Lost The Plot A Bit : U2 + Denafrips Terminator DAC w/ Roon - Upsampling Setup / Settings

Fairly experienced Roon and Lumin user. I was sticking to “Roon Only” for quite some time with a previous T2. Never bothered with up-sampling etc. I only just recently started to experiment around and change settings etc.

Recently-ish upgraded to the U2 streaming transport (not mini) and that’s going direct into a (new for me) Terminator Plus DAC via a USB connection. With a final analogue / RCA out from the Denafrips into my amp.

I’m ready to try out different settings and up-sample around BUT I’m quite confused. I recall there being a “DSP Engine” but I never paid much attention to that and it seems to have been recently replaced with MUSE (which might be auto-generating settings for me?)

Using Roon’s desktop app to try and make the most basic changes with the Same Rate Conversion settings, it’s immediately clear I have no idea what I am doing and I seem to be getting a bit more lost in the weeds with many available options in both Lumin and Roon’s app.

If it’s any help, I am almost exclusively playing 16/44 and 24/96 FLAC files which are stored locally on a NAS. I am using LEEDH (no pre-amp). Which might mean that I am limited to DSD128 And if I want to change try DSD anything over 128+, I would need to disable Leedh in the Lumin app?

I’m additionally a bit confused on the signal / up-sample path on my most recent try : With DSD sample rate conversion selected, it looks like it’s cleanly converting to DSD128 but then changing back to PCM at the very end?

Then throw in Sample Rate Conversion Filters, Sigma-Delta modulators, Parallelize Sigma-Delta modulation and processing with the DSD->PCM Filiters and DSD->PCM Gains. It all makes we me want to run away and just got back to my old non-up sampling lifestyle :rofl:

Appreciate any help, tips or guidance you can lend as I start over again!

Whatever happens after RAAT step in the signal path is beyond Roon’s control, so you should check the settings on the steamer and/or DAC.

I for one vote for the non-up-sampling lifestyle. I play almost exclusively 16/44 FLAC and let the DAC do its magic.

2 Likes

Digital volume control will necessitate PCM. If you input DSD to the Lumin, it will convert to PCM. Or you can disable digital volume control.

AJ

1 Like

Ohhhh Thank you! This solved one big mystery for me. I was misunderstanding the available DSD128 with Leedh and assumed that was available without the later PCM conversion. Super appreciate it!

1 Like

Lumin volume control works on DSD only if you use Lumin with a built-in DAC for analog output such as X1 P1 T3 T2 S1 D3.

If you use Lumin with volume control for digital output, DSD will be converted to PCM.

In your setup, since you don’t have a preamp, I recommend you set Roon DSP Engine to convert all DSD to 352.8kHz. Do not convert PCM to DSD.

When using Roon DSP Engine for PCM to DSD conversion, this should be enabled.

The default is 30kHz. It is probably safest to keep this setting, but you may try 50kHz to see if it sounds better or worse to you.

(Only) If you find that your DSD albums sound lower in volume than your PCM albums, and are bothered by it, you may try using this option, but there is a risk of clipping if the DSD album is not mastered correctly.

2 Likes