Lumin D2... Could it be a perceivable upgrade in sound quality?

1. Hardware
  2. When set to Renderer Only or No MQA Support, Roon Core will decode MQA to MQA Core. For non-MQA DAC, please set Roon MQA Capabilities to No MQA Support. Lumin app MQA should be set to MQA Digital Output (for U1) if you ever use Lumin app native Tidal for Tidal MQA playback.
  3. Please power cycle the whole network starting from the router / switches / WiFi access points, wait for a few minutes then power on the Lumin, iPad and Roon Core.
1 Like

Thank you Peter. Answers were very helpful.

Be safe!

If X1 is capable of 140dB dynamic range and T2 is 129db, how about the D2?

If it’s not on the web site, I’m afraid it’s not published.

Hi Peter,

I have a D2 hooked up to a primaluna Exp 400 integrated amp.

It doesn’t have XLR inputs. I previously was using a Parasound A21 that had XLR connectors. To my ears there was a noticible difference for the better with the xlr connectors. If I use a XLR to rca cable instead of rca cables is there any benefit? Almost all the information I have read says usung the xlr / rca cable is not an upgrade, basically the benefits of the xlr are wiped away. What would Lumin’s recommendation be?

I upgraded from a Node 2i mainly because I found the highs too bright and fatiguing. Was the reason I upgraded to the D2 and tube ampfication. D2 is a step up, upgraded to the Sbooster and mellowed the brightness a bit. I’ve read in the thread changing the settings to DSD can smooth out highs, sound more analog. I use Roon and the Lumin app. Can you break down the exact settings to use to have Roon convert everything to DSD?

Also, I have had an issue where Roon lost it’s sound quality, it’s been less stable than using the Lumin app, the Lumin App generally sounds a bit better but Roon allows easier playback. Is it common that using the Lumin app producer better sound quality?

I exclusively stream Tidal, how I use the D2.

My speakers are Focal 1028’s - tweeters are very reveiling but can be harsh, overwhelming depending on the recording. I have tamed that a bit with the D2 but looking maximize that, get the most analogue sound. I’ve swapped speakers and tried some different things, I think my ears are overly sensitive to the high frequency’s and the recording that are the worst offenders are hard rock / grunge which from what I’ve read is a common complaint.

Thanks in advance, sorry for the long email.

1 Like

If your amp only has RCA input, I recommend using the RCA output of the D2. If you use a XLR to RCA cable, the output voltage is doubled. There is a possibility that you may run into a problem of too much gain, so the practical volume on the amp may be restricted to the lowest range, and thereby affecting SQ.

This is my opinion, but there are other D2 users who may have a different experience.

If you only use Roon: in Lumin app, please set Custom Re-sampling to Off. In Roon, please use DSP Engine to resample everything to DSD64.

If you use both Roon and Lumin app for playback: In Lumin app, enable Custom Re-sampling, in the rows where you see “DSD” as a possible target, set them all to DSD. In the other rows, leave them as native. In Roon, again use DSP Engine to resample everything to DSD64.

As a Roon Ready partner, I have no comment. I assure you that the bits are the same i.e. not changed digitally, no matter you use Roon or Lumin app.

1 Like

As someone who also moved from a Node2 to the D2, and am also rather sensitive to overly harsh/bright presentations, I’d really recommend considering professional DSP/room correction as another pathway to addressing this. I use Thierry at HAF who was able to identify and overcome my perceived issue with my previous speakers (as well as transform the overall sound for the better).

Thanks for the advice and information!

I’ve been reading about room treatment and wondered if room correction would help the cause.

My wife has been really understanding, allowing me to put a good amount of coin and time into my set up. She saw me looking at foam room treatment panels and foam bass traps, that was where she drew the line.

Definitely worth considering - I’m sure room treatment is preferable in the first instance but many of us aren’t in a position to go down that route and I’ve been amazed at what good room correction can achieve. Lots of discussion of HAF on this thread if you haven’t already encountered it.

Thanks - just looked up HAF, looks promising and if you have gone on a similar path / journey with a successful outcome that’s hopeful for sure!

Hello Matthew,I am also considering upgrading(?) to the D2 from node2i. I’m not clear from your comments if the move to D2 was worthwhile, as you are now exploring DRC thru HAF as well to reduce harshness and fatigue as another attempt to reach “nirvana”. Maybe I should do DRC before getting D2?..more cost effective path to SQ improvement.

How has the node2i upgrade been for you? Worth the 4.5x price to your ears in SQ?

Hi,

I did A and B comparisons between the Node 2i and the D2. I preferred the D2, sound was a little warmer, soundstage we slightly more immersive with tighter bass. Highs were a little less harsh. That said, it wasn’t a massive difference and I’m guessing most people not really into audio would have a hard time distinguishing.

I did get a couple filters via HAF, the filters have helped tame the highs or harshness a bit,
Worthwhile upgrade for sure, especially for the price. I would try HAF with the Node 2i. I had already sold my Node 2i prior so unsure how it would have sounded but I’m sure would have been improvement.

What I have found in my journey is that I’ve spent many multiples above my existing gear to get far less return in gains but each purchase has resulted in better sound, the age old diminishing returns argument.

If you feel like you still want to jump into a different DAC / Streamer after the HAF filters the Lumin D2 with the S-Booster for the money is highly regarded by the majority of reviews / threads I’ve read.

1 Like

Thanks for your comments, Matthew. Helps a lot. I am going to take your advise and do the DRC tweak with the node2ai first…and wait for a used/demo D2 or DAC.

I have been considering the HAF…already made contact with Thierry. Just need to get the mic and do the measurements and send off to him.

Thanks again for your input.

A question I have about upsampling with the D2 - or most DACs for that matter. When I last played with different settings I found I preferred power of 2 upsampling using linear phase/precise on Roon with the D2. However, what I don’t understand is how the choice of linear vs. minimum phase upsampling in Roon impacts on the final signal, since this presumably depends on the DAC filter (which isn’t user-selectable on the D2, nor documented). Should the choice of phase in upsampling ideally match the DAC filter? If not, what happens if they’re different? The question has arisen as a point of curiosity on my part, in the context of some new HAF filters (which by default also use phase correction).

Unrelated, @wklie, there seems to be a minor bug in volume reporting between the D2 and Roon since recent Lumin updates. If I change the volume from 100 during a song, the signal path registers this. If I change it back to 100 again it does not seem to register this change. Can send screenshots if needed, though I haven’t fiddled extensively.

1 Like

According to Miska, “the first step up is sonically most critical”.

I’ll check the bug.

3 Likes

Thanks Peter…I guess that makes sense that it’s true, given the success of HQP and, indeed, of phase correction for room responses…I’m just curious to understand a little more about the interactions, on the back of some recent observations. Probably a different thread though!

1 Like

Lumin D2 review with measurements by Hi-Fi news:

1 Like

Congratulations on a deservedly good review :grinning:! And the measurements are good to satisfy the curious amongst us too.

3 Likes

I recently installed the Sbooster to my Lumin D2 and wouldn’t want to go back! It has made a profound improvement, drums are explosive guitars are more alive and the overall sound is much more dynamic.

2 Likes

OOI do you mind sharing what amp/speakers this is feeding? I’ve been on the fence about trying this with my D2 for a while but can feel myself leaning in that direction :grinning: