Lumin D2... Could it be a perceivable upgrade in sound quality?

Davehg here. As wklie notes, my time with the Lumin D2 and Roon thus far has been fantastic.

I first tried the Bel Canto E.One Stream DAC, which worked nicely as a Roon music streamer but the DAC failed to outperform my 15 year old TriVista DAC, let alone my Sony HAPZ1ES.

The D2 is another story. Super thrilled with it, especially the DAC. I especially like how it takes Redbook upsampled to DSD in Roon and renders beautifully. The balanced outputs are a big plus as my Woo WA22 uses them. Sound is both warm and detailed. I listened to the Chord Qutest which I liked but the Lumin has more warmth.

Nits? Very few - would be cool if it supported USB digital output, and it uses BNC SPDIF digital output connectors which are great for outputting DSD but now I’ve got to add another set of cable as I only have RCA style connectors. Small gripes to be sure.

I am tempted to try a Linear Power supply upgrade just because of the comments I read from those who have done so, but it sounds so good as is I am not in a hurry.

4 Likes