Lumin D2... Could it be a perceivable upgrade in sound quality?

I suspect this might reflect the change to RCA output - in my testing on the same amp, volume matched, I certainly found that balanced output was preferable. FWIW I didn’t notice any change to the sound with the move to 12.0. You might want to post your signal path just to confirm that nothing odd is going on.

1 Like

Thanks for the answer.
I’m pretty sure the XLR sounds better, I’ve been using for more than one year. But the difference is very evident… Too much… And the Mojo uses a 3.5mm to RCA split cable.

What do you mean for signal path?

Just a screenshot of your signal path from Roon for the D2, to rule out any oddities.

No. Lumin XLR output voltage doubles the RCA voltage. Lumin design prefers XLR. That’s why I always told users to use XLR (without conversion) if possible. Over the years most customers prefer XLR, only a very few exceptions prefer RCA. (Chord design prefers RCA, as far as I know).

Note that SQ comparison must not be done on grouped zones, because the music data may be digitally changed to compensate for synchronization. Please do it individually if you want to.

2 Likes

A digital delay only? That won’t change the data.

For hardware that does not have an adjustable clock (i.e. most audiophile DAC), RAAT does “stuffing” and “dropping” samples by design.

For details please refer to:

1 Like

Ok in this case I was very accustomed to XLR and the switch back has been shocking… :sweat_smile:

that SQ comparison must not be done on grouped zones, because the music data may be digitally changed to compensate for synchronization. Please do it individually if you want to.

I tried all… It is very perceivable with non grouped zones too.
All the stage is “pushed back”. Low frequencies are good (but not very extended) and there is a roll off from upper midrange to highs.

If RCA is such a compromise for D2 design and performances why don’t you raise the levels a bit?
I noticed you can lower audio output levels via settings, why not adding an HIGH feature (maybe for RCA only)?

Just a screenshot of your signal path from Roon for the D2, to rule out any oddities.

Nothing special.
Tidal streaming (44/16) straight to D2 and Poly without upsampling or DSP.

On T2 and X1 RCA voltage is higher, but that’s a side effect of keeping their XLR voltage comparable to competitors and cater to direct to amp setup. Otherwise the D2 RCA voltage is appropriate and is in line with industry standard.

2 Likes

I can confirm that lumin have a very good support in term of warranty. My devices bought from HK, and I moved to NZ, one night devices couldnt power up, so email their support and ship back to their office in HK, now my d2 is on it’s way back to me.
Thumbs up!

6 Likes

This is something that hifi shops and users should be aware of…
Stores always offers you comparisons, D2 is your entry level player and the vast majority of possible entry level customers out there use RCA.

I’ve opened this thread two years ago and today I’m still very happy with my D2, I’ve bought it online because there was no chance to listen to it in 2018. I’ve started with RCA and switched to XLR.
Today I’m so much accustomed to XLR and the fall back had been very perceivable…

As a very satisfied customer and 7 days per week D2 listener… I want to strongly recommend you to add further output levels for RCA to upcoming new products. A simple stupid Mojo+Poly makes D2 sound dull in comparison, and costs half… If I had a chance to listen them side by side (ignoring the fact that RCA levels are not only lower, but non preferable) I should have probably left D2 in the store… :wink:

As Peter has said, the output voltages of RCA & XLR differ, completely in-line with accepted industry standards. The default ‘volume level’/gain with XLR will always be higher than RCA, and in this respect the D2 doesn’t differ from any other piece of audio hardware out there. The XLR outputs will always sound ‘louder’, due to the higher output voltage.
Don’t mistake this higher ‘gain’ as anything more than it is.
Yes, XLR outputs will give you a higher S/N ratio due to the increased voltage, but once you account for the lower-level RCA gain, then sound-quality between the two outputs should be roughly comparable. I’ve found this with both my Lumin D1 & A1. Yes, the XLR’s are slightly better than the RCA’s, as Peter has said many times. But it’s not a ‘night and day’ difference.

um…rca and xlr…as i remember rca and xlr doesn’t make much different when i listen to my D2, apart from volume, i may have a damaged ears…
and i work for an large NZ radio company, those radio technician always laugh me to use xlr at home (to them xlr only better for longer cables.) and to be honest, with my M-dac, my DAP, my D2, my 789 amp, i hardly hear the different between balance and non-balance, and most likely i have damaged ear.

1 Like

It is not a matter of levels, it is something dealing with the whole spectrum. The stage is pushed back and high frequencies are rolled off.

I’m using right now a XLR to RCA cable and making an A/B comparison between RCA and XLR because D2 outputs both at the same time.

Not night and day but very perceivable.

I do trust Peter, I grabbed a D2 thanks to his advise too. But I do trust my ears, setup and listening room at the same time… I’m allowed to… I guess… :wink:

Lumin recommend against using both XLR & RCA simultaneously. This will have a detrimental impact on the SQ.

1 Like

Peter has commented elsewhere that this advice does not apply to the D2, due to the different output stage (compared to other models in the line-up). That said, I know he also generally advises against XLR -> RCA cables, and having been down this rabbit hole myself with the D2 I wish I’d listened to him earlier in the process!

I noticed it a bit… It has been a short test to check things. Btw the difference remains and is far from being subtle on my side… XLR outputs sound better. Period.

XLR to RCA cables are not the best solution but the only one (at the moment) that bring me D2 sound back… RCA to RCA doesn’t…

My current amp accepts up to 8V for RCA inputs… So the 4V of XLR is within this range.

Peter, I am strongly considering Lumin D2 as the streamer for my Felinks Echo headphone amp. Alas, the latter does not have XLR inputs. Will this dramatically reduce the SQ when fed by the Lumin RCA outs? The headphones I intend to use, BTW, are Audeze LCD-3, if this is of any relevance. Thanks for your response.

It will be fine.

If you are NOT scared off by the preloved 2nd hand market, a D1 while older is with only a lack of DSD128 very much the same and can easily be upgraded with an external 4A 12V LMPS.

This is what I went for after missing 2 D2’s for sale. I’m now a fan and the best thing is the ease of swapping streaming sources so my wife can just turn on the stereo and start streaming her spotify with no web based intervention like there is with SOtM and Sonore devices I have. Still has MQA support if you like that option too. My only gripe is the D1 only came in silver faceplate but ultimately it still fits in nicely as my system is a mix of silver and black…even my left & right channel amps are not the same.

1 Like