Lumin and Linn app compatibility

Hi all. I recently purchased an ex-display Lumin M1 and as I’m waiting for it to arrive, I downloaded the Lumin app. I was surprised to discover it recognised and can control my Linn Sneaky DSM. Is there something similar about the underlying streaming gubbins? Will I be able to group my Lumin and Linn in Roon?

1 Like

The Lumin app has long been a favourite with Linn DS users as an alternative to Kinsky and Kazoo control points. There’s another - fidata(?) - that works too, or did.

Michael

2 Likes

That’s by design. Lumin app is designed to interoperate with Linn hardware with maximum possible compatibility, so that local file playback, Qobuz, and Radio may work (after proper configuration). Volume control is also compatible. Switching source should also hopefully work. If any of these does not work, let me know. (Tidal won’t work due to Tidal OAuth restriction.)

No, the other is not Roon Ready, but Lumin is Roon Ready. You can only group Roon Ready devices.

2 Likes

Lumin was, after all, based on Linn’s OpenHome protocol, and some would argue their original models were knockoffs of Linn’s streamers.

Were they knockoffs of Linn streamers or is Lumin Linn’s actual OEM? Honest question, no sarcasm.

Not sure how that old rumor got started, but Linn makes their products in Scotland, and as far as I know always has. From the Linn website:
"Linn products look as good as they sound; they’re even beautiful on the inside. Each system is built by hand in our Glasgow factory, and bears the name of the engineer who made it. "

Linn introduced their fist streamer, the Klimax DS, in 2007. They made their operating system open-source. Lumin introduced their first player in 2012. It was very similar to the Linn, with their operating system based on Linn’s OpenHome. Where Lumin took a step forward was in DSD playback in their first streamer, something Linn resisted until a few years ago. Also Lumin leapfrogged Linn with their control app, which was much more flexible and user friendly. For a while Linn’s user interface was as bad as their streamers were good, so many of us with Linn streamers used the Lumin app. However Linn’s app has gotten better, and now of course we have Roon, but what continues to set Linn apart is their hardware and DAC development. Their latest Klimax Organik is among the best digital sources at any price.

Lumin offers the followings that Linn hardware do not (to the best of my knowledge, as of today):

• Leedh Processing Volume
  • DSD256 and DSD512 playback that actually work in Roon
  • Roon Ready instead of Roon Tested
  • Tidal Connect (in order to use Tidal app with no degradation of sound quality)
  • Support for Plex
  • MQA (regardless of one’s preference, it is necessary for Tidal so that Tidal MQA track is played at expected quality rather than degraded)
2 Likes