Looking to build first ROCK NUC - question on multiple drives inside NUC

If I build a NUC12 with a 256GB or 512GB M.2 drive as the OS and DB store, and then add a separate (internal) 4TB 2.5" SSD to the same NUC, will ROCK see and allow me to keep all the music on that secondary drive? And will I also be able to see the drive/share elsewhere on my network (via SMB or other) so that I can add more music to the folder?

I searched in here, but couldn’t find anything this specific…

Thanks!

Yes, the SSD will be recognized and displayed in the web interface. Please refer to the following guide. Incidently, try to get the smaller drive, since 128 GB would be sufficient for ROCK.

1 Like

Thanks @Martin_Webster !

I realize ROCK has a very small footprint, and that 128GB primary drive would suffice, but does this also store the Roon Database? The secondary SSD in the NUC would be for lossless music storage only - and if I was able to create an additional share/folder on this drive, perhaps even some concert videos I’d like to be visible on the network - not something that would be monitored by Roon though. Am I talking crazy here? :joy:

You can’t use the 2.5" internal SSD in this fashion - the entire drive becomes the default Watched Folder.

You could add USB drives, and these can be partitioned into Watched Folders for Roon and folders for other purposes (e.g. backup of the Roon database) and can be accessed over the network.

And, yes, the M.2 SSD is used to hold the Roon database.

1 Like

Thank you both! :pray:

The OS drive cannot store music in a ROCK system. Music can only be stored on the secondary internal drive, OR, an external USB hard drive.

With an external USB hard drive, you could host both the music in a watched section AND the video in an unwatched section. Internal drives cannot be so segmented.

1 Like

Thank you… Would the presence of video files in a watched section, say on that 2nd internal SSD, cause any issues, or perhaps some messy results when looking through the music library?

Watched Folders are designed for audio files. Using that storage for holding video files is probably asking for trouble. Personally, I would not do this.

2 Likes

You can create any normal folder nesting you want on the SSD and Windows will show it

This is mine

Each folder has A…Z subfolders then a subfolder per Artist then a subfolder per Album

I just copied a video file into a watched folder and it doesn’t show in Roon , a those file types are not in Roon’s Supported File Types. The ReadMe TXT file for example doesn’t show up either. Audio Books do but they are MP3 , a recognized audio format for Roon

Whether any video files would cause issues I don’t know but clearly Roon would ignore them.

2 Likes

Thanks @Mike_O_Neill

I tried the same on my Roon server (QNAP NAS) and didn’t see any issues with placing multiple MKV files into a watched folder. And after a busy few weeks with work, I’m finally off to download ROCK now and start playing with this new NUC. :sunglasses: