Looking for advice/experiences with integrated amplifiers

This was a fun exercise contributing and suggesting as well! Enjoy your new kit.

This looks like a good article, and I see my Yamaha is in the comparison. Iā€™m trying to figure out how to find a copy of the magazine in the US. It looks like I can buy a single issue in digital form. Audiolab seems to not be available readily in the US they list a distributor on their website but itā€™s a guy you just email and ask about it.

Yes it has won a lot of comparison tests and got several 5 and 10 star reviews in the press in the last few months. I think it was released in around September last year so itā€™s fairly a new entrant to the market.

Edit:

https://hifipig.com/audiolab-6000a-amp-with-dac-6000cdt-cd-transport/

http://www.audiolab.co.uk/upload/files/HFC_444_Audiolab_6000A_Reprint-LOW.pdf

http://www.audiolab.co.uk/upload/files/HFC_446_GT_Intergrated_Amps_Reprint_Audiolab.pdf

http://www.audiolab.co.uk/upload/files/Audiolab%206000A%20HFW_Feb19[1].pdf

I had been digging around to see if I could find any other dealer or supplier for Audiolab in the US. It seems as though the one listed on the Audiolab website is all there is.

However I did find a seller on Amazon US if that is of any interest;

Tim, thanks for the research on this. I find it amusing that the dealer that has this unit for sale via Amazon (and they point out ā€œonly one leftā€) is in Green Bay, Wisconsin, clear in the middle of the country, while the supposed distributor is on the east coast (which is more of what I expected).

I am going to one of the big audio shows in April and will see if perhaps there is an Audiolab presence there of some kind, to take a listen. I did get the electronic copy of the ā€œHiFi Choiceā€ magazine and read through the reviews, they were quite interesting. My Yamaha fell into third place :frowning: but has the most inputs.

[edit]: one of the things I liked about the Yamaha which, so far, I am not seeing any of the other manufacturers provide, is the receiver function. Pandora, Tidal, SiriusXM and other services are all built into the unit without needing to use my phone or tablet to stream to the device via AirPlay or Bluetooth. Network radio, like ā€œRadio Paradiseā€ is a big one for me. All the various devices do allow this playback but only when streamed from another device, soā€¦I ponder the loss of that function. [end of edit]!!

Enjoy and thanks again for the tip. I might reach out to this seller and see where they get their stock and whether they will be at the audio show in any fashion, or reach out to Audiolab and ask the same thing.

Itā€™s good to know your experience. one thing I need to know, can it create 3D sound stage as described in many reviews it has very specious sound stage that each and every note of the music instrument can be heard. I mean something like holographic image.

I guess the only way to answer that for sure is to audition an example, maybe even in your own home if you can.

To get that degree of space in the sound stage is a challenge that mainly succeeds or fails based on the listening environment as much as the equipment. I know that in my room for instance I get a nice stereo image although the bass resonates a little bit due to the furniture that my speakers are very close too, which does cut across the sound stage a bit. I certainly wouldnā€™t call it holographic, Iā€™d need to spend a lot more on room treatments and isolation of the speakers etc.

If you have a dedicated listening room you would be in a better position to tune the sound but then again if you have a dedicated listening room you are probably in the market for a much more expensive amplifier!

Thanks for sharing!
A question about a specific comparison:
Iā€™m trying to figure out whether to go for the audiolab 6000a or the Mario. Itā€™s an upgrade from my Nad c 320bee that broke.
Itā€™s connected to q-acoustics speakers.
Iā€™m trying to avoid brightness at all cost, the bass and the bass punch is important for me.
Based on your comparison between the two, how would you describe the difference in sound and specifically in the bass section.
Unfortunately the Bario is not important to Israel so I ant hear it but I can order it from Uk.
Thanks ,
Nathan.

Based on my listening the Audiolab is probably a little brighter, it is certainly clearer with a more spacious sound stage. The Rega is maybe more punchy and rhythmic but I found it more tiring to listen to and it certainly lacked detail in comparison.

Obviously matching to your room and your speakers is key, mine are B&W 707 S2s which are quite bassy despite their small size and I didnt want or need to go any lower in my room. I was interested in power to drive the B&Ws which are not the most sensitive speakers, good control and balance at lower volume levels and detail/clarity. For me that was the Audiolab.

From a practical perspective the Audiolab is the winner hands down, it has all the inputs you could want and uses the same DAC as the well received Audiolab M-DAC. The Rega is analogue only.

Here is a decent comparison if you havent already seen it;

They give it to the Rega, but it was not so clear cut at all for me.

Well this is my chance to put in a plug for Redgum Amplifiers. For some unfathomable reason Iā€™ve only seen them mentioned once in the Roon Forums.

Awhile back I upgraded my speakers to KEF LS50s, and needed a more powerful amp to drive them. As I result I came across these two articles by John Darko extolling the virtues of a, to me, previously unknown Australian amplifier maker.

Darko 1

Darko 2

Based solely on his glowing recommendation I took the plunge, and was rewarded with the most spectacular audio experience I will ever be able to afford.

Knowing how subjective audio is Iā€™m not going to belabour this. I just think the company deserves recognition for their amazing products.

Redgum Audio