Lumin D2 - Help with recommended settings

OK, I’ve just taken delivery of the D2 and it sounds absolutely gorgeous through my LFD Zero mkIII amp and Harbeth Compact 7ES-3 speakers. I am streaming both from a local NAS drive with everything from CD-quality FLAC/ALAC (very few mp3s) to hi-res files up to 192kHz, as well as from a Tidal HiFi account.

I was wondering about the setting for best possible audio quality for everything including MQA. Currently, I have the D2 set to upsample evertything lower 176.4kHz to DSD and keep everything higher at native resolution. DSD is set to Bitstream. Does that make sense?

Other settings I’ve done: Switch digital output to off (using the analog ones), MQA mode to Analog Output.

Would love to hear feedback. Thanks!

2 Likes

In Lumin app, please turn off Spotify Connect and Lumin Streaming (AirPlay) if you don’t use these.

Since you’re using Roon, and if you generally prefer DSD sound signature, you can use Roon to upsample to DSD64, and leave Lumin internal upsampling turned off.

In Roon DSP Engine, turn on Parallelize Sigma Delta modulator. There are several Roon settings for DSD upsampling you can experiment with. If you find what you like, please share your findings.

2 Likes

Hej jag är inte så bra på de här måste jag ärkäna Så om du inte mistycker har jag en fråga. har en luminD2 kopplad til en Lyngdorf 2170 med phon kablar annalågt men sen har jag en nucleus har jag användning av den eller är de onödigt eller kan jag få någon förbättring ??? Tacksam för svar

Hey mate, sorry, but I am actually not Swedish even if my name suggests otherwise :slight_smile: Google translate doesn’t do a very good job translating your Swedish into English, but I think you’re saying that you have a D2 that is connected from the analog output to the input of your Lyngdorf 2170 amp. Your digital music is stored on a Roon Nucleus. Not exactly sure what your question regarding using Nucleus is, but the setup as described above sounds great to me.

Please add on if your question was meant to be different.

If you use Roon, you’ll need a Roon Core, and Nucleus will serve this need. Without Nucleus you can use a computer to run Roon Core instead.

I think there are three ways you can connect the Lyngdorf:

1. Lumin D2 BNC-SPDIF output -> Lyngdorf coaxial input

2. Lumin D2 Analog output -> Lyngdorf analog input

3. Nucleus USB output -> Lyngdorf USB input

You’ll need to experiment to find out which sounds best to you, and this is related to personal taste. Note that if you use connection 1 or 3, you may also experiment with setting Roon DSP to resample everything to 96kHz before feeding the Lumin D2 or Lyngdorf.

Note that with Roon you can do room correction with any amp, not just a specific digital amp that does room correction.

hi thanks for the answer I have connected D2 Analogly having Nucleus as a cord to be very good then I mean soft muscles in my ears now they are only if I have ball-launched cables or not. A big thank you for the help

Hi All, new to Roon with a new Lumin D2. Any updates on settings etc? Cheers

In Lumin app, please turn off Spotify Connect and Lumin Streaming (AirPlay) if you don’t use these.

If you don’t use the BNC-SPDIF digital output, you may turn off digital audio output as well.

Since you’re using Roon, and if you generally prefer DSD sound signature, you can use Roon to upsample to DSD64, and leave Lumin internal upsampling turned off.

In Roon DSP Engine, turn on Parallelize Sigma Delta modulator. There are several Roon settings for DSD upsampling you can experiment with. If you find what you like, please share your findings.

Without wishing to step on Peters extremely knowledgable toes, I would suggest only turning on Parallelise Sigma Delta Modulator if it is needed (Roon’s speed drops below 1.5). If you are getting better than that you should be OK and sticking closer to the Roon philosophy of only using one core for playback.

I am just setting up my Lumin D2 on Roon and I was wondering if keeping digital on would impact the quality of what i am getting on analog. I was thinking of sending the digital output to another preamp. But i wont do this if it impacts my Analog quality

It should not affect the analog quality.

However, something like DSD cannot be sent to analog and digital (DoP) simultaneously, so you’ll have to set Roon DSP Engine to convert DSD to PCM 176.4kHz.

How do you leave Lumin up-sampling off? In the Lumin app i have set the “Re-sampling” in the off position.

In Roon the Lumin settings are:

Max Sample Rate (PCM): up to 192kHz
Max bits per sample: (PCM) 24
Mac Sample Rate (DSD): up to DSD 28

That is correct.