LSX II LT announced

A new version of the KEF LSX II is out.

From the specs, it seems “LT” means “Lite” - a few missing features, and not roon ready.

Any comments whether that is in the plans already?

Sounds like a very attractive alternative as the LSX II were a bit on the pricy side for many customers while offering a bunch of features most people do not need. Almost bought a pair for my bedroom and now considering the LT version.

I was surprised to know they still come with HDMI ARC and almost all streaming features. Not being ´roon ready´ is not really a problem as they seem to offer Chromecast. Does anyone know if they will be ´roon tested´?

So in my understanding the main disadvantages seem to be a missing AUX IN and that they look pretty plain compared to the posh woven structure of the LSX II.

I ordered them and will give them a try as USB speakers on my Mac.

Let’s.hope they fixed the annoying USB bug the LSX II had

Sound and performance are said to be equal to LSX II, so have fun! If they sound a bit lame or dull, I recommend to enhance the treble via app, mine needed +2dB.

Which was the USB bug? I used solely Wifi, Ethernet and HDMI.

Whenever I selected the, volume went to max. Not usable.

“In the plans”?

Kef have taken the LSX II (to save costs and create a lower level offering at a lower price) they have removed a number of features to create the LT version including removing roon ready support.

So it won’t ever be roon ready.

The KEF LSX II LT arrived today. They look a lot better than on the web site (they looked quite cheap and plasticky there…)

Initial setup was stuck at the WiFi connection (why does that never work on the first try?), but I eventually got them working. Unfortunately, they behave differently on USB-C than the LSX II: They do not allow to control volume from the computer, only through KEF Control.

That’s not what I expected, or am willing to do during normal usage, so I’ll be sending them back.

They did show up in roon as “roon ready (uncertified)” :wink:

1 Like

That seems very odd. What kind of OS is the computer you’ve connected them to running?

I’m on MacOS; I just unpacked them and tried again, just too make sure I’m not an idiot.
Even tried different cables. No dice.

This is strange. I use the LSX II mostly via a USB cable and have no issues with volume.

I do have an issue with MacOS spuriously messing with the left/right balance (which I want in the middle). This turns out to be a long-standing OS but for which a utility exists that monitors for balance changes and resets to whatever you want. That doesn’t sound like what you’re describing though.

Just to be sure - when you say that you can’t adjust the volume, is that issue specific to Roon or are you saying that even if you use something like Apple Music, changing the volume on the Mac doesn’t have an impact?

We are both talking about the LSX II LT , right?

I’m using an LSX II, not the LSX II LT. I’ve used numerous USB speakers with MacOS and haven’t had the issue you describe. Given that the LSX II and the LSX II LT are similar, it’s confusing that you’re seeing the behavior you describe. It might be worth a call to KEF tech support if you’re in a geography that offers phone support.

I had to call them once, and they were very helpful. The first pair I bought behaved very bizarrely. No matter what I did, I couldn’t get it to connect to my WiFi network for setup. I called and explained what I was seeing, expecting to go through the regular tech support run around where you spend the first hour trying to convince the person on the other end that you’re not a moron. Instead, the guy asked a few quick questions and said, “I know what’s happening. You got a pair intended for store display, which will never work correctly. Go return it!”

In other words, it’s worth the call.

So if they show up in Roon, did you try to run them with Roon and if so, did it work?

The press coverage I read specifically notes that the LSX II LT are not Roon Ready. This is one of the differences between the LSX II LT and the LSX II.

The KEF US website shows this:

Thanks for the information! That puts the LSX II LT out of the competition for my home office speakers.