my Sonos speakers.

I would also strongly encourage you to borrow a friend or family member’s iOS device, or even consider buying an older, still compatible one, and TruePlay all your Sonos gear. This is especially true if you have a home theater setup using a soundbar, sub, and surrounds.

Note that Sonos has not yet released TruePlay mic profiles for the most recent model iDevices (iPhone 14 for example), to the ire of many Sonos users. I try to look at the positive side of it, and interpret it as evidence of the attempt on Sonos’ part to attempt to make the results of the TruePlay analysis as accurate as possible, while still giving users the convenience of using their phone’s mic without having to get them to resort to buying a separate external one.

As you can imagine, this Apple/Android difference in functionality sparks many flame rants and long threads in the Sonos forums and subreddit.

I hope this helps clarify the situation.

Cheers!

I had to redo mine for my arc recently as a recent firmware upgrade made previous Trueplay settings not possible for some reason. I had used my partners iPhone to set it up last time as I was Android myself, but summer I went back to iOS as could get the phone cheaper than other options. I would just ask a friend or relative that has iOS to come over and you borrow it for a few minutes.

1 Like

That’s one advantage the Ikea speaker has over my Nest Audio (pair for US $89) – there’s no obvious way to wall mount the Nest speakers. I guess two small shelves would do it.