Lumin A1 in 2024

As a chronological continuation of my Lumin A1 in 2023 thread, I want to update everybody here on some fun developments.

One: RoonOnly Mode has been a vision for me and I cannot live without the SQ uplift it brings. I only bring the A1 out of that mode to do important FW updates, then right back into RoonOnly mode.

Two: I have found that I tend to prefer straight PCM from Roon and not upsampling to DSD64. I know the Wolfson DAC’s are better suited to native DSD, but this is a slight personal preference I have developed so far. Subject to change.

Three: I have recently added some 3M AB7050HF EMC (RFI/EMI absorber) to the A1 and select chips on the boards. I’ll include images in this post (and the next, if necessary) to show. This modification was triggered after I made the “Chord Qutest RFI mod” as documented on other forums. This is where one applies (in the original case 3M AB5030 & 5050) RFI EMI absorber to the inside of the Qutest case, the Xylinx FPGA, the USB XMOS chip, and a few others. I did that with the much more effective AB7050HF and, WHOA. It was an obvious step change in performance in every area. Far more refined in mids and treble, better leading-edge transients, enhanced depth/width/height of SS, more bass resolution, better downward dynamic range (decays/reverb tails), etc. HUGE win. So I began a deep dive on FPGA’s, which bled over into any chip with meaningful processing power. RFI and EMI that is internally generated by these processor chips is a common problem in modern electronics. RFI is directly radiated by the FPGA’s/CPU’s themselves (the actual silicon), it is also carried on the surfaces/traces of boards and of metal cases, transmitted along remote/connector cables, etc.

After that revelatory change on the Qutest, I decided to apply the same mitigation measures to the Lumin A1. I’m sure glad I did.

I basically used my new knowledge from the Qutest mod to enhance the same design concepts that Lumin took great care to implement; i.e. physical isolation of the digital and analog sections. A friend who does engineering for Space and space-adjacent projects says that RFI radiated from FPGA’s and SoC’s can basically “ping pong” around inside of an enclosure, generating and radiating RFI/EMI from 1Mhz to well past 5Ghz, depending on the chip, attached traces, implementation, operating frequency of the chip (higher/faster is apparently worse for RFI), case construction etc. Hence why I placed it above and below the digital board. It can also run across the surface of metal cases in what I can best relay is akin to the skin effect we know of in cables; he went into great depth and it got over my head pretty quickly.

3M AB7050HF page: https://www.3m.com/3M/en_US/p/d/b10223533/

1 Like

More images:

1 Like

3 Likes

So, what did all this careful disassembly, modification, and reassembly net me for my hard work? Time invested was about 3 hours; taking it slow and constantly/properly grounding one’s self is vital, IMHO.

In sum, a lot like what I got from the Chord Qutest mod. I would say the improvements are more subtle; maybe 70% of what I obtained with the Chord, but I don’t have a relatively powerful FPGA radiating into the same tiny compartment as the rest of my DAC.

What I’m hearing after the first several hours of careful listening:

1. noticeably more refined in mids and treble (esp obvious on: female vocals, strings like violin/viola, harpsichord, brass of any type, and cymbals). That clear sense of better resolution and more air/space, but everything still presents as more relaxed and refined. Not unlike the same type of improvement in moving from my old D2 to the A1. In fact, very much like that.

2. better leading-edge transients (this was broadband, from deep bass to treble)

3. enhanced depth/width/height of SS (a physical expansion in these dimensions)

4. more bass resolution (the tonal and harmonic insight into upright basses and percussion kits is enhanced nicely)

5. better downward dynamic range (decays/reverb tails seem to go on further, and include more of the original space)

The fun doesn’t stop here, because I’m working on something fun with Revelation Audio Labs. Coming soon. :sunglasses:

1 Like

Good info! I’d like to try this with my T1 and was wondering what sizes of 3M AB7050HF did you get and from which distributor did you buy from? Any help would be great!

Ben

1 Like

I get the ~8.5"x11" sheet and cut from that. There are a few trusted vendors I use on eBay.

I would advise to remain in the 3M AB7XXX series as it is a step-change improvement over the older AB5XXX series of EMI/RFI absorber. Be mindful that the thickness of the 7050 is .5mm (i.e. non-trivial). If you have a case cover for another piece/brand that telescopes over an inner chassis (like Naim Classic series), then you would want to search for the AB7010 (.13mm thick).

Can DM you some seller suggestions (so much turnover on fleabay that any thing I suggest here will likely be stale in a few months).

Awesome! Thank you! Please do send me your safe sellers for the 3m sheets. TY!

Ben

1 Like

DM sent, @Benjamin_Gold :slightly_smiling_face: :+1:

Oh and for the audience here, I want to be very clear; there is simply no feasible way in which this type of modification/upgrade could ever be featured on a production-line product without a very large cost increase. Assembly would have to be paused at multiple different intervals of production just to apply the 3M tape. There’s just no way to do it in a cost effective manner. I mean, Taiko’s Extreme server doesn’t have this feature set to mitigate RFI and it costs more than $30k USD.

So, please understand, this fun upgrade is in no way a critique or criticism of Lumin and the superb A1 they created. This is more tantamount to putting a fully blue-printed engine in an already-superb car. In fact, it is honoring the design intent that Lumin went to great lengths to create (I mean, just LOOK at the beautiful case!). It’s just not a series production option.